Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip to Europe
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to Europe.. Pas de Calais Reply with quote

I crossed off a bucket list item last fall sleeping in the same field my grandfather did in 1917 in the Somme. I lay in the grass for one night, praying it wouldn't rain, woke up at sun up by a French farmer who brought me a hot coffee. He told me he hadn't seen this in 8-9 years but knew exactly why i was there.

Visit the monument to the 70,000 still missing at Thiepval. Bring tissues.

That's all I have to say about that.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to Europe Reply with quote

Awesome - now I'm getting lifestyle advice!! Shocked Shocked Very Happy Too late fellas; at this age, I yam what I yam.

To the English guys, do they not take credit cards at the gas station in Europe? I haven't paid cash for gas in years.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to Europe Reply with quote

Same as most countries. Money is money and they will take cash or cards.

Just remember if you pay by card remember the exchange rates shift daily, sometimes after payment but before amount is debited from account if abroad.

Last edited by CHARLIE-DONT-SURF on Wed May 18, 2016 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to Europe Reply with quote

Congrats on your Son's Wedding, great place to have it !!
If you drive thru the town of Blankenheim, keep an eye out for a Shop/Gas station on your left ( heading West) that has a few of these :

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Our Son lived in Belgium for a year, we did Bad Camberg & the Euro Bug-in in '07 & 2011, now we are waiting for he & his lady to get hitched Pray Wink

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to Europe.. Pas de Calais Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I crossed off a bucket list item last fall sleeping in the same field my grandfather did in 1917 in the Somme. I lay in the grass for one night, praying it wouldn't rain, woke up at sun up by a French farmer who brought me a hot coffee. He told me he hadn't seen this in 8-9 years but knew exactly why i was there.

Visit the monument to the 70,000 still missing at Thiepval. Bring tissues.

That's all I have to say about that.

I hear you. My grandfather at age 19 volunteered for the Royal Flying Corps before Canada had its own Air Force and spent the war dropping grenades on enemy positions while being shot at from pretty close range!

His pilot's log book, with the crossed off names of so many of his fellow pilots, is heavy reading.

The primary goal of this journey, however, is to be present at the union of my older son and his delightful fiancee. The secondary goal is to meet my father-in-law's brothers, only one of whom I have previously met. I had the good fortune to be able to work with and learn from my wife's late father and I'm really looking forward to meeting his twin brother in the ancestral Thaysen home on Sylt.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to Europe Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Congrats on your Son's Wedding, great place to have it !!
If you drive thru the town of Blankenheim, keep an eye out for a Shop/Gas station on your left ( heading West) that has a few of these :

Our Son lived in Belgium for a year, we did Bad Camberg & the Euro Bug-in in '07 & 2011, now we are waiting for he & his lady to get hitched Pray Wink

Good luck with that! We had pretty much given up hope that either of the boys would go the traditional route - BUT!

Blankenheim is kind of in the middle of our circle tour that takes us by train from Paris to Nunspeet in Holland to pick up the Westy, then to Sylt in the North Sea where Uncle Lutje lives to Ditmarschen where Uncle Meinert lives to Seevetal near Hamburg where Uncle Andreas lives to Mohrendorf where Maiken's bass was made to St Leger-du Ventoux where Milo will be married - then to Nunspeet to return the van and then back to Paris to fly home.

I will be doing some driving...

Anyway, the plane leaves around nine o'clock tonight! Shocked
www.thebassspa.com

Last edited by Jake de Villiers on Wed May 18, 2016 4:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to Europe Reply with quote

Also keep in mi d many stores and even filling stations do close mid-day for a period of time.

There are a few other quirks lime some German towns closing up shop on Sunday's...correct me if I'm wrong.

I hit Munchen on Father's Day and the entire city was shut down (who knew?!) finally found a single bakery open before I starved that day... ( was bicycling )

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silverbulletuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to Europe Reply with quote

^^^ Oh yes! Half-day Wednesday in rural areas and you won't be able to buy a thing on a Sunday other than in the aforementioned gas stations.

It's a delightful change from the "open all hours" culture, you just have to think more than 8 hours ahead.

(I only mentioned the Belgium pay-in-advance fuel stops because they are a bit of a local oddity, but the fuel is so much less expensive than in other parts)

Have a great trip!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: