Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Transmission Reverse Light Question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Reverse Light Question Reply with quote

I'd like to rebuild the one i've got first before ordering one from europe/bus depot. nothing against that and in the near future I will probably do that but to start with i'd like to see what I can do with what I have.

"Growing older, but not up!"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Reverse Light Question Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
I'd like to rebuild the one i've got first before ordering one from europe/bus depot. nothing against that and in the near future I will probably do that but to start with i'd like to see what I can do with what I have.

let's say you fix it and six months later and the fix fails. You decide to get one and it is NLA. Gonna hurt. Been there and seen that too many times lately. If you are going to flip the car that is even more the reason to fix it properly. Good luck. There are good used parts available too.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Reverse Light Question Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
I will do some more testing hopefully soon. Any ideas on how to get the neutral contact off the gear selector so I can attempt to rebuild it? Does it just slide up and off the shifter?

I would just pull the springs out and push the brass contact in all the way and remove it through the opening at the top.

Tcash
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Reverse Light Question Reply with quote

I'm not going to be flipping the bus and I was just wondering if I could do an intermediary fix until I can afford to replace the part. Tcash that's kinda what I was thinking as well just wanted someone else's viewpoint.

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Reverse Light Question Reply with quote

The parts are still available

Carrier (white plastic part) 311 927 147 B

Contacts (black plastic spring loaded brass contact) 171 927 145 A

Or, you could try soldering the brass contact while still on the shifter but,
if it gets too hot it will be < Fubar >

if i remember correctly the contact takes about 2 hours to do.
and that was on Porsche 924

Chris
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Reverse Light Question Reply with quote

the contact switch points part #171 927 145 A is the incorrect part for the bus it fits vanagons and up. It is just a slight difference but enough.

kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Reverse Light Question Reply with quote

I have corrected the reverse light problems with a bit of solder on the contact metal spring bar. Once I had done that putting the thing back in is a pain with the two springs so if you need to do this try everything you can to not pull that out. I'll have pics posted this evening. Thanks to everyone that has helped me on this journey.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: