Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

OK, so I just received a Subaru 6 speed transaxle TY756 cable shift. This is getting installed in my DOKA with a Subaru engine.

I did a quick measurement on the VW and Subaru transaxles, from end of bellhousing to centerline of axles. It seems that the Subaru dimension is 2 inches less.

So will there be a different CV joint length if using the RMW engine carrier?

Also with the RMW engine carrier, what is the length from the centerline of the engine mounts to the back of the engine bay sheet metal?

From what I know, the RMW engine carrier has no fore-aft adjustment, but it seems so much a better design that the SmallCar design.

Thanks for the help.
Jac25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

I want to do 5spd ty754 in my 85 westy and currently have a KEP cradle. I emailed David Clymer about about it and he stated the kep cradle would have to be moved forward an 1 inch. He theorised that cutting the crossbar from the supports and moving the bar forward would do the trick. Not sure what the rmw cradle looks like or the overall legnth of 6spd vs the 5spd but it's probably going to take some fabricating.

Also, the vw transmission input shaft sits to the right about 10mm i think and the subaru input shaft sits centerline. That means that currently our conversions sit to the right to match the transmission. Now the engine must be moved over to the centerline.

Lots of good info here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=40

Hopefully, David will chime in and clear things up.
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

<<Deleted due to outdated informatnion>>

Last edited by wasserbox on Mon May 09, 2016 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

The RMW carrier bar actually is compatible with the Subaru 5 speed conversion. When I delivered my first series of kits I had only done conversions using the Smallcar mount and had not been able to check fitment with the RMW carrier bar. It's tough to get exact fore and aft engine placement benchmarks since there are so many variables and it looked to me like the RMW bar would put the engine too far back. I had talked with RMW about developing a special version of their bar to be compatible with the ideal Subaru 5 speed mounting position.

At the time I developed the first revisions to the kit, I was finally able to check fitment of the kit with the RMW bar and it turned out the Subaru 5 speed when mounted with my kit works perfectly with the standard RMW bar. Quite a few of my customers are now running conversions with RMW bars.

That's good news for the 5 speed Subaru conversion. But the 6 speed cable shifted box will present some new challenges. The location of the cable levers on that transmission makes it necessary to leave that transmission full length or nearly full length. This will require the transmission to sit further back, which will cause a problem with the placement of the RMW carrier bar. It would be possible to modify the RMW bar to mount the engine further back. It can't be simply slid backwards due to how/where it attaches to the frame, but modifications could be made on the engine mount pads on the bar itself to adjust engine placement.

For this kind of a transmission placement, the drive axles will have to be longer than what I've come up with for the Subaru 5 speed conversion (two short automatic axles), but it is possible the standard manual transmission axles would do the trick.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

FWIW, I am waiting on Todd @Subarugears to let me know how the fit up would be with the RMW engine carrier, and his Vanagon transmission mount.

Todd @Subarugears is modifying the Vanagon transmission mount for a better fit. He didn't get into specifics with me.

Would be nice if the trans mount is slotted to allow for adjustment, and then keyed in somehow.

David, I read your thread about all the work you have performed with the 5 speed, but I don't know how much of that translates to the 6 speed with cable shift.

FWIW, I just received my Subarugears conversion, and will be using the Subaplate, which will remove some 5.5 inches from the nose of the transmission.

Even then, the TY756 split cases are about 26 inches long. The VW transaxle is about 24 inches long.

Sounds like I will have to call RMW, and find out, I wish they had some online documentation or even an email address.

Regarding the shifting cables, there are a lot of possibilities....to be continued.

Shocked
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

keithwwalker wrote:

David, I read your thread about all the work you have performed with the 5 speed, but I don't know how much of that translates to the 6 speed with cable shift.

FWIW, I just received my Subarugears conversion, and will be using the Subaplate, which will remove some 5.5 inches from the nose of the transmission.

Even then, the TY756 split cases are about 26 inches long. The VW transaxle is about 24 inches long.

Hi Keith,

A certain amount of what I have done with the 5 speed applies to the 6 speed because the basic transmission case and end housing are the same length. So from that I have a pretty good idea of where the transmission with the full length end housing and Todd's flat cover plate will have to mount in order to stay behind the transverse member that the transmission mount bolts to. It will have to sit about 1" further rearward from where I've mounted the 5 speed - which does bolt up to the standard RMW bar. A modified RMW bar that allows the engine to mount that much further back would be necessary. This is certainly possible, but it might be good to consider using the Smallcar mount because it allows the engine to be mounted anywhere along the rear frame rails.

Best wishes on your project. Be sure to share with us how it's coming along.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

David

Thanks for your information. Your info sounds spot on.
I took some more measurements with a tape measure (on my back), so if anyone has better data, please chime in.

I think the Subaru engine and TY756 subaru transaxle will be a very tight fit, if the RMW engine carrier keeps the same fore-aft datum where the existing VW engine and transaxle meet. A custom transaxle nose mount will be required regardless.

I will check with RMW this coming week on the fore-aft question. It would make sense that they would do design their carrier that way, such that if you put in a Subaru engine and keep the VW transaxle, the transaxle would stay in the same fore-aft location, and you wouldn't have to change out the axles.

So the dimensions I am coming up with:

VW transaxle: ~23.5 inches (does someone have an out of vehicle dimension in inch or mm?)
    Gap from nose of VW transaxle to back side of crossmember: ~3 inches
    Subaru Transaxle: 26 inches (with center differential case removed)
    Subarugears Subaplate (for 2WD conversion): 12mm
    Subarugears Shift plug (fits on end of Subaplate): 30mm

Photos:
Good underview of the VW transaxle nose mount (transaxle toward bottom of photo)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's my measurement of the distance from the nose of the VW transaxle to the front of the mount that connects to the chassis, it is 3 inches, +/-1/8". The steel plate of the mount wraps up around the chassis rail on the front and back and takes up some space. (nose of transaxle to the right of photo)

Here is the Subaplate, it goes on the end of the rear transmission case (you remove the center differential case), the shift rod plug is upper left

If you add up the dimensions, you will see that the shift plug will be interfering with the crossmember. With this particular gearbox, the plug doesn't have to be 30mm thick, it could probably be shaved down by half, since the shift rod protrudes from the gearbox (with the center diff housing removed) by about 25mm. (subaplate 12mm plus. There would still be an interference with the crossmember though)

My transmission came with a mount that is at the nose of the transaxle and under. This is different than the VW mound which is on the nose. I will probably be able to keep both the VW rubber mount, and the Subaru nose mount and have a custom transition piece between them.

To be continued....
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

It's nice to see more posts concerning the fitment of Subaru transaxles.

Concerning the engine cradles; They all mount to the flat boxed-in section of unibody so it is relatively easy to slide them fore and aft and drill new holes as needed.

Concerning the axles, when I mounted my Subaru 4eat transaxle (fwd) I used cv adaptor plates and Burley's axle kit (930), I simply cut the axles down a bit (7/16"?) and made a new groove on the end for the retaining ring.

It could not have been simpler.

Looking forward to more progress.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

For the Axles I just got the stub axles from Subarugears, and CV flanges for the 930 size.

Taking apart my transaxle now, it won't shift into 5th, 6th, or reverse -very pissed off right now that someone would sell this and say it shifts fine.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

keithwwalker wrote:
For the Axles I just got the stub axles from Subarugears, and CV flanges for the 930 size.

Taking apart my transaxle now, it won't shift into 5th, 6th, or reverse -very pissed off right now that someone would sell this and say it shifts fine.

Yeah, that's no good. I hope you can get that straightened out quickly and easily.

I didn't have a chance to digest all your measurements today, but I think your first step will be to mount up the transmission as close as it can go to the transverse member. That will dictate the engine positioning. Then you can modify the RMW bar accordingly.

The shifter shaft plug on the end of the cover is pretty thick. I wonder if you could shorten the shift selector rod so it doesn't stick out so much and then go with a more slender shaft plug.

In terms of a transmission mount, you could pick up those two M8 threaded bosses on either side of the end housing with two brackets and then connect to the Vanagon rubber mount. That way you wouldn't have to have any of the mount in front of the transmission and it could be pushed as far forward against the transverse beam as possible.

Just kind of thinking aloud tonight. Sorry for the randomness of all this. Smile

Dave
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

David,

To make it a bit clearer, here is the dimensional comparison, with the datum being the join between the VW engine and transaxle (1.9, I assume the 2.1 is the same):

VW Transaxle + gap from transaxle to crossmember = 23.5 +3 inches = 26.5 inches

Subaru transaxle + Subarugears Subaplate + Subarugears shift plug = 26.0 inches + 12mm + 30mm = 27.65 inches (or about 26.5 inches without the plug)

The shift shaft in this cable shifted gearbox is angled exactly like the older 5 speeds that use a linkage. It is bushed on both sides. It ends at the rear case, even sticks out a 1-3mm. Still probably 10mm could be cut from the shaft, and then only about 15mm would protrude. Then the shift cover could be very thin if the shaft is cut down.

Another concern if the Subaru transaxle is to be mounted as far forward as possible is that the sheetmetal above the crossmember starts to slope backward.

The nose of the Subaru TY756 is about 9-10 inches in height.

More measurements & photos this week.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

keithwwalker wrote:

I've gotten a few transmissions from salvage yards that were pulled from wrecked cars that turned out to be junk but looked ok at first glance.

One 4motion Passat automatic that had a cracked housing and would seep ATF only when running, I lost about 8 hours of labor on this one and about $100 worth of the Audi/VW spec ATF.

One 4motion manual Passat (01A transmission) that had no visible damage but must have been towed improperly because the Torsen Diff was bad and I only found out when the transmission was installed and the car wouldn't move, lost all the labor once again.

Another was a 01A five Quattro 5speed I bought for one of my CCW rotating 1.8t projects. This one must have got the shift shaft forced in too hard as a result of the collision that brought the car to the salvage yard, again it showed no external damage but had broken shift forks. Guess what, I lost again on that one.

The salvage yards just assume or hope that the transmissions are good when the car gets hit as long as it still looks ok. Most of the time they are, but many times they aren't.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

I will find out tonight if the transmission can be rebuilt or not. When I unpacked it, I found the clutch friction discs were gone and only the fiberglass backers were left - paper thin wafers - ridiculous.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW Engine Carrier with Subaru transaxle questions Reply with quote

Incremental update: I believe the cable shifter was way out of alignment (and broken), so I could not get the full range of motion on the left right motion when the shifter was hooked up to the transaxle.

I also called RMW, they stated they had no plans to modify their enginer carrier design, they don't know if it will work with a Subaru transaxle, though they do have a Subaru engine/transaxle install coming up in their shop. I asked that they call me with an update as to whether it would fit. I don't know if or when that will happen.

My plan is to continue my transaxle work conversion, and start a build thread to document my foibles and frustrations. I plan on buying a RMW cradle, and will modify if I have to - it is the simplest support system out there.

Regarding the transaxle mount, I haven't seen photos of David's design, but I think that with a 6 speed cable shift, I will have to come up with a custom underslung mount.

My transaxle came with an undernose mount that will provide a template for the bolting pattern.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: