Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

Okay, so I am done re installing my interior after adding reckhorn deadening and refectix. It added to the overall thickness of the floor ect so it changed some of the dynamics of the westfalia interior, I had to drill a few holes and the Z bed fit is not as exact as it was without anything on the floor. So keep that in mind when you install it. It may be better to only install it in the ares where no interior pieces would touch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:

Sweet flooring. Did you use a subfloor for this?
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

Today I installed Foil Backed Butyl to my cargo area, wheel wells and rear cargo area. I was on a budget but wanted to get my flooring in so I can start working on my cabinetry, and wanted to do sound deadening before I put the flooring in.. So I bought generic brand "Noico" from amazon. $60 for 50 sq/ft plus 48 hr shipping and I couldn't go wrong. 1 pack of 50 sq/ft covered the whole area I just mentioned perfectly. I will buy more to do the front, and every door and panel in the near future. I drove the bus around after installing and didn't notice a noise reduction, but I didn't drive it on the freeway and I also had nothing else in my bus.. Will report back once the floors and cabinet are in.
I had POR15'ed the area prior.

http://www.amazon.com/Noico-Self-adhesive-Automoti...k129040-20
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

[quote="ThisMetalMess"][quote="khalimadeath"]

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1499578.jpg

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1503221.jpg
Quote:

Sweet flooring. Did you use a subfloor for this?

No, I just laid the boards down on the sound deadening. I used some thin birch in a few areas where there was a slight elevation change in the floor to make it more gradual. The flooring I used was some German made stuff that is pretty sturdy and sold in 6 foot planks.
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

I've put sound deadening on all the walls, doors, cab roof, nose, and front & rear wheel wells, and it's done a lot for sound quality and making it easier to talk, but I still have a lot more wind noise than I'm happy about. All that is left is the floor and engine area.

Has anyone found a big source of wind noise on the highway? I don't want to throw more money and unnecessary weight into the bus. I have new (quality) seals all around as well.
Big Papi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

I found the outside link and advice that Scott from German Supply gave on sound dampening to be enlightening. The butyl product dampens vibration through the metal. Covering 25% of your surface area is apparently enough to accomplish that. I don't believe these products do much for acoustic waves propagating through materials. The heavier MLV absorbs these frequencies. I doubt you can get much noise reduction without both.

As far as the wind sound mentioned above, I imagine this is due to the aerodynamics of the bus. No way around that. Too much exposed glass to block it out.

I'm currently installing a Stinger Roadkill butyl product. Pretty nice stuff. No smell. Easy to install. Going to throw a blanket of the MLV on after. I'm imagining it will be like driving in a new mercedes after that Wink
Big Papi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

Just finished up adding some Stinger Roadkill butyl above the engine compartment and below the back seat. Seemed very nice. no odor. easy to apply.

Installed some insulation wrapped in plastic to the compartment lid.

Added some Mass Load Vinyl (MLV) (no VOCs) from home depot on top of the butyl.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

If I wanted to have a clean and stock look is the any reason why I couldn't put mlv inside the cushions underneath the foam?

What have peoples experience been with the mlv in terms of effectiveness?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

the best way to find wind noise are something these and a buddy. The guy outside uses air from a compressor to blow against the car. One may find just a small tiny screw hole causing 99% of the problem.

Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the best way to find wind noise are something these and a buddy. The guy outside uses air from a compressor to blow against the car. One may find just a small tiny screw hole causing 99% of the problem.

That's a great idea! Thanks SGKent
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: The great insulation/ sound deadening thread... Reply with quote

Big Papi wrote:
Pinetops wrote:
Reckhorn ABX

Reflectix velcro'd on

Home Depot Acoustical barrier (mass loaded vinyl)

How did you affix the MLV on to the other substrate materials? I have read that adhesives are not recommended because they can reactive with the MLV.

It stays in place on its own. The bed/seat and those metal tabs that the bed sits on hold it in place. A heavy duty velcro would probably work where needed though.

Last edited by Pinetops on Mon May 16, 2016 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
So I spent the better part of Saturday doing some sound deadening/insulating in the tank hole. Wasn't going to drop $$$ on Dynamat and have been reading up on using "Peel and Seal" as a cheaper alternative.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/screw-d...al.711889/
It's a Lowe's item, but not Lowe's Canada Crying or Very sad
For us peeps across the boarder, go for this
http://www.rona.ca/en/multipurpose-waterproofing-m...reId=10151
(Resisto Multipurpose Aluminum Waterproofing Membrane)
Here is the results

Peel n Seal works but it contains asphalt and I wouldn't recommend it on the inside of your bus/vehicle. Above the tank is probably fine. There are affordable, butyl based alternatives to dynamat.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

how many sqft would I need to cover the cargo floor, engine compartment (inside of bus side), wheel wells, front floor, doors, and sidewalls?

PS. 1970 transporter no interior currently.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
how many sqft would I need to cover the cargo floor, engine compartment (inside of bus side), wheel wells, front floor, doors, and sidewalls?

PS. 1970 transporter no interior currently.

The best way to know for your specific application.

(sold - but not forgotten)
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

If you want to use the same product I used, a helpful guide with regard to quantity can be found here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=373683&start=0
(sold - but not forgotten)
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

To each his own of course, but I m not sure where the trend to cover every square inch of panel came from. In my experience it doesn't work, and in the end just leaves a mess...I believe to deaden sound on a panel you don't have to coat everything, just a select piece. And the floors? Waste. Nothing some jute and a carpet won't fix.

I wish I didn't do my beetle..there was no noticeable improvement and now it looks worn and terrible...
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

Most of the deadening done by the dynamat type products is accomplished by piece covering just 25% of the panel. Covering the whole panel will give you marginally more sound deadening. Layering it with mass loaded vinyl and a middle barrier layer is how professionals do it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

I installed some Fat Mat, rattle trap 80mil in my fuel tank compartment and the ceiling of the engine bay. My 70 bus w/stock engine and muffler was much louder than I cared for though the original tar boards were missing from the main section of the roof.

Overall, I'd say I was rewarded w/a 20% reduction in engine noise in the cab at both city and highway speeds. The remaining noise level is very tolerable and what I'm accustomed to w/my bugs.

What have folks used in place of the tar boards above the engine, on the ceiling in these early bays? Ideally, I'd like to find something to put up there that would be the same thickness as the tar boards so I can use the clips (and spray adhesive) and make it look stock. I certainly wouldn't mind it being a sound absorber either.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
If you want to use the same product I used, a helpful guide with regard to quantity can be found here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=373683&start=0

thank you, i missed it the first time and the second time that you mentioned the amount of stuff you purchased for the job. This is just what I needed.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
WissBrauSean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully insulated their camper pop top with anything that looks nice?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: