Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dune buggy windshield mounting
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

hey does anyone know how to mount a FG buggy windshield that has a cross section like this?

It doesn't have holes drilled in it. Pretty sure it is not a new style.

Some sort of captive mounting perhaps, but I can't find anything like it online

Maybe it's NOS and it is meant to have holes drilled in it to mount it

Stumped.

Ok thanks everyone.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jakerot on Sat May 21, 2016 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Augie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

I would find a piece of aluminum to fit in the groove and then drill through that. You would only need two pieces 6 inches or so. Might have to have it machined to fit snugly.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

Its NOS... Some of the new ones do have groove that will take captive head bolt sort of thing....

You can do as Augie says and put in some sort of filler.... A lot of people just drill through and the run a bolt through...

And small channel goes forward so if you put a fabric top on buggy the front edge goes into groove and wraps 180° over top of frame to lock fabric into place...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

That's the older style frame. They were mounted by drilling two holes through each lower legs and using bolts. The mounting is much stronger if you have a steel frame behind the dash which is also bolted to the body. In the Manx kit they actually supplied a pair of wood blocks that went in the slots and stuck out just a bit so that when the mount bolts were tightened the wood block pressed against the side of the fiberglass hood instead of the edges of the aluminum extrusion

Meyers Manx Inc. sells new dash frames which also supports the steering column much better than just the fiberglass dash (picture on their website is upside down) http://www.meyersmanx.com/mmstore/store-classicdashframe.shtml

jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies fellas

Well, upon closer review, it appears to have been mounted. the PO did some sort of hack job to mount it.

I'm going to put a hoop and tabs under the dash for windshield mounting, steering mounting, etc.

Looks like I'm gonna drill it. Damm. Was hoping to use some sort of captive mounting. Oh well.

Question: when I tighten the windshield mounting bolts, how much flex is acceptable when trying to close the gap between the fiberglass and frame? Will it flex some or do I have to close the gap with some sort of filler?

Ok thanks again 😀
Bermoco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

Hello Jakerot,
Read your entire post on your build. Your skills are impressive.
I had a similar problem with the windshield that came with my basket case buggy.

The windshield that came with my buggy was 42.5" wide and was drilled for through bolt mounting. It was too wide to fit my buggy correctly and the previous owner also had mounted it backwards with the groove in the frame facing the rear. I wanted to use the blind bolt mounting so I bit the bullet and bought a new 42.25" windshield that fit correctly.
It was a much better fit. I actually took the new windshield apart and removed the glass for trial fitting to make the measurements for proper angle and final mounting. Much easier to handle. Used 2x4 to help support frame. Traced the outline of the posts on the blue tape on hood, removed windshield, and drilled for the blind bolt mounting.

If you are intent on making your windshield work you can see what vwbowtieman suggested to me on the following post:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...ht=bermoco
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words Bermoco. I'm just emulating what I see here on this site.

Thanks for the info too. Ive seen that picture before, the one with the wedge filler. I probably have half of that gap to fill. I'll check again in a bit. Hoping it will flex a little.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

I do not know if the dash on your Lobo is like the dash on the Lithia Mark II, but wvbowtieman's NOS body had such of a taper, he made a filler block to close the gap. Made out of 2 inch thick chunk of black PVC. Very strong and still on it today.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting, part 2 Reply with quote

With the demise.of the Bugpack 6049 mounting rubber, what are people using to mount a windshield glass to a front cage hoop?

(With way more projects than spare time!)
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

For my Tow'd, I will weld in a flange to "glue" on a windshield like on GM cars. About 3/4 inch wide to accept either the mastic or the Urethane sealer/glue.

Hope to give it a smooth transition between glass and roll bar.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

That SEEMS to be the only alternative at the moment but I was holding out hope for a more elegant solution, something similar to the Bugpack mounting rubber.
Surely they aren't the only source.....

(With way more projects than spare time!)
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
That SEEMS to be the only alternative at the moment but I was holding out hope for a more elegant solution, something similar to the Bugpack mounting rubber.
Surely they aren't the only source.....

I think the flange mounted windshield can be as elegant as the rubber extrusion, even more so. Dave Barrett mounts all his in the rollcage windshields on a flange with adhesive. How good it looks depends a lot on the care and craftsmanship.

I'm headed to his place next week to have a cage made for my Tow'd. It'll have the flanged windshield mount

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dune buggy windshield mounting Reply with quote

Another option in lieu of bonding the glass to windshield frame opening is to install the welded flange along the roll cage tube perimeter, and use a Universal Windshield Rubber Weatherstrip material from Steele Rubber Products -

http://www.steelerubber.com/windshield-weatherstrip-70-1190-52

bryan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: