Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

I highly recommend test fitting the trans to the engine to make sure that the clutch does not contact the bellhousing just below the starter.

Some material may need to be removed to allow the two to mate perfectly.

FYI, I have watch someone who didnt really care, mate them with slight contact and fire the engine.
Sure, the aluminum gave way easily, but that is not how I roll.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

You are going to want to properly connect the EGR plumbing. There is a temp sensor that checks if the EGR system is working. I am not certain, but I believe that it can cause a DTC code. Without the exhaust gases going into the intake in light-load conditions, the engine will have a tendency to ping, which you will never hear, because the knock control will dial back your ignition timing. This then gets compounded by the ECU which has a "learning" function and which will then change your spark map which takes away power in the affected RPM and load range and reduces fuel efficiency. On my SVX, I find a noticeable power decrease whenever I have run regular gas (87 octane vs 94 octane). The power loss can last for a couple of tanks of 94 before the ECU "re-learns" and goes back to the original spark map.

I found that mild steel, and even brake line (easy to bend) can be used to get the EGR plumbed and operating. The stainless is pretty, but not necessary.
Macwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Thanks very much for those tips fellas. I will do both!

Scott
VanaConn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

This is funny because I have the identical color 81 westy that I decided to rebuild stock. Felt like it was too much extra work with the heater cores and required parts . Cudo's to you however. I bought another water cooled 86 westy to convert to SVX power. Should be done this summer. I am only two hours away from you. Hit up my group if you haven't on FB >Subaru Six Cylinder VW Van. I am not planning on running EGR but find the info interesting. I do plan to run 93 octane. It will be an animal for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Macwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

VanaConn wrote:
This is funny because I have the identical color 81 westy that I decided to rebuild stock. Felt like it was too much extra work with the heater cores and required parts... I am only two hours away from you. Hit up my group if you haven't on FB >Subaru Six Cylinder VW Van.

I considered staying air-cooled but when I looked at the expense and that I'd end up with 68hp it just didn't make sense as I want to use the van on longer trips with gear, bikes, passengers, etc..

I've been lurking on the Subaru Six Cylinder VW Van page for some time. 😀

Scott
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

As Howe has mentioned, the EGR plumbing is not difficult to accomplish and it does smooth out the ride Wink

Not going environmental on either, BUT, it is part of the emissions system, ya dig Wink
Don't piss off the polar bears any more than necessary.
VanaConn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Macwesty wrote:
VanaConn wrote:
This is funny because I have the identical color 81 westy that I decided to rebuild stock. Felt like it was too much extra work with the heater cores and required parts... I am only two hours away from you. Hit up my group if you haven't on FB >Subaru Six Cylinder VW Van.

I considered staying air-cooled but when I looked at the expense and that I'd end up with 68hp it just didn't make sense as I want to use the van on longer trips with gear, bikes, passengers, etc..

I've been lurking on the Subaru Six Cylinder VW Van page for some time. 😀

Scott

Ok Great, When I think about it now I should have done my 81 because it is a clean rust free CA van and your right the $5k I spent on the engine and trans could have been spent on a SVX conversion. Really most of my money went into the Subarugears build on my 86. Maybe we can meet up and compare notes when we are both done. I am overhauling the suspension,brakes and steering at the moment. The 3.3 is done and waiting for me to wrap up the trans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Macwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
As Howe has mentioned, the EGR plumbing is not difficult to accomplish and it does smooth out the ride Wink

Not going environmental on either, BUT, it is part of the emissions system, ya dig Wink
Don't piss off the polar bears any more than necessary.

Insyncro, I give you credit for your consistent message to keep our vans emission compliant, even for those of us that live in states/areas without emissions checks. Also, your continued support of this forum is greatly appreciated. I would say more but I think I'll save for an in-person visit sometime when I can buy you a beer. That goes for Howesight too!
Macwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Small steps yesterday and today. Picked up a 4" hose clamp to secure the subaru charcoal canister and finished modifying the subaru airbox and mounted the airbox bracket I fabricated.

Airbox bracket:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Airbox block plate. Used 4 6mm bolts with lock washers and nuts along with Permatex form-a-gasket. Should keep the air drawing through the AFM.

My air compressor swallowed its compression ring this weekend so I put my dremel tool to work for some of this light metal fabrication. I went to pick up some reinforced cutting disks and found that dremel has a nice new quick lock system with even beefier metal cutting disks. I always appreciate when people include tips about tools they find effective/useful during their builds so here is one from me. Dremel EZ-lock. Great in tight spaces and pretty inexpensive with the basic Dremel tool at $49 and this EZ-lock cutting kit at $15.

Scott
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
You are going to want to properly connect the EGR plumbing. There is a temp sensor that checks if the EGR system is working. I am not certain, but I believe that it can cause a DTC code. Without the exhaust gases going into the intake in light-load conditions, the engine will have a tendency to ping, which you will never hear, because the knock control will dial back your ignition timing. This then gets compounded by the ECU which has a "learning" function and which will then change your spark map which takes away power in the affected RPM and load range and reduces fuel efficiency. On my SVX, I find a noticeable power decrease whenever I have run regular gas (87 octane vs 94 octane). The power loss can last for a couple of tanks of 94 before the ECU "re-learns" and goes back to the original spark map..

I think the first couple years didn't have that temp sensor?

Also Howesight, are you running the ECUtune 1.5 chip (aka the SmallCar chip) and still experiencing the power/economy loss or are you running a stock ECU?
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
The stainless is pretty, but not necessary.

You can still buy that EGR tube from Subaru.

Part# 14725AA091

$40 online.

Requires a little massaging to mate up to the smallcar exhaust.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

wasserbox wrote:
Howesight wrote:

Part# 14725AA091

$40 online.

Excellent price! Can you tell me who sells at that price? The folks I was dealing with for online Subie parts wanted a lot more for that EGR pipe - - if they could get it in stock. EDIT: Nevermind, I found the seller.

As I understand it, the new (since 2012, IIRC) Small Car SVX header, in addition to using a better grade of stainless, has re-located the EGR bung so that the factory EGR pipe bolts on without modification. Bonus!
Macwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

wasserbox wrote:
Howesight wrote:

Part# 14725AA091
$40 online.

Ordered from subarupartsdepot.com. Thanks wasserbox!
Scott
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:

As I understand it, the new (since 2012, IIRC) Small Car SVX header, in addition to using a better grade of stainless, has re-located the EGR bung so that the factory EGR pipe bolts on without modification. Bonus!

Yes. I wouldn't say completely without modification, but about 20 minutes with a tubing bender should sort you out.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Yes the newest SC header has the EGR port.

You have to ask RMW to add it.
They may not even build EG33 exhausts any longer, haven't checked in years, so be forewarned.
VanaConn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
You are going to want to properly connect the EGR plumbing. There is a temp sensor that checks if the EGR system is working. I am not certain, but I believe that it can cause a DTC code. Without the exhaust gases going into the intake in light-load conditions, the engine will have a tendency to ping, which you will never hear, because the knock control will dial back your ignition timing.
The exhaust gas is only drawn in on one cylinder in the lower portion of the manifold . It is not drawn equally through the intake. Surely can't be helpful to the burn in that cylinder .Maybe the 96/97 OBD2 motors different? There surely is a way to fool the circuit if so.
I am not running EGR and Macwesty is. We live about an hour apart so I guess we will find out how they both run.
bosco53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Good stuff here! Can't wait to see it done! Cool

Uncle Buck, 86 Syncro GL Camper Conversion - Restored to it's original glory and sold. 💔
Macwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

So Labor Day weekend got me jump started on my SVX conversion again. I continued this weekend and have made some great progress.

First order of business was to give this air-cooled van some water-cooled parts. I sourced an upper radiator bracket and cooling fan wiring harness from a Samba member. After some prep I welded it in and mounted the radiator.

Oh boy, it ain't air-cooled anymore!

Next, after mounting the tranny to the engine I couldn't resist putting the drivetrain in the van. Not having an engine crane and being by myself I scratched my head and bit and decided that I'd go Egyptian on the situation. I cut some PVC pipe sections for rollers and grabbed a 2x6. I measured the height of the motor as it sat on the PVC pipe and 2x6 and then jacked up the van until the rear apron was just above the required height. The motor and tranny rolled in there slick as grease. With the help of a couple floor jacks I had the motor and tranny installed in less than an hour.

Oh, man! If this doesn't get you excited better switch to basket weaving!

This weekend's activities started with getting the front-to-rear coolant pipes installed and running the heater hoses. This was a big deal to me. I bet most people converting water-cooled vans to a different engine don't give this much thought but installing coolant pipes in an air-cooled van is a real turning point and a motivator! I got the coolant pipes from Bus Depot. I found it easier to install the front coolant pipes from behind the gas tank with the gas tank lowered a bit. I've spent some time scratching my head during this part of the project because I don't have anything to go by. Since there were no coolant pipes previously I couldn't just match up the new pipes to what was there before. I'm also using the Smallcar coolant pipe kit which provides a stainless coolant pipe to run the coolant from the coolant manifold (non-reversed) around the back of the engine compartment and just forward of the coolant reservoir to meet up with the coolant pipe for the run forward to the radiator. Another stainless coolant pipe joins the hose that attaches to the thermostat to the return coolant pipe from the radiator.

The smaller stainless coolant pipe doesn't really have a mount point. I'm sure if I call Smallcar and ask what to do about this they will say use zip ties. I'm not thrilled with that idea but that is what I've done at least temporarily. What do others do with this shorter coolant pipe? you can see in the picture below I'm holding the pipe in question.

I wrapped up the day starting to remove the upper portion of the firewall just forward of the SVX throttle body. I should have just removed this before I installed the motor and tranny but I just wasn't sure it was necessary and want to avoid cutting on the van wherever necessary. I intend to the use the stock intake from the SVX which is at least 5" wide while there is only 4" of clearance between the throttle body inlets and the bodywork. That was the piece of info I was lacking. My spot weld drill bit proved to be dull, however, so I switched to sorting out the Smallcar engine mount. As pointed out by others the slots in the Smallcar engine mount don't have much surface area for the heads of the bolts to grip. I had some cylinder head bolt washers from another project which are not much bigger in diameter than the bolt heads which did the trick.

I also worked on the area of the rear frame rails where the stock VW engine crossbar mounts (now much further rearward). I ran into some trouble when drilling the rear hole on the passenger side as the hole being drilled broke leaving no material to put a bolt through. I'll probably get some 2" angle iron and fabricate some brackets that will bolt through the bumper bracket holes.

All in all I am really pleased with the progress I've made these last two weekends. I'll pick up a couple spot weld drills and get that firewall out of the way this week. Lots of small details to see to, of course, but I feel like I am rolling downhill on this project now!

Scott
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Macwesty wrote:

The smaller stainless coolant pipe doesn't really have a mount point. I'm sure if I call Smallcar and ask what to do about this they will say use zip ties. I'm not thrilled with that idea but that is what I've done at least temporarily. What do others do with this shorter coolant pipe? you can see in the picture below I'm holding the pipe in question.

Scott

I have used a backet here that goes from the engine bay shield to the bolt holding the coolant pressure tank and secured the pipe with a "P Clamp". I have also used a P clamp on each pipe and secured them to each other on another vehicle I converted.

mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air-cooled to SVX EG33 conversion Reply with quote

Macwesty wrote:

I also worked on the area of the rear frame rails where the stock VW engine crossbar mounts (now much further rearward). I ran into some trouble when drilling the rear hole on the passenger side as the hole being drilled broke leaving no material to put a bolt through. I'll probably get some 2" angle iron and fabricate some brackets that will bolt through the bumper bracket holes.

Scott

This the reinforcing plate I used on one of my conversions, ties to the towbar bolts.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: