Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

There comes a time in every busses life....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

...when it needs to be repainted.

Now is that time.

A little back story.

My wife and I are moving back to Japan and lugging the bus along with us. Its a Riviera with good interior paint in light grey ( i thin thats what the color tag says...can't remember. Its that green grey not mouse grey.) Now is my chance to get my body work and paint done. I'm thinking 2 tone with light grey as the lower color and a white as the upper. Now the problem...which white. I'm thinking late model pastel white...any ideas? I'm already breaking all kinds of stock rules with non-german bits, repro stuff, EFI 2110 motor, 68 sink with freon fridge, and a 3/4 riviera top from a late model (don't worry it already has a hole from the early mini poptop). The reason for the big renovation is this car is a california/nevada/texas car and its never seen a wet life....its moving to borderline tropical summers and snowy winters. It needs to be sealed.

What do you think? Pics must be inluded for valid recommendations....
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

Don't have pictures but blue white or cumulus white each have a tint going towards your interior color you describe. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

Light grey and white may not be much of a contrast for a two-tone. Maybe you can find a bus with a similar paint scheme in the gallery or photoshop one to see how it will look. Do you have some pics of your bus?
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

I think I found one:

http://www.busandcamper.com/galleries/peppercorn/bus-15-window.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

if it is light grey from 59-67 it is actually really close to l87 pearl white with a hint of grey, it is less grey than seagull grey used on mango busses. to get a real two tone look you will have to go with a much brighter white. that pic above has a lot more grey hue to it than vw lt. grey used on busses.
lt. grey in this pic. In my opinion to get the white bright enough like the bumpers and emblem on this double cab(silver white) it may look kind of odd for a complete upper half color combo.

Last edited by EmpiGT on Sat May 14, 2016 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

since you are going to japan i think neon orange would be perfect Smile or a hello kitty wrap?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the input...minus the Sanrio special.....

I've been lookng at that single and I really wish they had done it in full light rather than in the shade...and not monkeyed with the contrast.
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

these are the two examples im looking at...

They come up when you search google for L345
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

Heres my car

heres the dash

iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

personally, I love the light grey color, i'd keep it stock .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
personally, I love the light grey color, i'd keep it stock .

It is a nice color.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

I like the light grey, too. Maybe lotus white up top if you really want two tone?
adriano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

In my opinion Light grey is a nice color, quite rare and vintage.
This is my bus :

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I like the light grey, too. Maybe lotus white up top if you really want two tone?

or just paint the roof?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

White/grey

Gorgeous.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

Any good paint shop can match the interior for the lower half and go with a pearl white on top (you want a nice reflective white to keep the bus cool in the summer), after all it's not stock so don't sweat it. I think the max speed limit there is 45 so the bus will be right at home.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Any good paint shop can match the interior for the lower half and go with a pearl white on top (you want a nice reflective white to keep the bus cool in the summer), after all it's not stock so don't sweat it.

Pearl White over Light Grey would look weird, very little contrast between those two.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Starbucket wrote:
Any good paint shop can match the interior for the lower half and go with a pearl white on top (you want a nice reflective white to keep the bus cool in the summer), after all it's not stock so don't sweat it.

Pearl White over Light Grey would look weird, very little contrast between those two.

Well he said it was the green/gray so add a little green merino to add a little green hint when the sun hits it.
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

I'm actually thinking of light grey on top and modified velvet or something similar on the bottom.
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: There comes a time in every busses life.... Reply with quote

What do you think?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: