Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Feedback Reply with quote

It is good practice to check Seller feedback before making purchases.

Buyer and Seller Feedback

Sincerely
Tcash
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

Hi Sambaverse,

Okay so just in case I don't end up buying the GermanSupply fuel line kit, I've looked around for parts to create my own fuel line replacement kit. I've used this diagram (http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses/FI_Kit_Inst_7879.jpg) as a source of what I need, as well as Ratwell's page about fuel hoses (http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html).

Bus Depot seems to carry most of the parts, except for the 10mm ID hose piece, which I found at a Mercedes parts shop. Here's my shopping list:

The total cost would add up to about 75$, which is considerably cheaper than the kit. Mhh.. Am I missing something? Rolling Eyes Well I am (see below) but that doesn't feel like a 45$ difference.. Anyway, to whomever has done this before, does this seem like a complete set to you?

A few questions came up while browsing parts, maybe you could help me with that:

* The Ratwell page points out that the fuel hoses need to be a more fuel-resistant kind than the breather hoses. Makes sense. Bus Depot (and most other places that I found) only sell one kind. Am I right when I think that is the fuel resistant kind? Does anybody have experience with the fuel hose sold by Bus Depot (yeah, I know I could call them, but maybe somebody here knows the answer right away and then I wouldn't have to? Smile )?
    * In the diagram linked at the top, there are "injector mount bushings". I can't find those anywhere. Could I just reuse the old ones? Or if not, where would I find those?
    * In the same diagram, there are 4 clamps that go right before the injector bushings. They seem to be different than the other FI hose clamps. In our bus, they look a lot like all the others. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just use the "normal" FI hose clamps for these for pieces as well?

Thanks a bunch for reading through all that above, and thank you even more for helping in advance! Smile

Sven & Emma (and Big Emma, who will be very happy to get new fuel lines)
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWVagabonds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

It is easy to get overwhelmed with making the bus perfect before a big trip. I know I did! Somewhere in the Idiot's Guide they talk about a trip that started with a barely running mess-of-a-machine and ended with a perfectly purring vehicle. Wabi-sabi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Keep in mind that breaking down is a big part of the adventure. Try to find the fun in getting the vehicle moving again using whatever you've got handy (duct tape, bailing wire, social skills).

Have a great trip!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

Fuel, Vapor recovery, Vacuum, Hose kits

GoBigEmma wrote:
Hi Sambaverse,

Okay so just in case I don't end up buying the GermanSupply fuel line kit, I've looked around for parts to create my own fuel line replacement kit. I've used this diagram (http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses/FI_Kit_Inst_7879.jpg) as a source of what I need, as well as Ratwell's page about fuel hoses (http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html).

Bus Depot seems to carry most of the parts, except for the 10mm ID hose piece, which I found at a Mercedes parts shop. Here's my shopping list:

The total cost would add up to about 75$, which is considerably cheaper than the kit. Mhh.. Am I missing something? Rolling Eyes Well I am (see below) but that doesn't feel like a 45$ difference.. Anyway, to whomever has done this before, does this seem like a complete set to you?

A few questions came up while browsing parts, maybe you could help me with that:

* The Ratwell page points out that the fuel hoses need to be a more fuel-resistant kind than the breather hoses. Makes sense. Bus Depot (and most other places that I found) only sell one kind. Am I right when I think that is the fuel resistant kind? Does anybody have experience with the fuel hose sold by Bus Depot (yeah, I know I could call them, but maybe somebody here knows the answer right away and then I wouldn't have to? Smile )?
    The hose you listed is good for both both.
    http://www.busdepot.com/21012 (Fuel line clamps) 6.90$, pack of 10, need 3 -> 21$
    and this one
    Fuel hose Gates Barricade Fuel line

* In the diagram linked at the top, there are "injector mount bushings". I can't find those anywhere. Could I just reuse the old ones? Or if not, where would I find those?
    Here you go
    http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-198-261-KIT

* In the same diagram, there are 4 clamps that go right before the injector bushings. They seem to be different than the other FI hose clamps. In our bus, they look a lot like all the others. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just use the "normal" FI hose clamps for these for pieces as well?

Yes use the normal clamps. The original injectors had the hose crimped on the injector. So to replace the hose you had to remove the crimped on fitting and replace it with a hose clamp.
Note the circular ring on the hose next to the injector is a crimp hose ferrule not a clamp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks a bunch for reading through all that above, and thank you even more for helping in advance! Smile

Sven & Emma (and Big Emma, who will be very happy to get new fuel lines)
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
searched up and down and high and low for a great photo of the top a type 4 engine, with all the vacuum hoses pointed out. I can't find it. Seriously, if you haven't put like, a few hundred trouble free miles on the bus, don't do it.

It ain't a photo, but it is a familiarization aid, I guess . . .

secretsubmariner wrote:

don't become another thread about some kids who weren't prepared and wind up broke down for 35 pages in the middle of nowhere. Gosh, I couldn't read Hasta Alaska's thread for more than a few pages. Rolling Eyes

I agree. You can bet that I am going to be a tough and challenging road warrior coach to these starry-eyed kids. By the end of time together, I will sabotage the engine a few different ways to see how they trouble-shoot.
How many total miles did HastaAlaska do?
Colin
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: AFM part numbers Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

It's been a few days, time for some news (and also some new questions).
We've had some trouble with our engine in the last few days, it ran only on 3 cylinders all of a sudden and smoked a lot. We searched up and down for the cause and got really worried somewhere in between, but eventually found that it was just the airflow meter being stuck on open. I've read that that tends to happen when the engine backfires.. Well now we know where to look.

Anyways, as the airflow meter is a crucial part of the FI system, we thought it might be a good idea to have a spare of that with us. I've researched part numbers and found something interesting: The Bosch part number on the top of the AFM is 0 280 200 006. According to the interwebs, this corresponds to VW # 043 906 301, which, according to Ratwell, is a Beetle AFM. Confused Hm.. do we have a Beetle AFM? Would that even fit? Or maybe it's just the cap that the number is printed on, that doesn't originally belong to the AFM it's taped to? Rolling Eyes

In other news, fuel line replacement parts are on order, we're hoping to install the solar setup next week (panels should finally arrive today). Excited to get some more stuff done Smile
Oh and I promised you some more bus pics, will do that in the coming week as well!

Amskeptic wrote:
You can bet that I am going to be a tough and challenging road warrior coach to these starry-eyed kids.

Looking forward to it Colin, I guess we better fail now than later in the Alaskan nowhereness. Smile

Thanks for your time and advice,
Sven
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: AFM part numbers Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:

Anyways, as the airflow meter is a crucial part of the FI system, we thought it might be a good idea to have a spare of that with us. I've researched part numbers and found something interesting: The Bosch part number on the top of the AFM is 0 280 200 006. According to the interwebs, this corresponds to VW # 043 906 301, which, according to Ratwell, is a Beetle AFM. Confused Hm.. do we have a Beetle AFM? Would that even fit? Or maybe it's just the cap that the number is printed on, that doesn't originally belong to the AFM it's taped to? Rolling Eyes

Where is the part number printed? I don't know what the differences in Beetle/Bus AFM numbers/setups are, but I do know a few things: The most important aspect when looking for a replacement is the number of pins on the connector. If it can't plug in, no amount of tuning can help you! Shocked 1975ish-1976ish had a 6-pin AFM, and later years had 7. Your bus came with a 6-pin from the factory, but your air filter housing is for a 7-pin. So you'll need to do some sleuthing to figure out what's going on upstairs. Parts get swapped around all the time, and most of the time it's fine, but ordering replacement parts can be a chore.

If you are a glutton for details like me, you can see the taped off air ducts on the left of the fan and right of the oil filler cap. From the factory, there was a pipe that ran from left to right along the exhaust crossover, and heated the intake air that would then go to the air cleaner through a hose on the right. The stock air filter housing would have had a thermostatically controlled flap inside to determine weather or not the engine should get warmed or cool air. The 7-pin AFM came along when then deleted that setup and instead went to an electronic temperature sensor (TS1) inside the AFM, hence the needing of an additional electrical pin connection. So the early style feeds the engine air according to air temp, and the later system leans or richens the mixture to compensate for what the air temperature actually is.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

Hi
It would help if you added your vehicle to your Signature. That way people answering your questions will know which vehicle you are asking about.

Year, Model, Engine, FI system
1975, Riviera, 79 2L, FI ?

How do I add a signature to my post?

Thank you
Tcash

PS post the numbers off the ECU (electronic control unit) this will help identify which FI system you have.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

If you come through Seattle, please let me know would be thrilled to meet you and see the bus Wink

Amskeptic wrote:

How many total miles did HastaAlaska do?
Colin

Between engines or like on his best attempt before burning to the ground? Or did you mean between each female who joined him?

Don't forget, hasta isn't a bus guy, or even a vw guy. He's a social media attention seeker, which is why he will never see this post unless someone shows him. There is a reason his stuff breaks all the time, if it went smoothly, he wouldnt get near the same attention. Thankfully he helps drive the popularity of busses down the more he posts his examples of them breaking so the rest of us can buy them cheaper Wink

Be specific colin,

Stuart

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Where is the part number printed?

On the cover of the AFM, covering the potentiometer & other electronics. That's why I thought it could just be a cover from a different AFM.. I couldn't find a part number on or inside the housing itself.

Tcash wrote:
PS post the numbers off the ECU (electronic control unit) this will help identify which FI system you have.

Ours has a 6-Pin connector. ECU number is Bosch 0 280 000 122, which seems to correspond to VW 022 906 021H, which is a '75 ECU. Makes sense with the 6-Pin connector. Therefore, I assume, we would need a '75 replacement AFM.
But as asiab3 said, we don't have the pipe for heated air. We also don't have the electronic temperature sensor (no 7th pin).. Confused Is that a problem? Or.. could it be a problem, say, north of the arctic circle? Mh..

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
If you come through Seattle, please let me know would be thrilled to meet you and see the bus Wink

We'd love to meet fellow Samba people and we'll stop in Seattle on our way south from Alaska for sure. So yeah, we should hang out, have a beer or three, and of course show you the bus! Smile

Thanks for your help as always
Sven
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

We'd love to meet fellow Samba people and we'll stop in Seattle on our way south from Alaska for sure. So yeah, we should hang out, have a beer or three, and of course show you the bus! Smile

Thanks for your help as always
Sven

Nice! When you reach Portland, I'll show you where the good beer is Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:

On the cover of the AFM, covering the potentiometer & other electronics. That's why I thought it could just be a cover from a different AFM.. I couldn't find a part number on or inside the housing itself.

Ours has a 6-Pin connector. ECU number is Bosch 0 280 000 122, which seems to correspond to VW 022 906 021H, which is a '75 ECU. Makes sense with the 6-Pin connector. Therefore, I assume, we would need a '75 replacement AFM.
But as asiab3 said, we don't have the pipe for heated air. We also don't have the electronic temperature sensor (no 7th pin).. Confused Is that a problem? Or.. could it be a problem, say, north of the arctic circle? Mh..

Yes, covers can be swapped willy-nilly. I wouldn't trust it, having swapped a few of my own covers.

The pipe for preheated air is more of an emissions control device. On carbureted engines, it would kill your smoothness and economy, but FI intake runners won't ice up when they're only carrying air. I drove without one for a few months and didn't notice, but I was in southern California springtime. Try without it for a bit, and I'll send you my spare for the cost of shipping if you get stumbles further north. It wouldn't be the first time I've mailed emergency spares to the Arctic circle. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

No-one seems to have brought it up yet, but how good/old/capable are BigEmma's tires?

Might not be a bad idea to invest in new, good quality, correctly load-rated tires before heading out on your adventure. One less thing to worry about.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi
It would help if you added your vehicle to your Signature. That way people answering your questions will know which vehicle you are asking about.

Year, Model, Engine, FI system
So you have a 1975, Riviera, 79 2L, FI 75 ecu,

How do I add a signature to my post?

Thank you
Tcash

Who knows what parts they used when they put the 79 2L in?
Make a list of the FI parts with part numbers.

Which exhaust do you have?
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/2exh7279.htm

You need to figure out exactly what you have.
Tcash

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
No-one seems to have brought it up yet, but how good/old/capable are BigEmma's tires?

Might not be a bad idea to invest in new, good quality, correctly load-rated tires before heading out on your adventure. One less thing to worry about.

Go get 5 general grabber at/2 27x8.5x14lt

Will do very well on Alaskan terrain

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

How stiff are the sidewalls on the GT's? And can a 1600 pull them easily?
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
You need to figure out exactly what you have.

It looks like most of our parts for the FI are '75er parts, but I'll make a list.

But here's another thing that makes me scratch my head:
I was going to follow Tcash's advide and put Big Emma in our signature. I was going to write '79 FI, but then I thought maybe I should, just in case, check the engine code (on the crankcase). It starts with "ED", which, according to BusDepot, is a '75 1.8L FI. Back in 2011 when we got this engine (and didn't check things like engine codes.. yeah I know..) we were told it was a '79 engine.
The thing is.. it has hydraulic lifters. I read these weren't introduced until '78 and that kind of doesn't make sense. What am I missing here? Is my information just wrong? Or could we have a '75 crankcase with some Frankenstein '79 interior? I wouldn't assume they interchange.. Mh, any ideas?

asiab3 wrote:
The pipe for preheated air is more of an emissions control device. (...) Try without it for a bit, and I'll send you my spare for the cost of shipping if you get stumbles further north. It wouldn't be the first time I've mailed emergency spares to the Arctic circle. Cool

Haha, thanks asia! Smile We will start without one then, it's not like we had one until now and it doesn't seem to have done much harm..

Tcash wrote:
Which exhaust do you have?

We have the '75 version with the simple cross pipe. But it's kinda rusty and we'll swap it for this BusDepot one (http://www.busdepot.com/352000).

Thanks everybody!
Sven
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

GoBigEmma wrote:

_

Your carbon canister is flipped backwards. The hose from the fan shroud goes into the other side, the little nipple connects to your fuel vent lines and the large hose goes into your air intake box. It's tough to tell if the throttle body vacuum line is attached too. Vacuum leaks are like Swiss cheese in little problems can compound to become bigger problems.

Get familiar with all the pages on the Ratwell site. Especially vacuum hoses and fuel injection components.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html

Seriously south of the border you will have a tough time finding FI parts. Have spares, and know how to troubleshoot them too.

Figure out if all your EGR components are working and either have the ability to block them or even disable the before you go as that could be another tough fix on the road in the lower latitudes.
[/quote]

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

If you got the number off the fan housing it could be off your old engine. Look for the engine numbers on the case top view.

All Type IV's can be converted to Hydraulic lifters.
Lifters Hydraulic or Solid ?

1975 Exh. will not fit 79 heads. So if they put a 79 engine in they used earlier heads. Note gaskets
1975-78 "C" oval
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/2exh7279.htm#251B
1979 "D" square
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/2exh7279.htm#251C

Tcash
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Preps for Alaska and Panamerican Roadtrip Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
If you got the number off the fan housing it could be off your old engine. Look for the engine numbers on the case top view.

Yap, that's where we looked. I actually used your picture when I tried to locate engine code Wink Fan housing does have a different engine code, but it's also an "ED", so '75 as well.

Tcash wrote:
All Type IV's can be converted to Hydraulic lifters.

Ah okay, that makes a lot of sense. I guess then that's what happened. Well, I guess then what we have is a '75 car with a '75 FI engine and hydraulic lifters. FI parts are also '75, except for that asiab said the case for the AFM was a 79 one.

Tcash wrote:
1975 Exh. will not fit 79 heads. So if they put a 79 engine in they used earlier heads.

Our heads are oval/triangular, so the '75 one.

Sven
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: