Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Levon the 66 Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

So I've been meaning to start a thread for Levon... the production date seems like a good time to start it. Happy 50th bday!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I flew out and got the bus several weeks ago and had it shipped to Austin, Tx. Upon arrival my buddy helped me clean out all the parts lodged inside.. Came with most the westy interior and a fair amount of extra parts.. some deluxe bumpers, bay seats, along with some bay westy stuff. I'm missing the ice box and spice rack but have all the other bigger westy pieces.

This is my third westfalia but my other two were bays. My first car was a 76, then I had a 70 as a daily for several years until I was rear ended at a light! Sad

But moving forward and happy to have Levon. Very Happy Since it got to Tejas I have been pretty busy but had time last weekend to pull the motor. Unfortunately the trans has a crack.. hoping that can be fixed but not getting my hopes up.

Anyways looking for some advice. Need to focus on body work in the mean time but thinking maybe a higher 'freeway' geared trans with a little bit bigger motor and keeping the rgbs. I plan to use this baby and it will get to see some long trips so I'm playing around with that setup in mind. Definitely interested in others opinions of what they would do...
I want to learn to do body work but don't think this project is the right one for me to butcher.. so I will do everything else I can myself and get everything prepped/ordered while I have someone take care of the body. there is some work to be done; so we shall see.

Progress to come!
71 Deluxe Bay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

Looks like a nice bus! Good to find one with most of the cabinets intact too. Those parts can be pricey.. I've been piecing together a 67' Westy for a couple years now, still need the jumpseat and the spice rack also. Can you post a picture of the m-code plate?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

Weird place for a crack; how far forward does it extend? Looks to be from a floor jack. It might be ok to leave it.
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Looks like a nice bus! Good to find one with most of the cabinets intact too. Those parts can be pricey.. I've been piecing together a 67' Westy for a couple years now, still need the jumpseat and the spice rack also. Can you post a picture of the m-code plate?

Thanks! Yeah I knew split westy stuff was hard to come by but its even more difficult than I anticipated...

Sure, I have a pic that I can load.. here is a link for now.
http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-32328.htm

BarryL wrote:
Weird place for a crack; how far forward does it extend? Looks to be from a floor jack. It might be ok to leave it.

I poked around and it looks limited to what you see here but it is pretty dirty with grime. I will clean it up this weekend and try to get a better look. I forgot to mention that the upper left motor/transaxle bolt was MISSING. I figure that was the reason for the crack but a jack definitely seems plausible too... good call.
71 Deluxe Bay
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

what does it say on the back? "seemed like a good idea at the time"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

hah, yeahhhh. "restoring an old bus seemed like a good idea at the time..."

it was already there when I got it. Rolling Eyes
hopefully I won't ever have that opinion of this bus.

71 Deluxe Bay
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

Col_Forbin wrote:
oakman wrote:

Thanks! Yeah I knew split westy stuff was hard to come by but its even more difficult than I anticipated...

Sure, I have a pic that I can load.. here is a link for now.
http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-32328.htm

Thanks for the m-code info! I've become a westy nerd!! Tourist Delivery, that's neat. The white steering wheel, shifter & shift knob and white paint in the cargo area (if original) are clues that it isn't an average U.S. export Westy.
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Thanks for the m-code info! I've become a westy nerd!! Tourist Delivery, that's neat. The white steering wheel, shifter & shift knob and white paint in the cargo area (if original) are clues that it isn't an average U.S. export Westy.

Yeah, I'm pumped it's a tourist delivery! Very Happy that's pretty neat. I thought all westys had their paint color in the cargo area?... but I'm much more familiar with the differences in a bay. I have been stalking the split westy threads for a couple months but still have a lot to learn! I will have to look into the white steering wheel/shifter/knob you mentioned too; didn't know that either Embarassed
71 Deluxe Bay
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

I'm sure when Greg, Clara and Lind see this thread- they'll politely correct me if I'm wrong... Cool

But the white paint inside I think indicates this was truly destined from early in it's production to be sent to Westfalia for conversion. It would have been painted white inside at Westfalia. If it were a kombi- sold at a dealership and then converted at Westfalia- you'd have the gray paint as applied by VW. The dove blue inside my regular NJ-delivered '65 camper is a little off from that of my buddy's '65 kombi. If I liberate his ashtray or block off plate- the heist is obvious- as the dove blue shades are way off on each other's dashes. My cab is all OG with off white wheel, column and knobs- but again, it's a '65.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

It looks like you have a solid bus there, congratulations! It's cool to have the icebox but honestly they get in the way, I keep mine inside my house most of the time.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

Looks like a standard tourist delivery SO42 like mine. Painted Pearl White inside and out by VW and then sent to Westfalia for conversion. Mine also has a white steering wheel/shifter/shift knob.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

Your bus looks great! Glad you finally found one that you like.
Looks like we have four split bus builds going on here, all in the Austin area.
I hope you'll have yours on the road for the Harvest Show in Oct. That is one of my goals.
Contact me if you need some help or are looking for parts.

Greg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:

Greg

There are 8 splits being built in Austin that I know of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
silkvw wrote:

Greg

There are 8 splits being built in Austin that I know of.

Eight!
Guess I'm out of touch.

Do they all know about the Dec. Big Bend Trip?

zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

This is the 4th to show up on here recently, who's doing the other 4, and what are they?
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
This is the 4th to show up on here recently, who's doing the other 4, and what are they?

Matt (longboardluv) knows them all. I know Conrad has been working on his since I met him in 2001.

zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

The other 4 are splits as well?
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
Yes there are us four that are on here with 4 or 5 others that I know of here in Austin with Splits they are working on. Some are a little more actively working on them than others. But we should have at least 4-5 on the road by the end of the year!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
I know Conrad has been working on his since I met him in 2001.

15 years, wow
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Levon the 66 Westy Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:
zozo wrote:
Yes there are us four that are on here with 4 or 5 others that I know of here in Austin with Splits they are working on. Some are a little more actively working on them than others. But we should have at least 4-5 on the road by the end of the year!

Glad to hear it, and look forward to seeing them.

I don't keep a lot of stuff laying around, but if I can help with odds and ends, let me know. Sometimes it's the most absurd little part that derails progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: