Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One Heater Box to Cab Vs. Two
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which has better heat up front?
Panel or Kombi
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Passenger bus with heater log
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: One Heater Box to Cab Vs. Two Reply with quote

Is there a noticeable difference between the heat in the cab for buses with one heater box routed up front (i.e. passenger buses with a heater log) vs. those with both routed up front? Here is why I ask...I am going to turn my 13 window into a camper, so I will be running a flat floor in the back and a z-bed. I have removed the heater log already as the cargo floor is rusty around it. I did keep it so I could put it back one day if I wanted. I have a heater Y from a panel that would route both heater boxes up front that I am thinking of putting in the bus. Before I do all this work, is it even going to be worth it? I was thinking both heater boxes up front would be better...But in the Bay Window forum most people got a better result with one heater box routed to the rear and one up front, So I am curious...Those of you with both panels and passenger buses...Can you tell a difference at the defroster vents between them?

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you've eliminated the heater log, I got that part. But are you thinking about rigging up some other type of outlet for rear heat? Or are you strictly asking if you should run both boxes with a Y pipe to the front versus just one (with no rear heat).

When we drove my bus (panel converted to camper) down to Bulli in 2012 we left pretty late at night, and it started getting COLD around midnight. I couldn't figure out why the cabin wasn't getting very warm. Turns out one of my heater cables had slipped loose on the heater box, and I was only getting half heat. Once it was hooked back up, it made a HUGE difference in heat flow.

So if your options are to either add the Y and get heat from both boxes, or just run one box, I definitely say that fabbing up the Y would be worth the effort.

If your options are to run both up front, or run one to front and one to rear (someway other than the log), I can't speak for that.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could leave the rest of the ducting and just run an outlet from under the Z-bed for one heater box...Or I could eliminate the rear heat completely and run both heater boxes to the cab. I wanna get the best heat up front, but if there will be negligible difference between having one heater box going up front vs. both, I don't wanna do the extra work of replacing the heater Y...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have both boxes sending heater up front it does have noticable more defrost that just one up front

if you have one to the front and one to the back, it is warmer in the back that bothe to the front. Think less cold air on the back of you neck when driving.

My 15 window has the heater log in place with a bay westy z bed in the back. I cut the bed base to l fit with the log intact, and removed the door, to let heat out. When I drive to the campsite with the bed made up and heat on I have a preheated bed, which is definate bonus.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a significantly colder climate than most bus owners.
Although I no longer drive air cooleds in the winter, spring mornings and autumn evenings are much more comfortable in a bus with some semblance of heat.
I rigged both my heater boxes to blow up front, as that is where the majority of people are, a majority of the time.
I like it.
I notice much greater heat and noticeable higher air flow coming out of the vents.
If you do most of your driving with the front seat populated and the back not so much, I recommend the modification.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
I live in a significantly colder climate than most bus owners.
Although I no longer drive air cooleds in the winter, spring mornings and autumn evenings are much more comfortable in a bus with some semblance of heat.
I rigged both my heater boxes to blow up front, as that is where the majority of people are, a majority of the time.
I like it.
I notice much greater heat and noticeable higher air flow coming out of the vents.
If you do most of your driving with the front seat populated and the back not so much, I recommend the modification.

i would have to agree, especially in light of this becoming a camper, which would greatly benefit from a standalone heater to keep the vehicle warm while parked

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny timing for this post. I was thinking about the exact same thing for the past couple days...
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking strictly about how much comes out in front it is hugely more.
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both boxes to the front puts out WAY more air!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both to the front is how I will be running it then..I would like to have good defrosters more than anything else. Down here in Alabama we have more days in the 40s and 50s with rain than unbearably cold ones in the winter.

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldschool64bus wrote:

This is a pretty cool pic!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
oldschool64bus wrote:

impressive, but it also shows that the sunvisors are not cleverly lowered to direct the defrost heat to your body. Driving in negative 20 weather will teach you EVERY trick to keep yourselv warm in a bus (or beetle)

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
cru62 wrote:
oldschool64bus wrote:

impressive, but it also shows that the sunvisors are not cleverly lowered to direct the defrost heat to your body. Driving in negative 20 weather will teach you EVERY trick to keep yourselv warm in a bus (or beetle)

No visors in my bus, been missing since before I bought her. Being just over 6'1" I haven't really needed them either lol
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: One Heater Box to Cab Vs. Two Reply with quote

I too have cut out my heater log and will have to run both heater boxes to the front. Do you have any pics of what you did? I know it's fairly straight foward but looking for any tips or tricks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: