Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU get pulled over for?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daisy71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
In 1979, I was driving east on Fingerboard Road crossing over Interstate 278 on Staten Island in my '74 SB. On the west side of the bridge, the speed limit was 45 mph. I knew that the speed limit immediately dropped to 35 mph on the other side of the bridge, so I was in "gear down coast" mode. When I went past the 35 mph speed limit sign in a small curve, a New York City police officer was standing there with a hand held radar gun. He motioned for me to pull over, so I went around the curve to find a line of at least a half dozen drivers in their cars waiting on their speeding ticket.

When my turn came, I was ticketed for running 37 in a 35!!! End of month make-up tickets for sure.

I live on Staten Island, still a butt load of cops down there, I never had an issue though.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Felony dirty windshield- cops pulled us over and approached passenger side with guns drawn- took one look at us and as they were leaving- the rookie said "the dirt line on your windshield looks like the glass is broken"

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tony Z
Samba Member

Location: Playing in Cape Town, South Africa or working on the high seas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

A friend and I were cruising side by side doing 50mph in a 60 zone. We were the only cars on the road as far as we could see in both directions.
2 lanes each way.

A cop drives past us, turns around and chases us down.
He tells me that he pulled us over for street racing.
I pointed out that we were doing less than the speed limit.
He then changed his excuse to "attempted speeding"
He called out his station commander to breath test us and we both came up with 0.0%
He got such a scolding from his commander it was hysterical.

Gotta love Africa Laughing
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

1990/1972 Westy, my first bus/20 years old/Downtown Rochester, NY/Rochester Police Officer:

I turned left in a bus only lane in the city. Wink

PO: License and registration sir.
Me: Sure. Here ya go.
...waiting...PO returns...
PO: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: (Thinking because I'm in a bus--it was still the '90's) No.
PO: You turned in a bus only lane. Are you a bus? Do you wanna be a bus?
Friend in the back: Officer, this is a bus?
PO: Real funny kid. To me: It's for city buses only, got it?
Me: Yes officer.
PO: Drive safe and stay out of trouble fellas.
Me: (whew) Thanks officer. Have a grateful day! (always gotta get that smart a$$ quip in)
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I'm in my Jetta and I get pulled over in Santa Clara, Ca.
I'm sitting at a red light, a Cop is facing me in the on coming Left Turn lane.
I had driven straight through the intersection when the Left Hand Turn Light came on, the cop nearly hit me.
I was guilty, I jumped the light, and I knew it.
Cop stops me and ask "Do you know why I pulled you over"
I say "BECAUSE I'M STUPID"
Cop doesn't really know what to say, but gives me a ticket for running a red light.
AFTER determining that I'm not drunk, just stupid like I admitted to being.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

oh so many things....and once in a parking lot..parked....well it wasent realy a parking lot, but rather on the AFB reservation...just a few feet off the highway running through it....and most of the rest is x rated so......when she asked the cop to not aim his light there.....and he replied it's for my own safty......I stated you better keep a light on it cuz this thing is still loaded Shocked then he asked if we were millatery .....not any more but her husband is.......Ive been pulled over oh somany times. I now wonder why?? I wasent dooen nutten rong....... yes sir I forgot the mufflers and the tread.......no sir that isant a gun.....my car barly runs just listen to it.....racing whoo me??......can I fallow you back to the jail?? realy it's just painted to look fast ...and many more....must be a bad omen or something hanging over my head...flashing like hell. go figure.when shit happens...I seem to be there...or departing rapidly. dam i miss those days.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Got pulled over doing 90 mph in a 60 near Kingston, Ontario back in 1978 or 1979. To be fair it was a long downhill stretch, and I had it completely floored.

Cop says: "I didn't think these things could go that fast."

Fair ticket. Completely stock 1971 Super Beetle.

I don't drive them like that anymore.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Man, I don't know what you guys are doing to piss off the law enforcement. Last week at night, I was waiting at a red arrow with an explicit "no U-turn" sign. I looked around everywhere, made the U-turn on the red arrow and drove away. The cop that was waiting behind me at the light, turned his headlights on, pulled up along side me, waived, and sped past me and turned left when I went right......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Was on the highway the other night in the passing lane doing about 60 mph and this cop car pulled behind and flashed their headlights
I switched lanes to allow them to pass but they pulled alongside and indicated for me to pull over.
I stopped on the shoulder and was wondering what did I do wrong as they walked towards my car.
They asked me to step out of the car as they wanted to check it.
So they examined all areas inside, outside, engine, under the front hood etc while I stood there.
When they were finished they thanked me and made me a serious offer to purchase the car.
I told them it was not for sale but the offer was tempting.
What a relief, as my driving permit had expired two days prior.
Shanghai Paddles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Fortunately I haven't been pulled over in my bug yet, but about a month ago I got pulled over in my '86 Quantum Syncro Wagon. I had recently purchased the car and had applied for personalized plates, so I still had a paper plate in the rear window. The windows are tinted, so at night it can be hard to see.

Officer pulls me over on my way home from work, around 11 PM. Says he couldn't see my license plate, but once he'd pulled me over he could see it. I could tell he was a new cop, must have been 22 at best. Anyway, he couldn't understand why my temp plate was for 60 days. He said they only issue 21 day plates. I explained it was because I had applied for personalized plates and that it takes time to actually make them, so they give longer plates. He still didn't really buy it, but went back to run my vin to make sure.

He came back and said everything came back fine(as it should) but that my license plate lights we both out, but that maybe the car was too old and they didn't have license plate lights back in 1986. I felt no need to correct him, and he let me go with a warning Very Happy
2002 Audi S6 Avant ~When you need groceries fast~
2002 Audi S6 Avant, Manual Swap ~When you need groceries fast, but want to have fun~
2005 Audi A4, 2.0t APR Stage 1 ~Cause I needed another car...~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Shanghai Paddles wrote:
my license plate lights we both out, but that maybe the car was too old and they didn't have license plate lights back in 1986. I felt no need to correct him, and he let me go with a warning Very Happy

LOL, that is crazy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I did get a ticket coming back from the drag strip in my bug when I had the skinys up front & the Mickey Thompson 19.5"x33" street pros on the rear... for the liscence plate light that wasent a clear or white bulb...... with my 10 year old daughter in the car with me...then a year or so lator one stoped me for running a stop sigin again same kid in car, I got out of it after I convinced him it was the car infront of me that ran the stop sigin....then &got sorounded in wallmart parking lot by a effed up cop&pile of his buddys, said I ran him off the road or cut him off or some crap, again same kid in car...hmm come to think on it I have never been pulled over without her.... Shocked Confused she is in cali now at some think tank institute in montarey....I reckon Im safe now, but I do miss her.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

two months ago I got a ticket for "unsafe lane change" in my Kia Cadenza.
The Cop said I didn't signal when I changed lanes (not even illegal in CA under certain circumstances), but I most certainly did.
I questioned him for details,he wouldn't expand upon it, and was quite curt with me.
It's cool, he could have been having a bad day, just returned from some fatality accident, who knows...
Anyway, I went to court to fight it, the Cop didn't show, so it was dismissed for lack of evidence.

for Bug tickets, I got a couple speeding tickets (right?) was back in the early nineties, but the big money one was a no seatbelt ticket.Well, Tickets.
Wife wasn't wearing hers at the time, so She got one and I got one for allowing her to not wear one LOL

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I know kinda of an old thread. But hey... It's just ticket stories anyway. Right?

Last year I had to go home for some sort of documentation during my lunch hour. I hop in my beetle and get down to business. At the red light in front of the library a souped up Subi pulls along side. The light turns green and the Subi tree's me clears the intersection and shifts into my lane under hard acceleration. Ok Game on. I chase down the Subi and he pulls up on the back of a Toyota doing 35 in a 45 zone. The Subi changes lanes and nails the gas, I do the same and pass the slow Toyota. We are now way above 45mph and headed for the up coming red light.
The Subi naturally beats me to the light and makes a right turn after an apparent full stop. When the Subi makes the turn he's hard on the gas and sliding sideways.
I in the mean time am waiting for traffic to clear before making the right turn to chase the Subi. All of the sudden I hear the siren and check my mirrors. I can't see the cop but he is lead footing it around me in chase of the Subi.
I make the right turn and proceed toward the house, only to encounter the cop waiting for me at the airport parking driveway. He waves me into the lot. I wait for him, hands on the wheel.
Cop tells me that I ran the red light(failure to yield a traffic controlling device). I explain that's not possible as I was waiting for the on coming traffic to clear before turning right. Cop says No! You did not come to a compete stop before proceeding. At this point I'm not going to argue.
I mean after all I was in affect Street Racing. Funny thing is that the Subi I'm sure did not make a complete stop before the right turn either. But the cop tells me that it did indeed come to a stop. He thought that I would and was surprised that I didn't.
He writes my ticket. Then starts asking about my 67. What size engine it has and all that. I guess the ultimate compliment came from the cop who stated that it was pretty fast! Turns out that the cop is a former VW engine builder. Go figure!
No way I can get out of that ticket. I just paid the fine and moved on with life.

Years ago I got pulled over for running a red light.
This was a cop in a D.A.R.E. confiscated black Corvette with a light bar and all the usual cop car shit on it. I was wondering if the light bar worked.
Funny thing is that the reason I ran the light is that I was looking at the cop car in the rear view mirror and realized that the van I was driving was in the intersection when the light turned red.
4 blocks later, I found the answer to my question about the light bar. It did in fact work Embarassed
Cop pulls me over and asks a ton of questions like what was I thinking. I told him I was admiring his car and wondering if the light bar worked.
I must have said the right words. He let me off with a warning and stern lecture. Thank you Officer Gartowski!

Have a great day and make an effort to stay on the good side of the law.

Fuck it! I'm gonna speed!!!!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

My Bug got rear ended and I removed the bumper so I could open the deck lid. A few nights later while driving home after swing shift, I was pulled over by the CHP. I figured it was for the lack of a bumper, but instead I got a fixit ticket because my left tail light was out. I had the tail light fixed almost immediately...good old fuse roll...but I couldn't believe he didn't say anything about the bumper. The CHP officer who signed off on the ticket didn't mention the bumper either. Laughing
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Well to be clear. I didn't get pulled over, but I did just have an encounter with the local police dept. They pulled down my driveway looking for an unstable woman. They stopped at my house and asked if I had seen her. "No officer, I have not."
Officer Weggman in the pass seat asks. "Hey is that a 68?" My beetle was parked in front of my garage door. I said no it's a 67, and the conversation was on about beetle ownership. Turns out he had a SB a few years ago and sold it to make room in his garage.
We shot the shit for a few minutes and then he mentioned a local guy a few miles away that has a field of old vw's. I ask where, and reaches for his phone to give me the vw field owners contact info.

Some police officers are just normal cool guys. Thank you officer Weggman. You rock!

Sometimes it pays to be nice to the guys that you call when some asshole does bad thing to your life.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I once got pulled over in my work truck for speeding. It was a speed trap, but I was speeding so I was guilty as sin. Getting a speeding ticket in your work truck is a big no-no where I work so I was freaking out and nervous. Cop comes up to my window and asks for my license. I fumble for it, and hand it over. He looks at it, and says "Where is it?" I say, "Where is what?" He say, "Your gun?" I say, "How do you know I have a gun?" He says, "Because you just handed me your concealed weapons permit". I say, "Oh, shit...sorry...here" and hand him my license. I tell him my gun is at home and I only bring it with me when I know I'll be working in remote areas.

He takes my license back to his car. He comes back, and proceeds to tell me how our nation needs more people like me, basically giving me a "why we need good guys with guns" speech, and then lets me go!
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

I work on the road, doing around 60k miles a year so I get more tickets than your average Joe.

I got pulled over only once with the buggy though. And I was kind of scared because here, the buggy falls into some kind of legal grey area and lotsa stuff on it ain't exactly kosher: the rear wheels got very aggressive camber, the tires stick out the fenders, no rear bumper, no license plate light, a shortened pan of probably dubious origin , very obviously non-stock engine etc. etc. well you get the jist.

I was exiting a 30 mph section of backroad and the cop caught me at around 50. The thing that pissed me off is this: I was acccelerating because about 60 something yards farther down the road was the 50mph sign.... I would have pleaded and argued a bit more with the guy had I been in my regular car, And I probably would've gotten out of it too. But a little voice inside my head went" hey keep it cool you idiot, you don't want your toy taken away on a flatbed and impounded".

The cop took my registrations looked around the buggy and said: "So this is a 1972 Volkswagen bug, eh?" knowing full well that it wasn't. To wich I semi-lied: "Yeah it is underneath, with a body kit VW did in the 70's..." He kicked my rear tires a few times, nosed around a bit and decided that he had been enough of an asshole by giving me a ticket so close to the 50 mph signpost that he just let me go. It was around 4 PM, so he was at the end of his day shift and probably just didn't want to deal with all the paperwork involved with towing and pound etc. etc. Luckily for me.
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

We didn’t exactly get pulled over but here’s the story: in about 1987 me and four other friends decided to take a road trip in our 1963 bus. Generally we would pick a direction and drive. We were in the absolute middle of nowhere in elpaso. It was about 10:00 at night and we realized that our taillights had gone out so we were being very cautious. By 12:00 we were all very tired and with only desert in sight we decided to stop and camp on the side of the road. We had this ratty couch sitting in the bus and we pulled it out and grabbed a bunch of sticks and kindling from some bushes and started a campfire. After about six hours we were woken up by a very annoyed highway patrolman who told us to get moving. Somewhat well rested we packed the couch back in and kept driving.
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU get pulled over for? Reply with quote

Pulled over more times than I can count. Long ago and far away I was pretty lazy about lights and stuff. When my ex-wife would get stopped for a taillight or something she'd start a loud and profane rant about how she'd been nagging me to fix it 'til the cop would tell her to calm down; this would get me off my ass. Once I got stopped and the cop said " You know you'be got no taillights at all?" I said "none at all? That's really strange" I went back and started hammering on the fender of the one that had worked and when it came on switched to the one that hadn't worked in sometime and the cop said "Look, just go where you're going and fix it ". My buddy's laughing his ass off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: