Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 interior
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naughtrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: 66 interior Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I am about to redo the interior of my Ruby Red 66. The PO had light grey carpet all through. I would like to know what colour the original interior was and what everyone else has been using. I found a local place here in Ontario, NOS Reproductions that is asking $291 CDN for a 10 pc carpet kit. That seems reasonable but I know I can cut my own for a lot less. I have read through a lot of previous threads, so I have an idea of what's involved. I am probably going to order the rubber mats from CIP1. With the Canadian dollar being almost worthless now, I can't use the American suppliers. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

Here,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php
Scroll down for the 66 model year.
Good Luck
Naughtrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

55 Platinum Grid, got it, thanks.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

I cut my own carpet and paid an auto interior shop to edge bind it .... cost $125 US

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Naughtrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

Thanks Grampa, a friend just recommended a local shop. Gonna check them out.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

Naughtrick wrote:
Thanks Grampa, a friend just recommended a local shop. Gonna check them out.

If you cut up an old sheet and cut your patterns out of cloth ;they will mold better to the corners . Paper or cardboard patterns don't fit the curves as well .
Note ; the $125 INCLUDED the carpet purchase AND the edgebinding .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is mine, carpet was German square weave, bound in red twill by a local seamstress, total cost under 80.00 or US $115.00. I used the old carpet as a pattern, fitted perfectly
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Naughtrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

Looks nice. I don't have the original carpet, but I am going to use the carpet the PO installed as a template. I am going to buy 5 yards from a local shop, cut it myself and then bring it back to them to do the edges. Should cost me less than $200CDN.
Naughtrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

I now realize the carpet the PO used is a mess, and I can't use it as a template. I think I will bite the bullet and buy a carpet kit. I now have to decide which supplier to use. I can't afford the exchange rate to buy from the U.S. The only 2 suppliers in Canada appear to be CIP1 or NOS Reproductions.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

I encourage you to search square weave carpet sets- boy I hope they are available somewhere in Canada. The difference is huge.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Naughtrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

The only square weave I can find is from the U.S. and is very costly. Anyone have any opinions on the carpet sets sold by CIP or NOS Reproductions?
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

Naughtrick wrote:
The only square weave I can find is from the U.S. and is very costly. Anyone have any opinions on the carpet sets sold by CIP or NOS Reproductions?

It's costly for us Americans too. I couldn't warrant the additional $$ for it. I got a TMI set. Maybe CIP1 has access to them? I was/am happy with the quality of the premium loop kit from them.
samstheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

The extra cost of square weave is its a wool carpet and the square weave has a look all its own.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

samstheman wrote:
The extra cost of square weave is its a wool carpet and the square weave has a look all its own.

It should for $1300 just for the carpet not including the rubber mats. i think for a daily, or weekend cruiser it's a bit out of reach for most.
samstheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

I do all my own work My carpet was 80.00 per yard its 65 in wide. Make templates out of any material in your car mark the direction u want each piece to go and transfer to carpet making sure carpet direction is correct or way u want. 6 yards should get all done. A little less if u don't want floor matts. Then take down to local upholster and pay him to bind carpet there is a lot of different ways and materials to use to do this. Here s mine i did sewing binding also.

You should be able to do yourself for half of there price.
samstheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

U can use any carpet u want cheaper or more expensive the whole thing with this site is to get information so you can do some stuff on your own if you want this is one of those things most people are capable of doing except the sewing because of the machine. You can go to outside upholstery guy and get all carpet bound edged. Regular domestic loop carpet is way cheeper and will do same job. U can get from any auto upholstery wholesale in your area.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 interior Reply with quote

Looks nice. I did something very similiar back in 89 for the interior of my Isuzu Pickup. Think I used the exact same carpet. Lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: