Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

I just use a couple of longer bolts to get the cover started on and then install the correct length bolts in the other two holes once the cover is draw up enough. Did you use talcum powder on the bushing?
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I just use a couple of longer bolts to get the cover started on and then install the correct length bolts in the other two holes once the cover is draw up enough. Did you use talcum powder on the bushing?

Straight up Talc. Did everything as the book said and from reading these post. I know for a fact my bolts and torsion tube on the passenger side are cross threaded now. This sucks. If you have any info on bolt sizes please let me know. I'd like to order these time-serts as quickly as possible.

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

make sure it is real talc and not corn starch. Many things that look like talc are mostly corn starch. I think Johnson's is the only real talc we could find when we looked.

Also FWIW - anyone who wants talc better get it now because it is pulled due to all these suits about ovarian cancer.
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
make sure it is real talc and not corn starch. Many things that look like talc are mostly corn starch. I think Johnson's is the only real talc we could find when we looked.

Also FWIW - anyone who wants talc better get it now because it is pulled due to all these suits about ovarian cancer.

Like my above post says "straight up talc" yes, the bad stuff Wink

I got the drivers side all together but the pass side is destroyed.

I need to know the size of the spring plate cover bolts. Can anyone help with that? Mine are destroyed and the torsion tube is cross threaded.

Just looking for the correct bolt, size, hardness and all. Much appreciated.

-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

I think they are 10M x 1.5 standard thread bolts, but am not sure, could be a step finer. They are likely a grade 8.8 but they could be a grade 10.9, should be easy enough to check what you have.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

they are weird. I sold my last set. Someone may have a set for sale in classifieds.
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I think they are 10M x 1.5 standard thread bolts, but am not sure, could be a step finer. They are likely a grade 8.8 but they could be a grade 10.9, should be easy enough to check what you have.

I guess I could take one off the driver's side to figure it out. The others on pass side are garbage now. I will never do that method of getting the spring plate to go into the bushing. C-clamp worked wonders and went smoothly with no issues.

Thanks

-Men at Work
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

they are part number N 010 253 7 and are 10mm X 22 mm but you'll need to check the pitch. You'll need a tap or make one from a bolt to rethread. It is easy to cross thread them with new donuts. As others have suggested, use a pair of longer bolts to start them. If your local hardware has bolts that size and pitch make sure the hardness on the top of the hex is the same.
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
they are part number N 010 253 7 and are 10mm X 22 mm but you'll need to check the pitch. You'll need a tap or make one from a bolt to rethread. It is easy to cross thread them with new donuts. As others have suggested, use a pair of longer bolts to start them. If your local hardware has bolts that size and pitch make sure the hardness on the top of the hex is the same.

Thank you, thank you Smile

-Men at Work
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

Standard 1.5 pitch; I was able to get longer bolts at my local Ace a half decade ago when I learned to do this. I keep them around, and I always forget why I have them when it comes time to organize my bolt box... I've dug them out of the trash more than once after remembering.... Laughing

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

As you may have seen, I did mine two days in a row, because I wasn't happy with the height the first time.

The first time, the rubber went in fairly easily. In the time overnight, it already took a set a little bit. So the second time, I had a very hard time getting things lined up.

So I found 3 longer bolts that fit the thread size. I used those to pull the covers in, and once it was in I installed one of the four factory bolts, then replaced each of the long bolts with factory ones, one at a time.

Even thought the factory bolts have the notches, I don't think they are really special.

I don't recall the size, but the threads aren't anything special. For mine, I just found 3 in my jug-o-random bolts.

I think you could take one of the original bolts in to a store and ask for some matching bolts and run a tap through them. Or you could get the next size larger and run a tap through to open the threads larger.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

I was able to re-tap/clean out the threads and I found some stainless M10-1.50 x 40mm bolts to put in. I torqued them down and everything seems to be fine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Men at Work
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

Smurf wrote:
I was able to re-tap/clean out the threads and I found some stainless M10-1.50 x 40mm bolts to put in. I torqued them down and everything seems to be fine.

I do not recommend using stainless fasteners into a steel chassis. Galvanic corrosion is a nasty thing, spurring from the tiny potential electrical differences in the metals. I use quite a bit of anti-seize on those bolts with the factory steel fasteners, I hope you used a sloppy helping of it when installing the stainless, or you won't be able to get them out soon. In the cabin for trim items like screws and face plates I wouldn't complain, but this area is right in the middle of all the road splash, adding fuel to your metaphorical fire.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Standard 1.5 pitch; I was able to get longer bolts at my local Ace a half decade ago when I learned to do this. I keep them around, and I always forget why I have them when it comes time to organize my bolt box... I've dug them out of the trash more than once after remembering.... Laughing

Robbie

I posted this before, but you don't need longer bolts or a c-clamp.

Just start assembling with the outer bushing missing. Then the bolts are long enough to get the cover plate on and push the spring plate in.

The take the cover off again and put the bushing in and torque the cover down.
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

I posted this before, but you don't need longer bolts or a c-clamp.

Just start assembling with the outer bushing missing. Then the bolts are long enough to get the cover plate on and push the spring plate in.

The take the cover off again and put the bushing in and torque the cover down.

This method might have worked for you but for me this was the worst method. This is what caused my bolts to get cross threaded. I thought I was tightening the spring plate on and really I was just cross threading the bolts. C-Clamp worked like butter.

I didn't think about the stainless. I'll replace them with steel.

Bolt size is 8.8 hardened 10m-1.50

-Men at Work
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

Smurf wrote:
This is what caused my bolts to get cross threaded.

No, cross-threading the bolts and continuing to crank down on them caused your problems. Sorry you had these issues, but others have done this job many times without ruining the bolts or the hole threads.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

I wish in Auto class they would have lined up a bunch of fasteners and had me strip em, cross thread em and snap then off.
Would have saved me a lot of money and aggravation.
Just a thought
Tcahs
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I wish in Auto class they would have lined up a bunch of fasteners and had me strip em, cross thread em and snap then off.
Just a thought
Tcahs

I started to cross thread one of mine putting it on the second time in 2009. Got too confident and hurried. I'm with TCash on this one. Bought a book once to learn to juggle. First lesson: "hold the juggling bags and drop them. Do it again and again until you are comfortable with it because you'll be doing it a lot..." .
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Just a thought
Tcahs

I started to cross thread one of mine putting it on the second time in 2009. Got too confident and hurried. I'm with TCash on this one. Bought a book once to learn to juggle. First lesson: "hold the juggling bags and drop them. Do it again and again until you are comfortable with it because you'll be doing it a lot..." .

Until you get the feel of it!
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Spring Plate Angle/Torsion Bar Adjustment (Pics Added) Reply with quote

Smurf wrote:

This method might have worked for you but for me this was the worst method. This is what caused my bolts to get cross threaded.

Sorry this happened to you but I don't think the technique is to blame. Done correctly the bolts can be started by hand without any load on them and you should be able to tell that they are started correctly and not cross-threaded.

Not to sound high and mighty though, I've cross-threaded bolts aplenty. Sucks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 16

Jump to: