Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Antenna Placement?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62 ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

In what year did the ghia's get a radio antenna as oe? Did dealers install radio's instead of factory in the early years? Reason I'm asking is from pics I've ever seen ghia's with antenna it's not in the position my is mounted in. We're there different placement for various years?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

I believe it was a dealer fit, certainly in the UK. Mine was further down the wing.

thesamba gallery photo on the subject: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=239610
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

From KGPR
This is where it goes
http://www.karmannghia.com/Gallery/kg_antenna_template.pdf

[Update: the KGPR site no longer exists and that template is NLA. A similar template is available on the Samba as part of a Ghia specific Bendix Saphire radio installation guide.... located here ]

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by sputnick60 on Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
62 ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Thanx guys.....I had a feeling mine was attatched in an odd place...plan is to remove it and have hole filled in. I don't have a stereo installed at the moment anyway. Surprised
MrBridger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Here's my ten pence/cents worth - I've just bought a genuine NOS Hirschmann Red Tip 2150 for my RHD '60 coupe. I believe it's correct for the year (although not intended for a Ghia apparently) and has the 58deg angled base. I'm pondering where I'm going to locate it. The quandary is whether to mount it driver's side, as most people suggest (for access to extend) but with the mirror in the way or go for the passenger side, which offers a nicer balance (in my opinion). The KGPR template mentioned above is for a later model ('68-'70?) with a door mounted mirror. It's slightly different matter if you've got the wing (fender) swan neck mirror. I wonder if anyone has a similar angled base antenna, with an oval hole, that they could share a template? - The trick is going to be getting the hole in the right location so the antenna is vertical when extended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Mr Bridger
Are you in the UK and is your car RHD? There is a hole between the left guard and the insides under the hood but only on the left side of the car If you drill on the RHD drivers guard you will have to add a hole to get the cable to the radio.

But if your car is LHD then the antenna can go near the driver without issue.
Nicholas
MrBridger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Sputnick60 - thanks for the reply. Funnily enough it is a RHD and from S. Australia, with a nice rust free body. Anyway I digress...the hole you mention is in the inner wing? - I'm trying to drill a fresh hole on top of the wing/fender and wondering if it should be driver's or passenger side. Also, as it's an angled base aerial/antenna it'll need an oval hole. It may have some vertical adjustment but I need to get it in more the less the right spot to keep it upright.

62Ghia - When I got my car the antenna was in exactly the place yours is now, which is not a period dealer install but most likely a later DIY job, as it doesn't necessitate removal of the splash panel. I'm in the process of filling the hole and moving it elsewhere as my new antenna has an angled base.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62 ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Yeah I was thinking that it was placed there as a matter of covenience...I just haven't seen another ghia with that particular placement. My plan is to fill the hole and when I get a sound system it will most likely be to play music from my iPad so therefore I won't need an antenna. Dancing
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

If you sit in the drivers seat and you look towards the antenna when it is installed in the correct place, you will not see it as it will be hidden by the A pillar.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
From KGPR
This is where it goes
http://www.karmannghia.com/Gallery/kg_antenna_template.pdf

I am not sure this is for all years because it shows the mirror on the door and based on this the antenna will clash with the mirror on early Ghia's which are mounted above the "junction of fender and cowl" (for dimensions see page 38 of this German catalogue http://www.ghia-connection.de/katalog/Preiskatalog-Kombination.pdf).

The mirror on my 62 is mounted a little forward of the position in the catalogue and the antenna is mounted forward of this and lower than shown on the KGPR template so it sits on an angle rather than vertically.

What did you end up doing MrBridger?
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Link to another thread on the same subject - the picture shows the location similar to what I have: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620012&view=previous

Googling "karmann ghia antenna location" shows images of early Ghia's with the antenna close to the mirror on the fender (including the KGPR black and white cabriolet), but it doesn't look great to me.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Replying to myself, but I have thought about this more and might install the antenna in the KGPR location on the left hand side which is on the opposite side to the mirror on my RHD.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Link to another thread on the same subject - the picture shows the location similar to what I have: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620012&view=previous

Googling "karmann ghia antenna location" shows images of early Ghia's with the antenna close to the mirror on the fender (including the KGPR black and white cabriolet), but it doesn't look great to me.

My '58 has the antenna in the original recommended position...it's fine there although mine is always retracted as I like to listen to the whine of the supercharger rather than the radio... Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by John Moxon on Mon May 09, 2016 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
…. I like to listen to the whine of the supercharger rather than the radio... Wink

I wish I could do that too. Laughing
Nicholas
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
…. I like to listen to the whine of the supercharger rather than the radio... Wink

I wish I could do that too. Laughing
Nicholas

I'm sure John would be happy to take you for a ride if you asked him nicely.
MrBridger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

I'm still thinking about it Mellow Yellow 74 - It's dropped way down my list of priorities at the moment.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

I drilled a hole on the passenger side using the KGPR template (which no longer seems to be on their new web site). The template didn't fit the shape of the fender near the door very well but I lined it up with the crease in the fender.

I trial fitted the new antenna (Hirschman brand) and it doesn't fit that well - at the maximum angle the mount allows the antenna leans outwards which doesn't look great. I think the template made the hole too low and it needs to be higher up on the fender where it is flatter.

Edit - I did some googling and it looks like there are two types of antennas (antennae?): fender mount and "top cowl" mount. I think I must have a top cowl mount but need a fender mount so the hole is probably OK if I use the correct antenna.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
antennas (antennae?)

slightly off topic, but the plural of antenna depends on the subject.
In the study of terrestrial animals in other arthropod groups or other phyla, such as arachnids, myriapods, earthworms, land snails, and slugs, the subject being Entomology, the plural is antennae.
In the pursuit of Radio Physics, Telecommunications, Broadcast, Radio Determination etc, the plural is antennas.
I have that from friend who is an etymologist and with whom I wouldn't argue such clarifications since doing so would be a particularly dull way to spend one's time Laughing .
Nicholas
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Maybe we should just call them aerials Laughing

More googling today - I have found two candidates for fender mount aerials - one by JBugs which is on an angle and looks like it has some adjustment; and one by PODDIG which is on an angle but seems to be non adjustable.

The PODDIG one looks good but the box refers to it being suitable for both Beetle and Karmann Ghia, which I am not convinced about if it is not adjustable (would the crown of the fender at the aerial mount really be the same on both cars?).

Does anyone have experience with either of these on a fender mount using the KGPR template for the hole?
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Antenna Placement? Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Maybe we should just call them aerials Laughing

More googling today - I have found two candidates for fender mount aerials - one by JBugs which is on an angle and looks like it has some adjustment; and one by PODDIG which is on an angle but seems to be non adjustable.

The PODDIG one looks good but the box refers to it being suitable for both Beetle and Karmann Ghia, which I am not convinced about if it is not adjustable (would the crown of the fender at the aerial mount really be the same on both cars?).

Does anyone have experience with either of these on a fender mount using the KGPR template for the hole?

I just put a new antenna on my car and, surprisingly, found one that fit nicely at Auto Zone. You may want to take a look there if you have one nearby.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: