Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Westy - first bus
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Hello my name is Jon Schwinger and I just picked up this Westfalia built in June 1972 in the Lancaster, PA area. Its originally from Brooklyn, NY and is in excellent original condition, aside from 1 respray in the early 90s. It came with all of the original keys, owners manual, owners card, and the original tool roll. This is my first bus even though I have had a handful of aircooleds over the years.

The purpose of this bus is camping and fun, plain and simple. I have a 5 year old daughter, and a 7 year old son so I hope to go out on my first trip in the next couple of months.

This will not be a restoration, just a mechanical rejuvenation and weld up any significant areas that need love. Just wanted to share, as I will have a lot of questions along the way. Thanks for looking.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So far we have about 6 hours of just straight cleaning and vacuuming. My son has been a huge help. His dream car is actually a bay westy, awesome.

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

I have had this front VW emblem since I was 16, and I recently turned 40, its been on walls in college, first apartments, and on display in my office at home. Finally it found a home since this bus was missing one. As crazy as it may sound its things like that which confirm this will be a great bus.

The 1.7L is seized. I decided I should just pull it to get a better look. I think I am going to build it out to a 2.0L, but I am not really sure.

I hooked up a battery and everything works - exterior lights, horn, wipers, even the radio! Never in all the aircooleds I have owned has this happened haha.

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Sweet! I have one just like it. When you are ready for a straight 72 one year only bumper let me know. I know where to find a couple if you can't find local.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Congrats!!! It's going to be a fun journey.

As everyone here is going to tell you....

Change ALL those gas lines
Check to make sure your tires are rated for that bus.

Looks like a pretty solid bus otherwise!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

zoobum wrote:
Congrats!!! It's going to be a fun journey.

As everyone here is going to tell you....

Change ALL those gas lines
Check to make sure your tires are rated for that bus.

Looks like a pretty solid bus otherwise!!!

Oh yeah I feel like I only get 1 year out of the lines on my other aircooleds. For sure! And yes I will get LT tires. I want a 3/4" white wall so I may need to hunt around.

Thanks!
j10nbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Very cool! I think I remember seeing this bus on CL a few weeks back and thought it looked like a pretty clean and original bus. Glad it went to a good home. Looking forward to the progress!
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Sweet! I have one just like it. When you are ready for a straight 72 one year only bumper let me know. I know where to find a couple if you can't find local.

As luck would have it, I had just purchased this bumper 3 months ago. I was going to modify it for my 66 single cab, but its meant to be on this bus. Matching patina!

And then I randomly found this beer in the beer fridge from my 40th bday party a month ago haha
Taste pretty bad, but what are the odds.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Welcome to the bay forms. It looks like a nice foundation to build on. It doesn't look too rusty for a NE bus either though you should get a plan in place to start addressing the rust issues on it sooner than later. My 70' is a SW USA bus. In a few spots I had some "surface" rust. When I went to remove and treat it, it was not just on the surface. I learned that it can look like harmless surface rust but in fact, it's eating deeper and deeper in the metal.

I hope you update your thread as you go through its mechanical rejuvenation. If you're a veteran air cooled guy, you'll know the original VW parts that can be restored are vastly better than any of the chinese replacement parts sold today.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

1972 Bay one year only list
The '72 only photos thread

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:

And then I randomly found this beer in the beer fridge from my 40th bday party a month ago haha
Taste pretty bad, but what are the odds.

And there's even a thread for Beers and Bays Wink Cheers! You forgot one Tcash Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...74110c2de5

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the Bay forum! That looks to be a nice surviving bus, without too much PO tinkering... (Though the Surly sticker.. yours?? Buses and LHT's practically go together...)

I want to play devil's advocate with your future engine choices. The 1700 engine has a lighter rotating mass than the 2-liter, AND the 1.7 has a shorter crankshaft throw. This all adds up to an engine that is happy to rev higher and faster for longer periods of time than the 2-liter. Volkswagen exploited this, because the transaxle gear ratios in the '72-'73 bus transaxles are matched to the higher rpm range of the 1700 engine. The later bus transaxles mated to the 2-liter engines take advantage of the larger engine's higher torque output, but the "Porsche-style" high revving system was lost. So I would definitely consider the "system" as a whole, not just the numbers game of power output measuring. I personally would take a well-balanced 1700 at 4,200 rpm all day long over a 2-liter that is never going to be as smooth so high in the RPM range as it simultaneously consumes more fuel than the 1700. Razz

Enjoy your "everything works" electrical system. Some of us take years to get there! But it really is a treat when you can honk at other air-cooled cars on the road! Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Badass bus. Ol' Yeller.

Keep up with the good work & updates!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

I love it, congratulations.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Nice bus! Keep the pics coming.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Great looking bus! Hope you get it on the road quick, those kids want to go camping! Very Happy
You going to replace the canvas tent?
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Millennium Falcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I personally would take a well-balanced 1700 at 4,200 rpm all day long over a 2-liter that is never going to be as smooth so high in the RPM range as it simultaneously consumes more fuel than the 1700.
Robbie

I have to agree with the above 100%.. A 1700 is a great running engine. And it is already mated to the proper transmission, as well as properly jetted dual carbs. If you stay with a 1700 you will also save yourself from having to get the engine case machined to accept 2l cylinders, not to mention other internals. However, if you happen to come across a good deal on solid 1800 heads, cylinders, and pistons you could go that way as well...nothing wrong with that set up either. I am just a bit biased for a 1700.
All the best.

1972 White Campmobile
1700 cc Type IV
Dual Solex 34 PDSIT2/3
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

I too agree with everyone else about the engine choice ! Stay with the 1700 or up grade to the 1800 if you have the chance to. I also have a 72 for about 18 years , I run a 1800 and have been very happy with my motor / trans (stock) combination ! As far as your rear bumper , is it a 72 bumper ? They are a one year only ! If it isn't don't redrill it pass it on and get one for a 72, also the dust pans are one year only also !
By the way NICE Bus !
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Great feedback guys, and I really appreciate all of the intel. I like the idea of building the engine bigger even though I am usually a stock guy. Do they even sell 1800 rebuild kits? I guess I had assumed I HAD to go 2.0 due to no one making pistons/cylinders etc. for 1700/1800.

Can anyone provide any links to a 1700 or 1800 rebuild kit or maybe a vendor you may recommend?

Also the bumper, it might not be a 72 I will have to look into that one. The brackets look the same to me, there is a slim chance I got lucky here. What makes the 72 a one year only? Is it just how it mounts to the corners since they are unique being the first year for a fixed apron?
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

You can buy AMC 1800 heads right here off the Samba. I think I got my sleeves ,pistons and rings from Wolfsburg West or CIP1 has them. The reason the 72 bumper is different is because the frame is wider than a 71 down and it was the last year for the early style bumpers.
VW 66 Doctor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Nice bus good luck with it .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: