Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mellamoPOUND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

Hello! My '83 vanagon with Bostig conversation is currently stranded in Tacoma Wa due to a broken accelerator cable. On road trip from Colorado. All shops are closed until Monday and I'm not sure if any will have the correct cable for this. Does anyone know if I'll need a special cable shipped in for this or if I can possibly get one locally? Thanks in advance!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

mellamoPOUND wrote:
Hello! My '83 vanagon with Bostig conversation is currently stranded in Tacoma Wa due to a broken accelerator cable. On road trip from Colorado. All shops are closed until Monday and I'm not sure if any will have the correct cable for this. Does anyone know if I'll need a special cable shipped in for this or if I can possibly get one locally? Thanks in advance!

maybe you can thread some bailing wire thru the sheathing to get you going? most hardware stores carry this, open 7 days a week hopefully.

I have used bicycle sheathed cable in a custom car, but it probably wont be long enough for the vanagon, unless you can buy it off a spool.

if break is in the right spot, you could crimp a cable (bike cable) or bailing wire to tne original cable maybe to make it long enough. I am thinking an electrical wire crimp. you could also run thin gage electric wire too.

in a real pinch fishing line to your hand could get you going, just pull to go., even dental floss, but double it up or more for added strenth.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

mebbe some info on specifically what cable you need? For instance, I have a brand new Vanagon accelerator cable in the garage.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

Bostig uses a custom cable.

Try splicing a repair in so you can get home.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

Hardware store + MacGyver = "On The Road Again..."

As has been suggested, any combination of cable, wire, etc. that you can rig up to work and get you going. Certainly, order a new Bostig wire now, but MacGyver a solution to get you going again. Good Luck!!

Reading this has prompted be to place 2 small cable clamps and a spare piece of wire in my van...

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
mellamoPOUND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much! I'll give this a shot today and will get the newest version of the cable ordered from Bostig.

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there!

Thanks again.
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

Order two and keep the spare under your seat (along with spare V-belts or serpentine belt in your case).

Every VW bus I have owned the throttle cable has broken at some point. Getting stranded the first time without the part on a Sunday was lesson enough for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

Post a pic. These should rarely be game enders. I drove a bus with flex ties connecting the broken accelerator cable for over a year in the desert (115 plus degrees) until I got energetic enough to replace it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

mellamoPOUND wrote:
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much! I'll give this a shot today and will get the newest version of the cable ordered from Bostig.
Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there!
Thanks again.

Be careful about getting the correct cable, there are a couple different types depending on which version you have. Check with Jim at Bostig if you're not sure which you have.
Depending on where the cable broke it should be possible to repair with bicycle cable parts. Pictures will help. Good luck!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
mellamoPOUND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

Fixed it up temporarily today with some ferrule clamps and extra wire today. Everyone should keep some in their vans! Thanks again everyone - cheers!!
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '83 w/ Bostig - Stranded in Washington Reply with quote

If you are coming through Seattle I have a couple versions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: