Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reflective Westfalia Stickers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverboot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

i would be interested in the Riviera sticker as well, if you're keeping a tally of whether it is worth your time or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
notchboy wrote:
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Only the 79 got the decal from the factory, until the zvanagon came along that is.
That said, most buses have had a decal slapped on over time because people assume they should be there, or like how it looks.
There is also a decal above each door with the Westfslia logo. As for what years had this (if not all) I am uncertain.

This is exactly it. I have the sticker front and rear on my 77 Westy cuz it looks cool.

The side westfalia logo doesn't appear till 74 when they change the roof if I recall correctly. 1976 half hear got a special one. Some have the cool 76' some dont. I ran a batch of those cool 76 ones and have some left if anyone is interested. $20 pair.

What side decal are you talking about. My 72 has side decals, looks pretty orginal. Do you have a photo of the side decal?

The one that goes on the luggage rack portion of the top. All the lit Ive seen has it start at 74. So I could be wrong or someone put one on yours - PO.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

Thanks Jason, the decals on mine look 100 years old. Even the Fiberglas looks like it's a bit raised where the decal goes. It's located forward on the luggage rack where the top pops. Intriguing. Always thought that was orginal. Might be time for some repop ones. And you guys should do a Rivi decal poll. More Riviera guys will see it.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

Hard to discount age like that. Looks legit. Wink Who knows what Karl did at the factory Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

The "L" with the sharp corner is correct

Just a regular guy
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

Weird. If you zoom in on the back of the sticker and look at the Westfalia logo, the L is rounded.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

Since it was mentioned that the Westfalia logo didn't really get used much until the Vanagon, I perused the Vanagon gallery and searched "pop top" and looked for pics showing the logo.

I'd say that it seemed that about 50/50 of the logos showed each style of the L.

However, the nicest examples had the sharp L, and the more faded (and more likely original?) seemed to have a more rounded L.

So my thought/guess is that originally the L was rounded, but at some point along the way it was made into the sharp L for whatever reason and any replacement stickers (such as the one pictured) also always just had the sharp L.

[/img]

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

Westfalia sticker was located only on the left rear 78-79, according to this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77220&highlight=westfalia+sticker%2A

Tcash
Big Papi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
If these sell, I would do one that says RIVIERA. I already had one person email me asking.
Problem is the material is EXPENSIVE. So, if there are only a handful of people interested it isn't really worth it to do so many. You know?

I would be interested in a Riviera sticker.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

Here is another old sticker. Note the rounded L.

I am convinced that the original stickers had the rounded L that matches the rest of the Westfalia logos pictured (side sticker, "Westfalia Quality" sticker on the back of the new sticker, etc), and the sharp L didn't come until later. One can only speculate why that one detail would have been changed, as the rounded L seems to fit the "font" better anyway.

So if the OP will confirm that the stickers will come with the rounded L, I'll order one. (Ad still showed sharp L.)

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

So if the OP will confirm that the stickers will come with the rounded L, I'll order one. (Ad still showed sharp L.)

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Fixed!

This is what I will cut.

Thanks BUSBOSS!

Ad still shows the sharp L because the ones with the curve aren't installed on my bus - yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

[quote="obnoxiousblue"]
vwwestyman wrote:

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Fixed!

This is what I will cut.

Thanks BUSBOSS!

[/quote

Ad still shows the sharp L because the ones with the curve aren't installed on my bus - yet.

You should put that pic in the ad. Smile

Just paypaled for 2.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

My 78 had the original sticker on the drivers side rear when I bought it.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

It's weird I've just seen 15 Vanagons of all ages. Some had the sharp L
Most had the curved L. Two Euro vans have the smaller decal with curved L. I was getting parts at a local shop and checked out the decals. None on the bay's I saw. My neighbor has a late Van it has the curved L too.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

I ordered one for my Vanagon Westy. I'll post on that forum when I get it and link to this topic. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

The only thing we can say with certainty is that in January of 2000, Westfalia was producing stickers with the sharp "L." It is likely that over the years both styles were produced and therefor either would be correct. It would be up to the owners preference.

When I bought my 1978 Westy, it had a sticker on the back of the roof in poor condition. I replaced it with a new one, but this was back in the late 80's. I am the third owner. So I would guess that my bus came with one from the factory.

Just a regular guy
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Fixed!

This is what I will cut.

Thanks BUSBOSS!

No - thank you!

I just purchased mine.
(sold - but not forgotten)
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

German Supply has been selling reflective Westfalia stickers for years and for a lot less than $25. Just sayin' ...
www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17072&cat=&page=1
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

I don't think 18 is a lot less than 25, when he doesn't include shipping and I do...
Plus, you know I'll answer your emails in a reasonable amount of time. But, that's for a different thread...
Just sayn'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reflective Westfalia Stickers Reply with quote

Actually that's $18 CAD which is only $14 USD but who's counting Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: