Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stupid puma owner here in desperate need of advice
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wallythacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Stupid puma owner here in desperate need of advice Reply with quote

Here's the deal.

On July 1 Ontario implements a new vehicle certification process.

After this date kit and limited production cars have a big hill to climb to certify as safe.

Pumas may not certify as the Brasilia chassis has been cut and shortened, right? The new inspection act pretty much says that is a fail.

Here's my specific predicament. I bought a gtc in poor shape framewise. Much rust and pan patches with pop rivets. The interior and fibreglass and glass is all fine. Electrical and motor function are a mystery for now but I can fix that stuff in my sleep.

I can buy a near perfect type 1 chassis (69) with the steering head and all rolling parts for about $500.

Does anyone think I can convert it to a Brasilia chassis with cutting and flame welding?

Until July 1 I can submit such a vehicle for certification.

So, is there anywhere I can see blueprint or documents with dimensions for both the type 1 chassis and the Brasilia? Google was of little help. I feel the factory chassis is beyond a safe repair.

I love a challenge but not an impossibility.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid puma owner here in desperate need of advice Reply with quote

You may find more help with this question in the kit car buggy forum.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid puma owner here in desperate need of advice Reply with quote

I'm 99% sure that Puma's are on standard chassis - not shortened. Simply measure the wheelbase on the car to find out for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
royraison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stupid puma owner here in desperate need of advice Reply with quote

I have a 77 puma
do an internet search for vw puma ,,information is there.

The platform was either Brazil KG or Brazila

front beam is same as US Ghia rear of frame is same or near to a swing axle type three wheelbase is about ten inches shorter than a bug.

pan halfs are not the same as a KG but can be adapted

Good Luck
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid puma owner here in desperate need of advice Reply with quote

Depending on the year of your Puma it was made on either a Karman Ghia pan up until 1974 after that it would be on the Brasilia pan. The head is different on the Brazil based cars then the German cars so you need to get pan replacements for a Brasilia or KG. If the car was imported into Canada it entered the country as a turn key vehicle, so other than repairing the pan you shouldn't have much of a issue. You will find most parts for Type I will be interchangeable but the brake master cylinder is Brazil only also the oil dip stick if it is a later model. Good luck with the refurbish.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stupid puma owner here in desperate need of advice Reply with quote

You may want to check out this link http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37144
You may event be able to get ahold of the poster and get some help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: