Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

So I have some interesting wires, mostly everything works fine and no to much PO molestation. The windshield wipers dont do anything when I turn the knob however the grounds look ok and the connections look solid, maybe a fuse? Anyway I took some pictures and Ill do my best to explain them. Please point out any problems I dont mention.

What we are looking at

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fuses, there is a missing one, there is an aftermarket black wire that has been ripped off a spade connection coming of the no fuse connection.

These pics arent that great but this blue wire runs by the wiper area but doesnt go to anything, it points to the fuse its connected to.

Same questions about wires that are not connected but look like the should

The last one is my turn signal switch. I have a new one since the old one was hacked for some reason. The new wires have 2 black and white wires I can only assume they are both ground and can go to either ground? It appears there are 2 red and back wires that run off the old harness. Same concept?

I have looked at some wiring diagrams, they arent like any I have seen before, in that past I have prided myself at being pretty decent at wiring. This is a bit intimidating since it seems vw just threw the wires in there and hoped for the best.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

Seems like your best option is to list the colors of the wires coming from a paticular component so we can tell you where they go. for example where does that shiny black encased harness originate? (I'm guesing ignition switch?). Deal with one issue at a time to keep it simple.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Seems like your best option is to list the colors of the wires coming from a paticular component so we can tell you where they go. for example where does that shiny black encased harness originate? (I'm guesing ignition switch?). Deal with one issue at a time to keep it simple.

Yea thats the turn signal switch, I think I pretty much have that one handled, my only question is that there are 2 black and white wires, both of which I can assume are grounds. I am more worried about why my wipers aren't working. I think it may have something to do with a missing fuse and wires from there.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

Why would you assume your black/white wires are grounds? VW NEVER used black or white or black&white wires for a ground connection.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

Exactly what year and model of bus are we discussing here?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

With a 411 937 505 A fuse box. Guessing you are working on a 1970 bus.
Wiring diagrams
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php
1970 Wiring diagram. Click on pic to enlarge.

Fuses, there is a missing one, there is an aftermarket black wire that has been ripped off a spade connection coming of the no fuse connection.
#7 missing fuse with the burnt black wire is the accessory fuse. Who knows what the PO had it hooked up to.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/70busfuses.jpg

These pics arent that great but this blue wire runs by the wiper area but doesnt go to anything, it points to the fuse its connected to.
The only solid blue wire I see, unless added by po. Goes to K2 (gen light) on the fuel gauge cluster. Does your gen light work?

Same questions about wires that are not connected but look like the should
As painful as it is. You are going to need to follow the wires and see what they are connected to.

The last one is my turn signal switch.
Installing aftermarket turn signal switch

Good luck
Tcash
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Exactly what year and model of bus are we discussing here?

1970 (westfalia)
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

Tcash- Good to know of that I suppose ill use that for a stereo since I do not have one.

what is the Gen light?

I bought the switch complete and just have the wires coming out, the end of the harness.. I also still have the OG harness still plugged in. I was hoping to just match wires and replace them accordingly. I hope its that simple.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

Well I got my wipers figured out for the most part, according to rat well

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Fuses.html#70

I need a 16A fuse in the place where there is no fuse.

Upon further examination I am starting to make sense of the diagrams. Ill repost back after some fiddling with wires. Im pretty sure I have the turn signal and wiper hammered out.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

Ok so stereo is all wried up and working.

I fixed a lot of ground that were not connected. Ive sorted through the wires and ensured that they are running to the proper placed from the proper fuses.

The problems I am still having are:

-Wiper motor does not work still. Although I am thinking this is part of the reason why...

These wires seem to be just shoved in there. Also when the key is on the motor gets warm to the touch. I am thing the motor may be bad or the grounds are bad.

-The Dash lights stopped working. I tried to replace them with LED's they didnt work, my other bulbs blew. Ill see if new bulbs fix it. The test light reads power to them when headlights are switched on.

-The turn signal switch is wired up properly and the blinkers work when they want to. The relay sounds like its having a seizure. The brights click on and off fine. Hazards work most of the time. Thoughts?

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

It is good to see you are not in a hurry. Chasing down PO wiring hacks is a pains but as you eliminate circuits and get them right the job is like a jogsaw puzzle - the fewer the pieces left, the quicker it goes.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
It is good to see you are not in a hurry. Chasing down PO wiring hacks is a pains but as you eliminate circuits and get them right the job is like a jogsaw puzzle - the fewer the pieces left, the quicker it goes.

indeed, the wiring wasnt in too bad of shape. Some of what i thought were "hacks" were for the stereo that was once in there, so I didnt have to re run a constant 12v with an in line fuse since there was aready one in there. However I like to properly solder all my connections if possible.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
-Wiper motor does not work still.

Ever considered the linkage may be siezed?

Those wires look like the park circuit, you may be looking for a replacement if you can't find where they should go.

Слава Україні!
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:
-Wiper motor does not work still.

Ever considered the linkage may be siezed?

Those wires look like the park circuit, you may be looking for a replacement if you can't find where they should go.

I suppose I could check the linkage, it looks like there is still grease in there. No rust or anything..

What is the Park circuit? I searched for pictures of this motor wired up correctly but I couldent find any good ones. I find it hard to believe these ground wires are supposed to be shoved in there like that.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

Wiper problem solved!! ....... Its broken Sad

Anyone have a working one for sale or know where I can get a new or refurbished one for a decent price? I was thinking of the Bus Depot one.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

What Bus Depot one?
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
What Bus Depot one?

This one

http://www.busdepot.com/j11784

or this one

http://www.busdepot.com/211955113h

Jbugs ships fast to me so most likely this one

http://www.jbugs.com/product/211955113H.html?Category_Code=vw-bus-windshield-wipers-1968-1972
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Top of dash and windshield out. Wiring Q&A Reply with quote

I ended up purchasing a NOS wiper motor in the classifieds. Ill post pics of that installed and hopefully solve my wiper motor issue once and for all.

Im glad it was broken, it encouraged me to rummage through the wires and in turn, I found some things out of place and learned some more about my VW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: