Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subarugears Bus Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Time for an update!! Reply with quote

Most of the engine bay work has been completed. All that's left is to plumb in the expansion tank, do something with the vent lines, and connect the throttle cable.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the rad with relocated in/outlets after returning from the TIG welder. I just sliced off the fill cap and used the pre-existing hole.

Here are the duel 12" slim fans that I will be mounting above the rad. Wont be using the zip ties Wink

Made a support bracket

And fitted to the rad

Mounted to the frame rails with bolts with some extra nuts for stand offs.

When using a single center fan you have to worry about the shift rod interfering, with duel fans you have the worry about the parking brake tubes. Pick your battle I guess

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

A bit of the cooling system in case you are curious

There was a big hole here from where the PO ran some flexible exhaust pipe for the BA6, so seemed like a good place to run the return pipe

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Fuel tap-Washable pre filter-Pump

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

And a question for the experts:
I decided to treat the bus to a new directional switch. Everything is identical on the new one with the exception of these 3 extra pins and terminals. Anyone know what they are for?

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Scoop Du Jour Reply with quote

Ahhh plasma cutter, by far the best tool I have bought for this project.

So here is the scoop V1.0 lets see how it works out for me. Hangs 3" below the rad

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Seems like I've read mention that the newer turn signal switches come with the extra wires for the intermittent function. Also, as a part of that, there is a wire that can power a pump.

Nice scoop. I'm hoping to get my scoop V 3 installed soon!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Seems like I've read mention that the newer turn signal switches come with the extra wires for the intermittent function. Also, as a part of that, there is a wire that can power a pump.

I was just reading your post about your broken switch and started to get confused when you started to talk about that. Wouldn't the intermittent "wiper right" be part of the wiper switch and not the signal/directional switch? The extra terminals are in the directional switch not the wiper switch. Confused
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

The stalks' contacts are actually on the opposite side of the column on the late bay switches. So all the contacts for the turn signaling are on the right side of the column, and all the contacts for the wipers are on the left side.

Did you get both sides when you got this setup? I haven't looked into or at the new/repro switches, just repeating what I'd read.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
The stalks' contacts are actually on the opposite side of the column on the late bay switches. So all the contacts for the turn signaling are on the right side of the column, and all the contacts for the wipers are on the left side.

Did you get both sides when you got this setup? I haven't looked into or at the new/repro switches, just repeating what I'd read.

Just got the directional side. I am thinking it might just be to cover multiple years as its advertised to fit 74-79. Maybe one or two of those years has the pins in a different location? Doesn't really matter just thought it odd. Shouldn't effect the functionality
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Figured it was about time I removed my "Air cooled Volkswagen" & "GEX" stickers from the bus. Don't want to false advertise Wink

Made a new set of curtains from a $20 set of Ikea (Now or never) curtains "MARIAM". The green is a really nice match to the sage green of the bus.

Also applied a light tint to cut down on heat and sun damage

Ok now back to the dirty work Razz
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

In less positive news, I had to see what was going on under my head liner. I knew it was going to be bad, but was still surprised by what I found.
A few small stains from someone peeing above my head.

Big mess of seeds turds and probably the insides of my heater tubes Evil or Very Mad

Someone's hungry for delicious copper

Q: This wire runs from the center of my silver socket to the back window defrost element. Is that correct? What is the "silver socket" really called in the wiring diagram, which current track. I can't seem to find it
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Back with another question for the Subi gang:
Hooked up my throttle cable to the stock bus peddle linkage and its not giving me full opening on the throttle body. Is a custom linkage required, maybe something like the "Buttys Bits" linkage? Or do you all just not worry about the last 1/4" of opening on the TB?
Thanks
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

I think Skills was just discussing that on the Butty's Bits thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
I think Skills was just discussing that on the Butty's Bits thread.

Ah ha. Will have to do some measurements and see if that will work in my situation. Thanks
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

2 things:

1) you want WOT

2) there needs to be some slack in the cable. soobaroooz get very angry if the butterfly doesn't close all the way. it makes nippondenso and hitachi very cranky

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
2 things:

1) you want WOT

2) there needs to be some slack in the cable. soobaroooz get very angry if the butterfly doesn't close all the way. it makes nippondenso and hitachi very cranky

Will do. Was also wondering about the slack, thanks. If all these "might as well, since I'm in deep" projects would stop side tracking me, I my just get running before the summers over Laughing
westys74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

ya hurry up i want my ride damn it!
type11969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Considering this subaru tranny swap coupled to a tdi in my bay, the 3.9 final drive ratio option makes this a pretty good path from a gear ratio perspective. Question, how does this change tranny output shaft height/angle? I thought I read it shifted the output shaft height up by 50mm, but I'm guessing I am mis-remembering since it looks like you are using stock CVs/axles. Let me know when you have a moment.

Thanks,

Chris
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
A bit of the cooling system in case you are curious

There was a big hole here from where the PO ran some flexible exhaust pipe for the BA6, so seemed like a good place to run the return pipe

WRT PO and flex pipe:
That was done that way by the FACTORY, I think. I had a 1978 OE with a BA-6, and it had that same rippled bendable stainless steel exhaust going the rear crossmember then seems like it attached to a down turned 90. Drove that car from 1982-92 in the worst winters. The heater boxes went away but the BA-6 was glorious! In Iowa. Kinda like Chicago, but no lake to warm the winter wind.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Have a look at my build thread to see what I did for wot. Not sure if you will need to do the same or not. Has worked fine for three plus years.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: