Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Torsion Springs
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Front Torsion Springs Reply with quote

After having my ball joints replaced, I had an unfortunate mishap resulting in loosing the left front wheel on my completely restored 73 Thing.

Lessons Learned: Its always a good idea to check not only your own work but that of others. $%#&.

Result: body damage and my Thing riding up over the free wheel and slamming down on the left drum. I am lucky to live through the experience as I was only going 25 mph, in and out of an irrigation ditch nearly rolling over and sliding 50 feet down the road. The problem for me is I had the work done a year ago-but only driven the car 20 miles since having the work done. going back to the shop is not my first option.

The body is now sitting slightly lower on the left side. The left shock was blown out and both have been replaced. There appears to be no bent parts underneath and the pan and beam sit square but as rock the left side up and down there is a clicking sound that must be one of the torsion springs. I have no experience replacing them and I do not want to remove the beam unless necessary.

Are there any threads outlining the procedure? How hard is it? I am not taking this Thing anywhere to have this work done other than by myself.

Love your lugnuts
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front Torsion Springs Reply with quote

check my build thread, we just did the torsion springs last year, and its pretty much the same for a bus as on a thing. Its really not that hard. there are plenty of other threads that outline the procedure as well, you might just have to search the bus and bug forums

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Front Torsion Springs Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the reply. Will do. Sad(( quite upset right now. . . Actually p****ed
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Front Torsion Springs Reply with quote

no prob..its on page 2 if you dont want to browse.. Id be pissed too!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: