Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing a Car from Brazil for Dummies!
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dropgates63USA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Importing a Car from Brazil for Dummies! Reply with quote

HELLO ALL.
I decided to post this here to clarify a lot of doubts about the mystery and lack of info in how buying a car from brazil. this is based in my personal experience in bringing my 1970 beetle from there.(1970 BEETLES, LOOK LIKE 1960 US ONES, STILL 5 WIDE AND 1970 IS LAST YEAR FOR SPLIT BUMPERS.......i wanna clarify, that im not connected, related, partners, with NOBODY involved in this process and i dont have any interest in making a profit or a business out this, otherwise i would keep all this info as a secret. ALTHOUGH, IF EVENTUALLY I DECIDE TO SELL ONE OF MY CARS, PLEASE DO NOT CALL ME A HYPOCRITE. all this info here is nothing but my true and honest experience that i just acquired...also, dont mind my poor grammar. im actually originally from BR and leaving in this AMAZING nation for the past 16 years...my wife went to bed already and she is the american who corrects my grammar.. Laughing . (not kidding)
1- This is my story.
Went to BR to visit my family in April of 2016 and saw this beetle, felt in love and bought the thing..(not my first VW, i owned several split windows bugs, u name it)...the car is a unbelievable restoration!!! the guy who did the job cant be called a just a body shop guy, and yes a artist.....anyways, got the car in the 3 last days of my vacation and drove the shit out of it....then made the decision that i want that car in the USA...

2- Started digging info and found a lot of dead end with no concrete answers, and started calling the people i know in the USA who i know to be big in the VW community and i know that they know people... called my bud DAN, (crusty67) and he gave me a card for a guy who happened to be in the last show in the east coast(NO DOUGH SHOW)???? something like that...guys name is Rafael from BRAZILIAN CLASSIC CARS....once again, idk Rafael, and even knowing that im Brazilian too, im not related to him, i just decided to use his service, which was quite impressive.

3- The guy from brazil, Rafael from BCC, he speaks English, which dont matter to me, cause we speak the same language...contacted him and automatically he told me to download an app to my phone called whattzapp, which would make communication very easy and simple, and honestly, every time i would "text" him, he ll get back to me in seconds. very impresive.

4- the process.
first of all, remember that im using BCC for the logistic and paper work necessary, and i DID NOT PURCHASED THE CAR FROM BCC... BCC offers cars, like buses(splits) bugs, and a lot different air cooled vws.
After we agreed in the amount of 3000 EUROS,( about 3390.00 us dollars) paid thru bank transfer from my bank in US to his account.... he would do all the logistics= pick up car at my parents with a truck, transport to his warehouse in CURITIBA, STATE OF PARANA, which is about 1000km from my parents, store the car in his warehouse, order the container, prepare the car, like drain gas and disconnect battery, load it into the container, secure it and finally move it to the port in PARANAGUA, also in the state of PARANA....also he took care of all the paper work necessary to board the container into the ship...all this, was kept in touch thru WHATTZAPP, with pictures and info when the ship would leave. ONCE AGAIN, IM NOT HERE TO PROMOTE BCC OR THE GUY WHO OWNS IT....im just sharing my experience with the guy and hes business and i would recommend him all day long. As far the cars he sells, i cant say much cause i haven't seen it in person, but they look really good in photos.

MY RECOMMENDATION IS, GET A FLIGHT TO BR FOR ABOUT 800 BUCKS AND GO SEE THE CARS IN PERSON, THAT WAY YOU HAVE YOUR OWN OPINION. I WILL TALK ABOUT THE BRAZILIAN CARS TOWARDS THE END, AND EVEN KNOWING SOMETIMES I SOUND A LITTLE CONFUSING, READ TO THE END AND YOU GET SOMETHING GOOD OUT THIS.

-I had the name of the ship, which was provided by Rafael, so every time i typed on google, i would get the location of the ship which was pretty cool.

- next step, was find someone here to receive the container and clear with customs..Rafael recommended this guy (RODRIGO+NORMAN) from QUALITY LOGISTICS in miami..this people sent all the paper work necessary to clear the container with CBP... the cost was about 3800.00 US dollars for everything which included some unexpected charges like X ray the container.....all that said this is the results:
-30 days total time from board container to unload in Miami
-total cost: about 7200 us dollars.
-car is safe and sound in my hands
-one very happy guy!!! Laughing
-Tittle was sent to QUALITY and i haven't got to the tittle part yet, which i already did some research and should be no problem due the fact of the car being over 30 years old. should cost about 500 bucks..I WILL POST MORE INFO AS I LEARN.

VERY IMPORTANT: THE VEHICLES YOU SEE WITH A "BLACK LICENSE PLATE", THEY ARE THE BEST ONES. **** THAT MEANS, THAT THE CAR IS CONSIDERED A "COLLECTION VEHICLE" AND IT WENT THRU A VERY-VERY METICULOUS INSPECTION.. IT MEANS THE CAR REACHED A 85% OR MORE ORIGINALITY..KEEP IN MIND, IF THE CAR LEFT THE MANUFACTURE RED, AND WAS RESTORED WITH 100% ORIGINAL PARTS AND WAS PAINTED WITH A INCORRECT COLOR, IT WILL NEVER QUALIFY FOR A "BLACK TAG" THIS MEANS, THAT IF YOU SEE A VERY NICE SPLIT WINDOW AND IT DOENST HAVE A BLACK TAG, IT DOENST MEAN IT AIN'T A GOOD BUS, IS JUST PROBABLY AN NOT ORIGINAL COLOR...ALSO ANOTHER THING THAT COULD CAUSE A "NO" BLACK TAG, IS THE FACT OF THE PERSON REGISTERED AS OWNER, NOT BE A MEMBER OF A CAR CLUB FOR AT LIST 6 MONTHS.... WITH ALL THIS INFO, KEEP IN MIND, BLACK TAG IS A HUUUUGEE +....THE INSPECTION FOR BLACK TAG USUALLY TAKES 3 TO 4 HOURS.

NOW, ABOUT THE BRAZILIAN CARS: keep in mind, buses down there, are work cars, like our econolines, savannas here in USA. they use the CRAP OF THEN IN THERE...even with all that, BR dont have snow, or salty roads, so the cars aren't rusty like the ones in USA. is a lot of buses in there, A-LOT. so you will find one which ain't beat the shit out...

MY EXPERIENCE, I WENT THERE ON THURSDAY BEFORE MOTHERS DAY, AND LEFT ON TUESDAY,..I WAS ABLE TO LOCATE 2 BUSES, ONE 1967, 2 OWNERS IN BEAUTIFUL CONDITION, AND ANOTHER 1973(STILL SPLIT WINDOW) ONE OWNER, UNMOLESTED, PRISTINE CONDITION....KEEP IN MIND...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...THEY COST ME COMBINED, OVER 16K US DOLLAR. IF YOU THINK THEY ARE DIRT CHEAP, WRONG!! IS A LOT CHEAP ONES, BUT JUNK.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, good luck..and i will ad info as i remember OR LEARN MORE.
1969 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a Car from Brazil for Dummies! Reply with quote

Awesome article! Thank you for sharing this information!
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a Car from Brazil for Dummies! Reply with quote

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you spent over $7,000 to get the car here? Is that including the actual cost of the car itself? Seems like a waste of money when you could spend that same amount of money and buy a 50's-60's car that already here in the states.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Importing a Car from Brazil for Dummies! Reply with quote

Probably about getting a Brazilian vehicle. Money not being the object.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Dropgates63USA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing a Car from Brazil for Dummies! Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you spent over $7,000 to get the car here? Is that including the actual cost of the car itself? Seems like a waste of money when you could spend that same amount of money and buy a 50's-60's car that already here in the states.

completely agree with you. this for me was a experience, so i could learn and bring the 2 buses i have down there.both are 1 owner buses, unmolested, i would never take a chance with those.... if i take the money i have in the beetle and the shipping, you right, much better to get the car here. the thing is, now i have a very unique car, a 1970 which looks like a 65, completely restored with 97% of originality, from BR, and i bet, it will raise a lot of questions and curiosity's..
1969 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: