Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Voltage regulator differences between 55 & 70?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Voltage regulator differences between 55 & 70? Reply with quote

I checked my Bentley and found nothing. Is there just one VR for the charging system or is there a specific VR depending on the alternator (55A or 70A) being used?
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one, works for both outputs.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Just one, works for both outputs.

Short, sweet, & to the point. Thanks!
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, And if you do not need an original the electronic one at your local FLAPS will work great!
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Voltage regulator ID Reply with quote

This is and old thread that I will ad to rather than starting a new one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are a date sequenced collection of 6v voltage regulators Made in Germany:

from bottom to top with changes

2K February 1954 round housing all screw terminals 160 watt

4L April 1955

5L May 1955

2P February 1958 square housing painted black all screw terminals slotted screw for cover 160 watt

7Q July 1959 riveted cover 180 watt

1S January 1961 slotted screw with white putty on cover spade terminal for +61

3U March 1963 Phillips screw on cover had white putty

407 July 1964 all screw terminal (dealership replacemtn?) Unpaiinted white putty on cover screw

Garbe Lahmeyer make- Two of them on the left of the row. No date stamp but known to have been used during this time period. Aluminum "VW" cover spade terminal for # +61 VW# 111 905 801 C

124 April 1971 Black putty on cover screw 190 watt

627 July 1976 not supposed to be painted black 190 watt

244 April 1982 slotted cover screw black putty

350 October 1983 not supposed to be painted black

367 July 1993 Still "Made in Germany"

The regulator resting on the license plate has no date stamping.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Fri May 06, 2016 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
tasb

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator differences between 55 & 70? Reply with quote

Here is an example of the regulator that preceeded the ones shown above. It is known as the "D" regulator due to its shape.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator differences between 55 & 70? Reply with quote

Tasb, the original post was regarding 55 amp and 70 amp alternators and their voltage regulators... which are Type 4 Bus alternators.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator differences between 55 & 70? Reply with quote

Yep, thanks Andy, I did a search and this is the thread with the title that matched best Embarassed I'll see if there is a way to move the information to a better posting.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage regulator differences between 55 & 70? Reply with quote

Great stuff, thanks for posting, I know that takes time. I can't be the only one with a box-O-regulators who wonders what they fit.

Perhaps a link in the FAQ's of the other applicable forums that jumps to your post on opening would be the best option?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: