Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oh no - something blew up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

I suggest getting the bugme video on engine rebuild, it's a good start to tell you if doing it yourself is even something you want to tackle.
rob_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
I suggest getting the bugme video on engine rebuild, it's a good start to tell you if doing it yourself is even something you want to tackle.

Thank you. Today I order the book by Tom Wilson titled "how to rebuild your Volkswagen air cooled engine".
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

Just an FYI. I see that your oil temp sender is mounted in the oil sump plate. My experience (checking actual oil temps with a cooking thermometer) shows this location to read about 30*F lower than the actual temp of the oil in the sump. Your 260* oil temp could have been closer to 290*. Crying or Very sad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

rob_engineer wrote:
MConstable wrote:

Thank you. Today I order the book by Tom Wilson titled "how to rebuild your Volkswagen air cooled engine".

That's a good book with lots of photos of what you're doing.

Based on the fact that the motor won't turn over at all pull it out and tear it down. Even if you don't feel like jumping in all the way and doing the rebuild yourself you can learn a lot about how these things work by methodically taking one apart.
The worst that can happen (provided you don't go really crazy and break anything) is you take it apart and bring it all to a VW guy who can see if there's anything usable from it to do a rebuild with.

Also what kind of tools do you have available to you? If you've got a floor jack, some jack stands, set of metric sockets and some screwdrivers you should be able to at least take it apart and visually inspect it. Label everything though the first time around!

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

Grab the Orange Bentley manual too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0837616239/ref=mp_s...+vw+manual

I wish they had just the engine/tranny chapters as a separate manual though, would be handy.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

Rob,

I'll be living in Lakehurst at the end of August for a month or so. If you haven't done anything with it by then, I have the parts to build a 2276 I'm not doing anything with.... We can make something nasty happen. Twisted Evil

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

With you being an aerospace engineer and Tom Wilson's book you'll be golden in no time..that is if you don't mind getting dirty and spending lots of money.

You might also consider this for a general idea of how VWs work, though take much of it's advice with a grain of salt:

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101

Don't let samba assholes get to you. There's a lot of armchair experts here that just love to rag on every little thing people do and especially the new guys.

Good luck!
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

rob_engineer wrote:

Thanks. I'm in a decision phase now of whether I attack this myself or find someone to do it for me. This is my wife's buggy. Her priorities are that the car look good and that it runs reliably. She doesn't really care so much about torque, acceleration, etc. so another part of my decision will be related to what changes I may make.

I don't want to be the bad guy but I'd feel bad either way at this point, so I will be.
based on page one, all that came to mind is that:
Your concept of the buggy, and the reality of the buggy, are very different, and that's the problem.

Why is this unusual?

Any highly customized vehicle, kitcar, buggy, classic car..........what they ARE is a reflection of the person, or persons who built it.
Most who would buy such a vehicle would be aware of this, and already highly motivated to make the car into what they want it to be and have a clear vision of what that is.

THIS buggy in it's present state IS NOT a safe, fun, reliable, or economical vehicle for your wife to drive hundreds of miles in your part of the country.
Anybody that says it is, is not doing you right,
If you ARE NOT interested and highly motivated in making it into what you apparently thought it was, you need to leave it blown up, and sell it.
OR, FIND a person that will make it into what you want, and be aware that it will be expensive.

If you DO want to DO IT, welcome!
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
My posts were not pointed at you directly, but at "engineers" in general. Most of them brag that they are an engineer, have to point out thier credentials and such to attempt to impress you, there have been a few on here. Most of them cannot open a tool box let alone know how to fix anything. I am sorry if you took that personel. Welcome to the Samba

Oh, like charles something or other?

I know an engineering professor that had (has?) a sash weight and pulley setup on a screen door. Sash weight goes up and down on knob side of doorway,.....can't keep from bumping it...there it swings, smashing casing and wall. Laughing
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba Rob! Very Happy Like you I also believe in and use forums for almost all my hobbies. I figure that's it's usually cheaper and easier to read and learn from other people's mistakes here than to make them myself. Also there's SOOO many cool cars, people, and stories on here to read and follow along with! I've also gotten tons of helpful advice and parts from the wonderful guys on here as well. However, you do have to have a rather thick skin on here at times. Also, a good, functioning, and well oiled BS filter is essential! Laughing I dare say, that without this forum, I'd still be staring at my Bug sitting in the corner of my workshop, muttering to myself, "you retard, what have you gotten yourself into now?!?!"

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
rob_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

Its been awhile, but my blown engine has finally been dealt with. I found a shop in Old Bridge, NJ (Lou Hodi). He quickly determined that I melted piston #3 and warped the case. He happened to have a 1776 used motor in his shop and he put that in for me. Thats the good news. The bad news is that he discovered my frame was completely cracked in half where the shortening was done. He welded it back together for me. Only the fiberglass body was holding the two halves of the car together. It took almost a month to get it back, but he did good work and it runs and drives better than it did prior the the engine blowing up. I believe God was protecting me. It took a blown engine to realize that the car was ready to split in half. Now all fixed and back on the road again. Lou also informed me that the engine that blew up was put together with cheap import parts.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

rob_engineer wrote:
Lou also informed me that the engine that blew up was put together with cheap import parts.
Unfortunately, that covers about 95% of what's available these days! Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

So what was all that horseshit about you not hiring some engineer if they didn't work on their own stuff, blah, blah, blah.........

I'm just bullshiitin. ya............glad you got it running again.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
rob_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
So what was all that horseshit about you not hiring some engineer if they didn't work on their own stuff, blah, blah, blah.........

I'm just bullshiitin. ya............glad you got it running again.

Shortly after getting it back, I did discover that the alternator was not working. I did replace that myself. I was a bit nervous when I read that the alternator wAs easier to change if you first remove the engine. Well, I didn't remove the engine and was able to change the alternator myself.
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

rob_engineer wrote:
Its been awhile, but my blown engine has finally been dealt with. I found a shop in Old Bridge, NJ (Lou Hodi). He quickly determined that I melted piston #3 and warped the case. He happened to have a 1776 used motor in his shop and he put that in for me. Thats the good news. The bad news is that he discovered my frame was completely cracked in half where the shortening was done. He welded it back together for me. Only the fiberglass body was holding the two halves of the car together. It took almost a month to get it back, but he did good work and it runs and drives better than it did prior the the engine blowing up. I believe God was protecting me. It took a blown engine to realize that the car was ready to split in half. Now all fixed and back on the road again. Lou also informed me that the engine that blew up was put together with cheap import parts.

Glad you got this all sorted out....Most everything we have available now is "cheap import parts" LOL
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

I've only owned 5 aircooled VW's and none of them were bought in running condition. Looking back, those were great decisions because I never trust a PO engine. It would have to have paperwork to back it up from a pro builder. Learning these engines for yourself is very rewarding and it'll make you much better at diagnosing future problems. The Tom Wilson book is great for a newbie!

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

I have "engineer" in my degree title (Electronic Engineering) but as an "auto technician" I have a long way to go with getting it right.

I got lucky on my 'high oil temperature' (timing wrong, bent and stuck thermostat wire closed flaps) days early on because the engine was so worn out there was less chance of siezing up.

Now I know that one I have also done the leaving the flywheel gland nut loose trick (goodbye flywheel and crank), losing a rocker arm clip and exhaust valve through using swivel feet valve adjusters without a solid rocker arm setup, and other silly mistakes like setting it on fire.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rob_engineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
I have "engineer" in my degree title (Electronic Engineering) but as an "auto technician" I have a long way to go with getting it right.

I got lucky on my 'high oil temperature' (timing wrong, bent and stuck thermostat wire closed flaps) days early on because the engine was so worn out there was less chance of siezing up.

Now I know that one I have also done the leaving the flywheel gland nut loose trick (goodbye flywheel and crank), losing a rocker arm clip and exhaust valve through using swivel feet valve adjusters without a solid rocker arm setup, and other silly mistakes like setting it on fire.

Haha. Reminds me that I once set my wife's car on fire while we were dating. Was old ford fairmont. I was tuning it up for her. Bought a can of carb cleaner, and since I had no other need for the can, I used its entire contents, thoroughly spraying the carb down. Started it up and it ran great - that is until the manifold got hot enough to ignite the pools of carb cleaner laying on top. Luckily it was Labor Day and the neighbor was a plumber, staying home for the holiday. He had a fire extinguisher in his work van. Put out the fire. Replaced melted hoses and plug wires. Back on the road.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

First rule when your in a hole......stop digging. Yall ain't making the case for engineers. Wollered out cranks and flywheels, fires etc. Holy Hell!!!

That's how you learn fellers. Nothing beats a combination of higher education and extensive, practical experience.

I have had, on occasion, the desire to literally stomp a mud hole is some industrial engineer's ass for what I thought was a interestingly stupid design. Mostly having to do with modern automotive design.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oh no - something blew up Reply with quote

Glad you were able to get help and your buggy repaired! I hope you and your wife have a lot of fun with it. Don't sweat the negative engineer comments there are many very smart, experienced, and cool people on thesamba.

Man, I read through this thread and the negative engineer statements are not too cool. IMO, engineers tell you they are engineers because that's what they do for a living and most likely it's part of your job description when you're an engineer. Getting an engineering degree is a lot of work and a serious commitment. I think any time anyone pursues a formal engineering education to earn a degree like this they feel compelled to be identified with it and will tell you so. If people ask me who I am and what type of work I do I tell them as well. I guess, for whatever reason some people feel intimidated by it and shoot their mouth off. If that happens it kind of cracks me up because most of the time they don't understand what goes in to being an engineer, and that's fine.

On the other hand there are engineers that are arrogant know it all's too who have given people a hard time and a negative stereotype of engineers. There are good and bad engineers just like there are good and bad mechanics / technicians or whatever their training / career has qualified them to be. We all should keep that in mind.

Anyway, couldn't resist responding to the negative engineer comments.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: