Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have You tried any of the current H3 LED offerings,your results?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Have You tried any of the current H3 LED offerings,your results? Reply with quote

I am so happy and amazed by my 37watt LED strips, I want to try some LED bulb replacements in my square high beams. has anyone found a good drop in unit for the inner square lamps.... with good output. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652838&highlight=sa+light+bar

Last edited by goffoz on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

no, and no one ever will either

not until an LED is made that replicates the bulb filament itself in size, shape & position -- it has to match the reflector design to work

if you want LEDs you need to replace everything with a complete light unit made one of the 2 or 3 manfs. who make decent ones
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

not until an LED is made that replicates the bulb filament itself in size, shape & position -- it has to match the reflector design to work

I've found at least 20units available right now, that match your requirements,
..remember this is high beam only.
I was just trying to thin the choices,maybe weed out the junk.
we know its out there Rolling Eyes
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

I have a pair of these installed and am very happy with them. Bright at night, great for daytime running lights. They seem to work really well with my H4 housings.

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/808-H4-9003-High-Output-LED-Bulbs-6000k-Twin-Pack.aspx
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I have a pair of these installed and am very happy with them. Bright at night, great for daytime running lights. They seem to work really well with my H4 housings.

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/808-H4-9003-High-Output-LED-Bulbs-6000k-Twin-Pack.aspx

Are these Lo/Hi beam bulbs or are they just Lo beam and your H3's operate alone as the Hi's?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:

How's that working in regards to their statement" sharp cut line to reduce glare'?
The lens design dictates where the light goes by it's design. How does it look to you? Do you see a sharp cut line since the USA DOT lenses are throwing 20% of the light upwards for roadway sign illumination?

Not knocking your choice or buying them, but curious about the performance.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:

Yikes 300 Bucks for a pair of bulbs, no thanks. I rather drive with a seeing eye dog as my guide at night!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
Merian wrote:

I have only seen 2 or 3 - you realize the LED cannot be as small as a bulb filament??

otherwise, you would have to design a completely differently shaped reflector

it is NOT adequate to simply have a "real bright light"
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Corwyn wrote:

Yikes 300 Bucks for a pair of bulbs, no thanks. I rather drive with a seeing eye dog as my guide at night!

No you wouldn't...... Believe me.

I've gathered together everything needed for this mod, now I just need some time to do it!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583876&highlight=hella

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Corwyn wrote:

No you wouldn't...... Believe me.

I've gathered together everything needed for this mod, now I just need some time to do it!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583876&highlight=hella

Dave

well I will try them, but you will have to supply the three Franklins for purchase of them. Just the sales tax on them is more than the cost for regular bulbs. I hope the gain is worth it, I don't believe it would be for my budget however.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
goffoz wrote:
Merian wrote:

I have only seen 2 or 3 - you realize the LED cannot be as small as a bulb filament??

Hmm?...physically they are the same size, and the LED is in the same location as the filament
So it seems that you are saying, a H3 LED unit designed to work in a headlight built for using H3 halogens.. won't work Eh? ....Why?

Here is one ..there are dozens on Amazon..take a look
https://www.amazon.com/Hoshi-LED-Headlight-H3-reli...W96JVQN8AY
Really... I'm just interested in someones real life experience with a known product...not all the 2nd hand opinions
Trying to make a good choice, then I'll share the results so others can benefit,maybe improve
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

I have tested about 20 different H4, H3 and H1 drop in LEDs in various headlights and driving lights over the past few years. In every case, the drop in LEDs have produced more glare and don't project nearly as far down the road as a decent 55W +50 filament bulb. Based on my experience, the "6,000K True White" bulb is more likely to be a sterile, blueish white that is very unpleasant to the eye.

It's really sad to see that a once respected (well, somewhat respected in some circles) company like PIAA has decided that selling illegal LED conversion bulbs for ridiculous prices is a good business model.

Since the high beams are only going to be used when there is no other traffic present, the risk of endangering anyone else is fairly minimal. I won't go so far as to say that you shouldn't try them out, but I would definitely expect to be underwhelmed with the results.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
Merian wrote:
goffoz wrote:
Merian wrote:

Hmm?...physically they are the same size, and the LED is in the same location as the filament
So it seems that you are saying, a H3 LED unit designed to work in a headlight built for using H3 halogens.. won't work Eh? ....Why?

Here is one ..there are dozens on Amazon..take a look
https://www.amazon.com/Hoshi-LED-Headlight-H3-reli...W96JVQN8AY
Really... I'm just interested in someones real life experience with a known product...not all the 2nd hand opinions
Trying to make a good choice, then I'll share the results so others can benefit,maybe improve

Lense and reflector design is very complicated, the subject included computer modeling, and many patents have been issued for it. It requires a good deal of knowledge of optics to make a high quality system. incandesent bulbs have avery different type of light source than an led bulb. for incandesnt bulbs to work optimally with a given system of lense and reflector, there has to be very tight control on the filiment shape and placement inside the bulb if the filiment is off in placement a millimeter the light output of the headlight is compromised.

the led bulbs are completely differnt than the incandesent bulbs as far as shape of the light source and hence the output.

an incandesent lamp has a fine filiment often in a coil, and it radiates from all of its surfaces. this is different than an led chip, which is a flat surface, that does not emitt light all the way around it. leds do not have the same flux level per area as a a white hot glowing filiment does.

the physics of the light rays requires that the a different reflector and or lense be designed for optimal beam pattern.

yes you can put an led bulb in a standard incandesent lamp, but it wont give the same results, as the slurce of the light is totally different.

Phd papers have been written on the subject, it is a complex subject, but what we need to know is that an led buld can not be a direct replacement for an incandesent bulb using the same reflector or lense becuase the shape of the light source is not the same.

thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

A perfect example of the impact of filament placement can be found in any old school Maglite flashlight. The travel of the reflector fore and aft around the bulb takes the beam pattern from flood to spot within a fairly small amount of linear travel. With this in mind, it is easy to infer how changing the light source inside a reflector headlight designed for a filament bulb can have a massive effect on the resulting beam pattern.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

lasers people, lasers...
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
A perfect example of the impact of filament placement can be found in any old school Maglite flashlight. The travel of the reflector fore and aft around the bulb takes the beam pattern from flood to spot within a fairly small amount of linear travel. With this in mind, it is easy to infer how changing the light source inside a reflector headlight designed for a filament bulb can have a massive effect on the resulting beam pattern.

Good to hear from you Jay,
I have a question...since the halogen emits light 360 on a linear filament,
isn't 50% of the light wasted?.
The LEDS emit light straight up and straight down, completely relying on reflected light from the back of the housing,
would not this be the reflector only...assuming I can get a LED in the sweet spot?

Interesting that You mentioned the mag light...I have a 20 yr old cop mag light
rechargable,
I recently upgraded the batteries to Li. and the bulb to LED.
...the amount of light available is amazing...far superior to the original bulb, and greater time on the light.
Maybe its the variable focus of the maglight ?
just my experince with these products
I'd like to find a similar experince with my Ecode square high beam lenses
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
lasers people, lasers...

Yeah thats really helpfull, any usefull content? Rolling Eyes
Be proud
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

yes you can put an led bulb in a standard incandesent lamp, but it wont give the same results, as the slurce of the light is totally different.

I don't want it to be the same...I want it to be different/maybe better, more useful.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
Merian wrote:
lasers people, lasers...

Yeah thats really helpfull, any usefull content? Rolling Eyes
Be proud

start looking for wrecked BMWs in a few years - pull the headlights off and there you go
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone tried H3 LED bulbs for the square high beams? Reply with quote

On low beam, a traditional incandescent light bulb uses a small metal "mask" to prevent stray light going straight forward out of the lense. The remaining light output hits the reflector and is aimed out at the road to strike where the reflector designer intended. The designer modeled this after the single point in space where the incandescent filament is - a point known as the "focal point" upon which the entire light housing rests.

An LED emitter is a directional light emitter, and there is not enough room at this focal point to put enough of them to duplicate the output of an incandescent filament's intensity, or light output. So the LED makers put them all around the focal point and add up all the output of the individual emitters to claim that they are somehow equal. They are not. Many of the LEDs are so far from the focal point that their reflected output is just a vague blob down the road, but when you look into the lense of the light assembly, there is an impressive but blinding amount of glare.

A lamp that was designed from the beginning to house an LED light source is designed around the LED's particular needs as to angles, etc.

The two are completely different and putting the light source of an incandescent bulb into an LED lamp would produce similar poor results.

The LED's are getting better, but as replacement in headlamps for an incandescent lamp, there are physical challenges they cannot currently meet.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: