Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fort McMurray fires
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts from those who sent PM's, figured I'd post here incase others were wondering.

We evacuated yesterday morning and spent about 17 hours in the vehicle until we reached Edmonton. Family is all safe. Streets/highways look like a scene from the walking dead... Ditches and roadsides filled with thousands of abandoned cars that broke down or ran out of gas.

I was not able to bring the buggy with me as we were rushed and focused on gathering family items in the house.

Heard the fire hit my street today, but don't know if my house has made it. Estimated 1600 homes lost in Fort McMurray this far.

As vain as it is (and I know it's pathetic) but I hope the buggy makes it... I love that thing.

Feelin' like Shocked Sad Crying or Very sad Shocked , trying to look like Laughing
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Glag you're safe. If there's anything us buggy community can do to help, just say the word. Be strong.
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Do we have any other "friends" in that mess?
Sickening watching it unfold on the news, even made the ABC news this evening.
I was always told that any press was good press but I can think of much better ways to hit the headlines. The good news is that, at least so far, there are no serious injuries or fatalities reported. Not so sure about about some of the pets that got left behind when people had to bug out right from work, couldn't swing by their homes. Many residents only got out with what was on their backs.
Fingers crossed....

I always felt that I could put up with some snow, cold weather rather than be harassed by hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes like our southern friends. Hadn't considered a fire like this, makes me thankful we live where we do.

Let's all keep our friends in our hearts tonight, that they all stay safe.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Oh my! That is something, I've been away from the TV for a few days, I just got word of the fires a few hours ago. I remembered that a few guys here were from Alberta and sure enough, the first post I saw was yours. I don't know what to say... I feel for you guys and I sure do hope that The authorities will somehow be able to get this thing under control.

Well at least your familly is ok, the rest, as painful as it may seem is only material.
If it turns out your buggy didn't survive this, I'd be willing to donate some parts, and maybe if everyone here pool their ressources together we could get you back on some wheels in no time. It doesn't replace all the personnal stuff, but it's the only constructive idea I had.

Like Vincent said, we are there if you need us and would be glad to be of any help.

Courage and resilience in the face of adversity.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

My best to you and your family, friends and neighbors. Such a tragedy for so many. Take care.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Thanks for the well wishes.

Unbelievable what has happened. The size of the fire, and the damage thus far is incredible. Estimated 1600 structures lost already.

I have heard this morning from a firefighter friend that my house is undamaged, hoping for the best.

Thanks for the offers for parts/support, I'm sure if there is damage insurance will help me in replacing it. just not sure how I would go about getting one... not like these are shelf items.

There are a few samba members in town, as well some other slick air cooled VW's in town. Here are some pictures from the car show last summer along with one of me and my Dad by the buggy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As well there are two other buggies in town I know of, haven't met up with one of em, but here is the one I did meet up with.

Cheers,
CWAT
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Donations to the Canadian Red Cross to help fire victims can be made here.
All donations are being matched by the government.

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action/action?ea.cli...aign=NO-DM

Moderator: I hope this is not against Samba rules, if so please remove.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

What a relief it must be to hear such good news after the chaos.

I knew you probably had insurance but you know, sometimes in the fine prints, some policies don't cover "acts of god". And I know if I was in such a position, I'd be awfully glad if the community helped me. Do unto others and all that... In some harder parts of my life I have benefited on more than one occasion from random acts of kindness, sometimes from total strangers. So I guess sometimes I just get a signal that "now is the time to pay it forward". I don't go about offering my spare parts to whoever needs em but when you see destruction on such a scale, it strikes a chord.

So the offers still stands if it turns out damage has been done and the insurance company is un-cooperative. But let's hope this story gets its happy ending after all and you get back to your un-scathed house and car.

And if you ever drive that buggy out east, feel free to PM me.

Edit: thank you for the link Hopkin, done!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

2 local realtors and a trucking company put out a call for non perishable food donations to go to the Edmonton food bank that is helping the fire refuges. We filled a 50 foot trailer in 7 hours. When I dropped off my donations there was only room for 3 more pallets of food.

Glad you're safe and your home is safe. I hope it stays that way. The winds have changed and starting to blow the fire away from the city.

Take care CWAT, hope it all goes well.

brad
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

I totally forgot you were up there. WOW, glad to hear your home was one that was spared. So much devastation.
We were in Kelowna (Both mine and my wifes families live there) when the fire went through and every one in our families were evacuated so I know what you are going through. It sux. The not knowing is the worst.
Sad to hear that a 15 year old was killed in a car crash evacuating from the area. A daughter of one of the fire department members I read. Be safe up there.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Just crazy!!!

Link

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Link

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

My heart hurts looking at the pictures and videos. Wish all safe passage during this trying time of your life. All that is burnt can be replaced as long as your life is saved.

Will be in my thoughts today and on.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvin767
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

My daughter is going to school in Edmonton, so I have been watching all of the news about this. I know she is still several hours away, but a Dad is still concerned. My heart also goes out to the people in Ft McMurray. It is horrible.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

calvin767 wrote:
My daughter is going to school in Edmonton, so I have been watching all of the news about this. I know she is still several hours away, but a Dad is still concerned. My heart also goes out to the people in Ft McMurray. It is horrible.

Yes very unsettling for sure.
If it helps any Edmonton is completely surrounded by farm land. No way a fire would ever do what it is doing to Fort Mac.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.5175065,-113.4880226,52421m/data=!3m1!1e3
Not very common but farmers would and have tilled fields under to stop grass fires in the past. Much more containable than a forest fire.

Edit, click on satellite view....
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

The evacuation was nutso... thousnads of vehicles left in the ditch, whether out of gas, broke down, stuck, or melted tires.

Driving through town fires on both sides of the roads...

Whole think is surreal.

Edmonton has been great, free attractions for the kids, keeping their minds occupied and having fun. As well the support from Alberta, Canada, and the world on this.
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Sent up to start bringing the plant back online, and to live in a work camp while there...

Not even two days in, evacuation #2...

A few more houses went yesterday as well a 600-800 room work camp (Black Sands).

This fire is relentless...
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Oh wow I thought it had moved away from the area moving south east (only know from what the news is reporting.......). That camp is straight north. Any more news about your house?
cwat1982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

The government posted an app with much more detailed satellite shots of each house. Plug in your address, and it gives you detailed pictures taken from the north, south, east, and west so everyone can get a good gauge on what they have left. As well they provide a status of your property ie. damaged, destroyed, ready to inhabit, etc.

I looked yesterday and the house looks good, hearing there is a fire in Timberlea once again so hopefully it stays this way.

Most of our thoughts right now are with family/friends/coworkers that have lost their homes, and how we can help them out once we are allowed to return.

Cheers,
CWAT
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fort McMurray fires Reply with quote

Just reading the wildfire is now estimated to be over 503,671 hectares in size. That is approx 1.2 million acres. unreal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: