Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dyno Day in the SF bay Area?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

Googled up, chassis dyno bay area. Got a few hits. With all this talk of this engine vs that , perhaps a dyno day is in order.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

The first ten maniacs to sign up can put a number into a hat. I'll pay for the number that gets pulled. C'mon. Cant be any easier. I'll put up my humble 85 with a 1.9 for the spit take oh shiza moment.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

Why do you want to dyno a 1.9? Doesn't the driving experience tell you enough?
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

Just to show you what I've been putting up with.
Are you in?
What would you bring to the party?
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

OK, I'll bite. Are you asking for moral support? Afraid the dyno scale won't go low enough to tell you how weak your rear wheel HP really is? It would be good to get a truck scale involved as well. A power to weight ratio would really be the ideal low number to have.
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

I don't know Regis, I think your 1.9 has warped your brain a bit. Very Happy
BUT, You can come borrow my van if you really need to satisfy your needs.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

I'm calling 68 rwhp:)

-Rob
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know, I think your 1.9 has warped your brain a bit. :D .

Yes. You're right. Am I that obvious? I actually beat it up a lot but it just won't die. It only needs more of everything. Don't tell our mutual friend.
Four cylinders? Pshaw. I'm an American. Stuff a V8 in that sucker. Add a blower with twin turbos, some nitrous and a set of zoomies. Sheesh.

It's tough being low man on the totem pole with the 1.9l. But I'm all tuned up, spruced up, smogged up, feeling frisky. I'm going out tomorrow morn to pull a few of my test hills on the way to the boneyard. I'll know if the recent efforts made any difference.
How about a drag race or tractor pull. How about a timed hill climb up Sunol grade or Dublin grade while heading into the wind.
All these zippy do , low buck to high buck, power plants that get transplanted have spoken results that are actually a bit subjective. Hows a guy supposed to pick a power plant without real time data.
It'd be nice to have a mixed bunch of entries so that that past coupla decades can end up with one place to prove themselves.
Just who has the Bee's Knees, huh?

So if this thread continues, let it be a place for volks to post whatever data they can add, other than the subjective, well, it feels faster , kind of entries.
No worries. No hurries. Or let the thread die. Love the interwebs.
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

Ok, I know you have to work to keep the kids in food, but when you have some free time lets test yours and mine.
We don't have to go to far. Let's do the Livermore grade on highway 84.
We will start at the signal light at the bottom of the hill.
I can usually make it over at 55 in forth gear and a good head of steam, if no traffic and hit the light when green. If I hit the light when red or someone slows me down, then I have to down shift to third to keep my speed up, (45-55) depends on the traffic.
Like yours on flat ground it's a slow rocket ship. Very Happy
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dyno Day in the SF bay Area? Reply with quote

I was out this morn. I use both sides of that hill and both sides of the Sunol Grade as my test hills. Sometimes I use the road to Del Valle but only under normal cruise speed and only see how far up I can go in fourth. It gets twisty.

This morn ,after getting a full tank for a baseline, heading up the north side Pigeon Pass I only lost 4 mph and did it in fourth. Wooza.
That's never happened before. Usually have to hit third 2/3 way up.

Heading up the east side, steeper of the two sides, of Sunol Grade I only lost six mph and also did that in fourth.

The magic our mutual friend did to my Weekie has helped.

Another test I saw on youtube was a self timed 0-60. The 1.9 was like ~35 seconds and the Subie transplant into the same vehicle was ~23.

A third test would be the infamous 30-50 third gear roll out that has history deep within this here website.

Your Westy is a bit heavier than my Weekender. Needs to be considered.

Isn't there a drag strip in Fremont somewhere? Or was that yesteryear

3-4% grades are not a problem with the 1.9l. Over that it becomes a chore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: