Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about used transaxle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Question about used transaxle Reply with quote

I'm in the process of putting a freshly rebuilt Rancho transaxle with a 4.12 gear into my Ghia which leaves me with a used and in need of a rebuild stock 71 transaxle which has the 3.88 final gear drive. It needs at the least new bearings on the 4th gear mainshaft - it was very noisy on deceleration in 4th at anything over 55mph. It shifted well and there was no noise in any other gear.

Lots of metal shavings were found on the drain plug - and more in the dregs (used oil) at the bottom. The used oil seems to smell only faintly of gear lube - I'm used to a stronger smell. It has the viscosity of 50w racing oil - the kind I used to run in my old Triumphs and BSA's. 80w-90 should be thicker - maybe thats the cause of the early demise? 120,500 miles. I haven't driven it that hard with the 2110 - it should have lasted longer. FWIW there was almost zero noise from the transaxle when I first got the car.

My question is: Is the used transaxle with a 3.88 rear gear worth $300 or more? Rancho is giving me $250 for my core and I'm paying shipping. They'd have charged me $300 extra for the street pro transaxle with the 3.88 gears - WTF? It seems to be industry standard these days - pay $300 more for the 'freeway flier' and I'm going to hand them one? If its worth more as is to someone I'll put it up in the classifieds. Seems to me they should split the difference and give me $450 for my core. Am I wrong?

Here's the gunk and snot found on the drain plug. I'm not separating it but I can imagine the bottom of the transaxle must be pretty much the same condition. Trans code is AN

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI

Last edited by OLD VW NUT on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will not buy a core for the same price they sell a core for. They have time and labor involved in tearing it apart, inspecting it to see if it is rebuildable, and cleaning it up.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
They will not buy a core for the same price they sell a core for. They have time and labor involved in tearing it apart, inspecting it to see if it is rebuildable, and cleaning it up.

And, some percentage of cores are going to be trashed.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about used transaxle Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
Rancho is giving me $250 for my core and I'm paying shipping. They'd have charged me $300 extra for the street pro transaxle with the 3.88 gears -

You should consider yourself lucky to get $250 for your core. Consider the crap that came out of it. That's why it's very likely that the R&P is junk.
The reason they will charge you $300 more for a 3.88 is because they install a new 3.88 R&P.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but a 71 trans does not have a 3.88 r/p. The price of a good used 3.88 is over 250 when available.
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000158/1001867
The brazilion 3.88's have been unavailable for some time now. Face it, gearboxes are finally gonna start getting expensive.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
tzepesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AN gearbox was one of the finest. I wish I could find one around here for my wife's 64. Don't know the prices, but I think AN gearboxes are not very common. That was the first 3.88 made. Gear ratios are identical to AT gearboxes of the 1303S, the longest made: 3.80 / 2.06 / 1.26 / 0.93 R&P 3.875. I think the AT that could be converted to swingaxle, it has two sideplates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it's worth 80$
I think you better mail it to cali
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but a 71 trans does not have a 3.88 r/p.

1971 and later ghias had a 3.875 R&P with 0.89 fourth. Beetles didn't get the 3.875 R&P until a couple of years later and it only came with a 0.93 fourth.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about used transaxle Reply with quote

I thought I'd update this thread. I sent the old transaxle to Rancho - after inspection I got my $250 core charge back so it must have been in decent shape. The rebuilt transaxle has a 4.12 final drive with a .93 fourth gear. I like the gearing better than the old one - 4th gear doesn't seem so tall now and since I don't drive freeways (closest one is 20 miles away) any highway driving is 60mph - perfect for my needs. The trans feels almost like close ratio gearing. The Rancho transaxle seems to be quite smooth shifting and no more noise from the transaxle.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: