Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

anti theft
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
philippecuru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: anti theft Reply with quote

Hi! what's the best anti theft device to keep my vw bug safe!
thank you for your answers!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

Good question

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

the bright chain keeps amateurs out BEFORE they break the glass or cut the ragtop .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's wrapped around the seat frame .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

rotor button in pocket, unless you run a tach, then tag a grounding switch into its signal wire and hide the switch , this grounds the cold side of the coil and they would have to be rocket scientists or bring a hellicopter to steal it ...fabricator john
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

having a car that does not run works wonders
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

Here In miami you either have garage or your bug is gone ... they find a way ..
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

As far as driving one away you can count on all Millennials will not steal then as they do not know how to drive a stick shift. So that narrows down whom will want to steal it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
As far as driving one away you can count on all Millennials will not steal then as they do not know how to drive a stick shift. So that narrows down whom will want to steal it.

That and it doesn't have AC Laughing

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghosttowncs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

^^^ Ha! Laughing

"So you have to wind the window up and down, BY HAND?!"
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

get a shift lock

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

And a Club. Won't stop a pro, but maybe it will discourage joy riders.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:

There is an article on the internet on how to break ths club with a two foot piece of iron pipe

JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

Pretty much if they want it, they'll get it. Obviously a good idea to make it more difficult or slow them down. I have a GPS that is mounted under the carpet in my trunk. If the car is moved from a defined area. (like my garage) .. the service will call my cell phone, text me, and email me. I can then track it on a map on my computer or app on my phone. It uses 4G service. It does cost me $12/ month, but well worth my piece of mind...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

A set of Police license plates

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

There is an article on the internet on how to break the club with a two foot piece of iron pipe

My Beetle is my toy, not my daily driver, so while I put the Club on it, I never leave it alone for more than a few minutes, and I leave it where I can see it. Just one of the sad facts of life when you own something nice.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

I use a newer twin hook club to secure my oval that I use as a daily driver. Th old Bug is far from perfect but it get plenty of attention and that makes me a little concerned when I leave it parked.

If I'm really concerned about theft I also have been known to take the rotor with me. They have to unlock the deck lid before they can even address that, if they understand what the problem is (and where to get that rotor.)

I have been scheming a radio power cut-off system based on industrial remote control hardware. It would cut power between the starter and the generator so there would be no power in the front of the car or the engine compartment to hot wire with. Since I wouldn't be using any normal auto or home security hardware or protocols it would be very difficult to hack into (plus, I can adjust the transmit power so it would barely escape the passenger compartment of the Bug.)

We do have to remember that our cars, while valuable to us, are really not that valuable in the larger world of autos. Perhaps my Bug is worth $10k -- most late model used cars are worth more.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
the bright chain keeps amateurs out BEFORE they break the glass or cut the ragtop .

It's wrapped around the seat frame .

But that lock is a 2 second snap off with bolt cutters or 30 seconds with a Dremel.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

That lock is hardened and is a bitch to cut, but a hacksaw will go through the steering wheel like hot butter.

If they want to steal it, they will either get it or destroy stuff trying.

Best Buy sells trackers for $25.00 called The Tile. It is very small, and can be hidden very easily. It is battery powered and the battery can be replaced and they claim it lasts a year between changes.

You link it to your smart phone and there is no monthly fee that i can see, i have not bought one yet, my anti-theft is a non-op car, so check it out for confirmation on no service fee.

It has a GPS tracking ability that shows real time on a map the coordinates of the tracking tile, it will alert when it moves and can alert you if you get too far away from it, useful for small expensive items like laptops and kids.

It wont keep someone from stealing your car but it will make an inexpensive option in the recovering of your car and possible prosecution of the dirt bag who stole it.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

I'd be curious to see how well The Tile performs. There are several GPS trackers out there that generally range from $200-$400. If it can't transmit a significant signal thru a steel car body and/or garage it won't be of much use. The better ones are designed specifically for the use with vehicles, connect to battery power and have a battery backup if power is lost
slagathor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: anti theft Reply with quote

my theft prevention includes the following:

battery cut off switch - which i still have to hook up. its hidden and only i know where it is.

put the car in first gear and turn the steering wheel until it locks into place. im still working on my bug and its parked in a car port. even if they could squeeze under the car and cut the emergency brake cables, they will never be able to roll it back wards because it is first gear. and if they are able to push it backwards, it would turn to the right....right into my neighbors car.

the last thing i do is i pull the distributor rotor out. if they manage to bypass everything, they wont be able to start it unless they carry around a spare rotor.

also my area has a security guard that drives through the complex every 5 to 10 minutes all night long. so some one is always watching
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: