Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Depot Ezy Awning: std. or plus?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Bus Depot Ezy Awning: std. or plus? Reply with quote

A search came up empty for what I'm looking for.

Can anyone post a pic of the Ezy Awning Plus size on a vanagon? It would be helpful to see the standard size freestanding over a picnic table too. Does it fit? And it would be awesome to see both models with the new front and side walls deployed as well. How cramped is the std. model enclosed?

Given the number of times we have felt the need for an awning, we feel the Ezy Awning is a good match for our needs. I like the idea of driving off with it in freestanding mode with side walls in a campground, or covering the length of a picnic table in a pinch. Just not sure which size is large enough to serve as an aux. shelter and I'd rather not buy too large.

Thanks in advance.
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the standard size. That was the only size available when I bought mine. I now wish I had the bigger one. I'm sure I have some pics of the awning in my gallery.
martym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Great awning Reply with quote

I've got the large one and it is basically the length of the van. It has plenty of room for our folding table and chairs. It stores in a couple of small bags that easily fit under my rear seat. Not bulky at all.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Ezy Awning: std. or plus? Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
A search came up empty for what I'm looking for.

Can anyone post a pic of the Ezy Awning Plus size on a vanagon? It would be helpful to see the standard size freestanding over a picnic table too. Does it fit? And it would be awesome to see both models with the new front and side walls deployed as well. How cramped is the std. model enclosed?

Given the number of times we have felt the need for an awning, we feel the Ezy Awning is a good match for our needs. I like the idea of driving off with it in freestanding mode with side walls in a campground, or covering the length of a picnic table in a pinch. Just not sure which size is large enough to serve as an aux. shelter and I'd rather not buy too large.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the standard size.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the plus size

Bigger is better!!

Here's one with the new side walls on

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: awining Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
I've got the standard size. That was the only size available when I bought mine.

X2 Blue Bay Bus Have a standard on my 84 I like this size best. But got a shady boy on my syncro like it more! Like the jack mounts, the extra poles for free standing are a little tacky! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome responses, thanks. Couple question about the plus size: how much packing space does the front and two sidewalls take up? I like the idea of setting this up and leaving a campground for the day, which means an additional front to enclose the thing completely. Would additional velcro tabs be needed on the fourth side?
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: side walls Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
Awesome responses, thanks. Couple question about the plus size: how much packing space does the front and two sidewalls take up? I like the idea of setting this up and leaving a campground for the day, which means an additional front to enclose the thing completely. Would additional velcro tabs be needed on the fourth side?
Blue Bay Bus I love the awning on the van, and I got the extra poles for free standing but wont use them, why to lightweight ! It will not be there when you get back to camp! Even if you tie it down the poles wont hold it. When it's tied to the van it has some stability. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like each side is purchased individually?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to contact Bus Depot to see if the awnings have the velcro sewed in place on both the
front and back. You could always collaspe the awning from the van side and stake it down if you
wanted to leave the campsite for a bit. My Awning is stored between the front seats enroute to the
campground.

The side walls did not come with a bag to store them, I am using a nylon stuff sack
and the size is about half of a pillow in length and twice the thickness of one.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the plus size. Haven't tried the walls yet although we have them. Also curious to see if the freestanding stays standing!

climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singler,

Get the big one. With a family and gear/chairs on a soggy NW day, you will be glad you did.

If you leave camp for the day, it's easy to detach from the van. You can partially collapse the two standing poles to make the whole thing lower to the ground while you are gone. May look goofy, but less likely to catch a stray wind gust. Once it's properly staked down, it's very sturdy.

I love mine!

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get the bigger one.

With the bigger one you can open the front passenger door in the rain and have coverage with the awning - the "regular" version doesn't cover the door.

I got the free standing kit, but probably wouldn't buy it again if I had it to do over. Without the van there as stability, I think it would just blow over in a light breeze.
BrownBertha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to this thread i am a new owner of the larger awning. We set it up last night and sat under it for a while.

I agree the larger one is the way to go. For the price I am very happy with it.
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Ezy Awning: std. or plus? Reply with quote

I have the bigger version. I really like how compact it packs up, especially compared to the Bus Depot Add a Room tent. It would be even better if it came with individual bags for the awning and side/front walls.

Has anybody else noticed a pronounced bow to the front pole when it's erected? When mine is up there is quite the bow along the length of the front pole.

I got mine slightly used from my local classifieds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Ezy Awning: std. or plus? Reply with quote

I set mine up when new and took some photos. Looks like I've got the bow you are talking about.

By the way... my wife bought this for me as a gift and got the mounts for the jackpoints. This photo shows that they weren't very effective, at least for the plus size, due to the poles being in the way. Just thought I'd pass this on if someone was considering getting them.

And... that leak you see was the 2nd gear brake band that I later fixed.

Mark
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Ezy Awning: std. or plus? Reply with quote

Tim were there instructions for the side walls? I bought the larger one second hand, no instructions, seems straight forward enough...I threw one wall up when it was pouring and noticed it had Velcro on both sides, thought it was for the front wall, but now that I see yours set up, I think I had it in the some position yours is-there was no door i noticed in the wall I had up. So, I am wondering what the extra Velcro might be for? ie is there Velcro on both sides of all 3 walls, if so, any idea what it's for?

Timwhy wrote:

I have to wonder, Tim and a few others may be able to answer this, if the smaller one would be easier to put up by yourself!? I have the larger one, which I love, once up. Getting it from upside down on the ground, onto the side of the Vanagon is a two person job, unless you want to break something. I have to wonder if those complaining about the polls (??) were putting theirs up alone when theirs broke? Quality of it seems similar to my $40 Walmart one, and it's lasted me 2-3 years, with no signs of damage. That Walmart one is, however, easier to get standing on your own vs this Bus Depot one. I will have to learn to ask for help, not a skill I possess when setting up camp! LOL That said, I didn't ask for help this time, and several people came to my rescue! Thanks! I also made sure to tell the person that nagged me to get one in the first place that my free to me tarp I've always used would have been up and I'd have been reading my book half an hour ago! LOL Had to also admit I way preferred it once it really started raining! And, didn't mind putting it away at all!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Depot Ezy Awning: std. or plus? Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Tim were there instructions for the side walls? I bought the larger one second hand, no instructions, seems straight forward enough...I threw one wall up when it was pouring and noticed it had Velcro on both sides, thought it was for the front wall, but now that I see yours set up, I think I had it in the some position yours is-there was no door i noticed in the wall I had up. So, I am wondering what the extra Velcro might be for? ie is there Velcro on both sides of all 3 walls, if so, any idea what it's for?

Timwhy wrote:

I have to wonder, Tim and a few others may be able to answer this, if the smaller one would be easier to put up by yourself!? I have the larger one, which I love, once up. Getting it from upside down on the ground, onto the side of the Vanagon is a two person job, unless you want to break something. I have to wonder if those complaining about the polls (??) were putting theirs up alone when theirs broke? Quality of it seems similar to my $40 Walmart one, and it's lasted me 2-3 years, with no signs of damage. That Walmart one is, however, easier to get standing on your own vs this Bus Depot one. I will have to learn to ask for help, not a skill I possess when setting up camp! LOL That said, I didn't ask for help this time, and several people came to my rescue! Thanks! I also made sure to tell the person that nagged me to get one in the first place that my free to me tarp I've always used would have been up and I'd have been reading my book half an hour ago! LOL Had to also admit I way preferred it once it really started raining! And, didn't mind putting it away at all!

tam

I always set mine up by myself and its the plus size. I can see where getting the top up to the slider door opening can be an issue. What i do, it may even say this in the instruction i forget, is i build the slider door side away from the slider door and the front side closest to the slider door. That way after it is all together you just simply flip up the slider door side right up to the door opening. Eazy peazy. There is even a youtube video showing this technique
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: