Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

The adventure begins!

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/vehicles-sale/197...rg-engine/

Drove it last week. Closed the deal yesterday afternoon. Heading to Maine to pick it up on monday, & drive it back to upstate NY.

We couldn't be more thrilled.

Let me begin by saying that Chris @ FAS has been awesome. Great meeting him, & seeing the work their team is doing there.

The bus was a consignment, but Chris & his guys did all of the work & were selling it for the owners. He was super nice & took a lot of time out his day to show me the bus (& some of the other work they do there).

So, now I'm flying out early monday AM, heading to the DMV to get my transfer tags, & then up to FAS to go pick her up.

The engine still needs to be broken in & only has about 100-200mi on it, AFAIK. My plan is to take it slow & enjoy the trip home. I may very well spend my 1st night camping in VT, on my way home.

I've got AAA Gold, & hope that I don't need much more than that - but we'll see. You never know.

Will post pix & update when I get her home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Very nice looking camper. Congratulations.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

great looking bus,

check out Rt25 from Portland, Me thru the central lakes area of NH across to the VT border. awesome VW traveling road.
there's a great VW service in Holderness, NH (hope you don't need anything)
and a great BBQ Yankee Smokehouse near Ossipee, NH
and if in the area castle in the clouds isn't to be missed.
a great little road up to the carriage house and a trolley ride to the mansion.
http://www.castleintheclouds.org/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3 Amigos Racing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Enjoy! I wish my 71 was half as clean as yours 😀
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Nice to see what "looks" like a well done bus! And, I'll say it again, I love early red Westys!
So, does it come with the tent in the pix? They are cumbersome, but pretty cool. I kinda regret selling mine years ago.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Welcome to Bay Windows!

Not that you should need it. But just in case you break down.
Broke down, Rescue, Help, Road Side, Assistance, Information

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Welp, I did it!

- 6:00 am flight out of Syracuse > 10:45am arrival in Portland, ME
- Had my friend's kid pick me up & drive me around for the day, in exchange for gas money & a little extra $ Smile
- quick trip to the DMV, for Transfer Tags, then off to Foreign Auto Supply in Harpswell.

Chris & John were great & got me acquainted with the bus & engine before I hit the road, around 2:00pm.

- pulled over in Freeport to gas up & met my 1st VW fan - some guy who had an identical '71 & told me a bunch of great stories about his touring days Wink

- despite being windy, & a bit busy on the road - she handled well in the chaos & generally kept up with traffic. I didn't push it, but felt fine cruising @ 60mph

- once I hit the Mts of Southern NH, I really started to enjoy the ride. ran into some more VW enthusiasts along the way & even saw a bald eagle just before sunset

other than a bit of backfiring on the deceleration, everything was doing fine...

and then the electrical circuits started acting a little funky Smile

- wipers kept blowing fuses whenever I shut them off
- lost the headlights (but none of the other lights)
- headlights worked IF I pulled up on the turn signal to engage the brights (which I tried for a short while, but ultimately, that quit too). So I had to stop for the night just outside of Troy - about 100mi from home Razz

This AM, at the crack of dawn I got back on the road & was nearly home - when I ran out of gas. Such a rookie move. The gas gauge is a bit sketchy, as it bounces up & down. Apparently, I need to pay attention to the down Wink

Just a minor setback, & a lesson well learned (along with the no 12v outlet lesson!)

Now she's home, & 1st thing I need to do is sort out this voodoo with the loose ground wire (there's a brown wire that comes from the somewhere behind the fuse box & is about 12" long, neatly trimmed) - not sure where it's supposed to go!! Going to try & chase down the other end of it, but it keeps raining here!!

Also - anyone have any luck getting rid of mothball odor? vinegar? steam clean? charcoal? all of the above?

I've tried febreze, some other bomb, & a little ozium. despite any claims of fighting off evil spirits, I need something a bit more tactical.

Last edited by alschnier on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
I got back on the road & was nearly home - when I ran out of gas.

Ah man you missed your chance to pull the gas tank strainer and clean it while the tank was empty. Without getting gas all over you.

Glad you made it home safely
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

You can relate to this one now.

Link
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

I need some help with this headlight / electrical situation.

I flipped the fuse box around & traced the dangling brown wire back to the top of slot #7.

According to the '71 manual, it's not designated for anything (accessory?)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/71bus/page43.jpg

According to Bentley, the top of slot #7 has a yellow wire, which goes to "switch for fan motors" - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_71.jpg

is that an option (as in, for the aux heater or AC)? Or is there a "switch for fan motors" somewhere that I haven't found? it is my 1st time. be gentle Wink

1. some of the fuse values were not quite right - misplaced 16 vs. 8 amp fuses, so I swapped them out for correct values (according to manual & Bentley)
2. I tried simply running the wire to ground, to see if that's all I needed, but the fuse popped.
3. tried taping up the wire & leaving it alone with a fresh fuse - still no headlights.

So...

- anyone run into this? I've searched but still haven't found what I'm looking for...
- could it be related to the bright/dim relay? as I'd mentioned, when lights originally went out, I had some luck by pulling up on the turn signal & holding the switch open. that too eventually quit. now I don't hear it "click" anymore...
- also, I do not have an "open door buzzer", nor a horn (although it also worked 24hrs ago).
- or could it be related to the actual light switch? tried to get a look at it today, but not quite sure how to get at it w/o removing the console

I'd really appreciate any feedback. want to get it registered & inspected in NY asap.

thx
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Quote:
According to Bentley, the top of slot #7 has a yellow wire, which goes to "switch for fan motors" - is that an option?

Yes it is an option for ventilation (ambulance) fans. Which most likely you do not have.

Quote:
2. I tried simply running the wire to ground, to see if that's all I needed, but the fuse popped.

That puppy is hot, It was probably for something the PO previous owner installed and used the wrong colored wire. Remove it while you can.

Quote:
3. tried taping up the wire & leaving it alone with a fresh fuse - still no headlights.

wiring diagrams
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

click on pic

Start with the fuse. Make sure the headlight switch did not pop apart. If it did pop it back together and put a tie wrap around it. Might as well do the E-Switch while you are at it.

Quote:
could it be related to the bright/dim relay?

Sure pull it out and see if it is rusted (leaking windshield seal)
Replace and retest.

Quote:
- also, I do not have an "open door buzzer", nor a horn (although it also worked 24hrs ago).

Strange they are both on separate circuits.
Horn All

Good luck
Tcash
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Well, it's been a year & change. I forgot that I never posted about the fire - which happened last summer, about a day after this last post. I sorted out the headlight situation (it was the relay) & ordered the part.

Meanwhile, I took the bus to run to Fed Ex & it felt funny. It was lagging, backfiring a bit - unresponsive. About 10 minutes into my drive I knew something was up. I checked the rear view mirror & saw black smoke coming out of the air vents. I immediately pulled over & turned off the bus (which kept running). Grabbed my extinguisher, popped the lid & turned it on the flames. The left carb was engulfed in fire & reignited as soon as the extinguisher ran out. A helpful driver pulled over & tossed me another extinguisher. It took (3) to put it out.

I was devastated. I couldn't believe how quickly the most awesome vehicle I've ever owned just went up in flames.

I won't bore you with all of the details, but - after dealing with transport shenanigans, I shipped it back to FAS & they restored the bus. It's been a long year of dealing with insurance companies, & testing everyone's patience. I'm just happy to have it back (& my wife still loves me).

Went back to Maine (this time w/ my wife) & we drove it home for a second time - w/o incident. Camped in Maine w/ our (2) puppies & life is good.

Needless to say, one of the 1st things I ordered was the Blazecut. Wink

Patiently awaiting some shipments from various dealers to start diving into the details. (I'm hoping to address the barrel connector at the end of the heater cable ASAP - it's getting cold already & we're planning on heading to the ADKs this weekend).
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

We're going to update the interior. We're not fans of the tweed (which also still has a mothball odor we can't seem to shake).

I've been combing the forum & google at large for a while to get some ideas, but also to get a handle on the original interior.

VW lists our original interior as "Dark Beige" #69 (along w/ "Burnished Gold" for the rear).

1. Can someone tell me if my door panels are original? I can't seem to find "Dark Beige" anywhere.

VW mixed a lot of odd colors - red, tan, black, yellow. We'd like to keep a traditional look, but maybe tone down the Partridge Family color palette. May even go all black for the vinyl & then just redo curtains, pillows, rugs for a little color.

Has anyone done all black vinyl in their Westy? Any regrets? Seems like a safe neutral option.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

wouldn't running the m-code reveal interior panel color?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that.
Glad you got it fixed.
Good luck
Tcash
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Sorry about your fire. Glad you got it put out!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
You can relate to this one now.

Link

I love this video. Always makes me smile. My favorite line:

"And then there is rust."

"Oh what is rust?"

and so it begins
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Stay humble and optimistic, the woes will be sorted out.
The bus looks great and glad to see you keeping passion into it through the frightening and disheartening experience of an engine fire.
And thank goodness for good people out there willing to help others.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Beautiful camper. Not stock Westy, but I really like the way the p.o. used the wood siding & table tops!

For the mothball smell, you might try an "ozone generator" type of air purifier for a few days, even a week or two. Just a thought: are there maybe still some mothballs left hiding somewhere in the vehicle, continuing to evaporate & provide more of those pernicious paradichlorobenzine fumes?

Before you switch those nifty cloth interior seating surfaces to all vinyl, you might want to think about how uncomfortably sticky that can get on warm, sunny days with longish road trips in a non-air conditioned vehicle. Could that be a reason Westfalia switched from the "mustard"-colored vinyl that was standard in the early bay window campers?

Happy camping.
68 Westy
(+ others)
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1st Bus Adventures: 1971 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Very Happy

This weekend was great: Took our Westy, along w/ our 2 Schnauzers camping in the ADKs for a quick overnighter.

Then spent Sunday working on it:
- installed the Blazecut
- added Beauty Rings (clearly I started w/ the easy stuff)
- then dove into the Heater Cable...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=322553
...which I ultimately sorted out by dinner time
- my awesome wife spent the day deep cleaning the interior

A few things popped up along the way (I'm sensing a trend haha).
1. I was thinking about the comment above, re: M Codes & snapped a pic. Then went to the technical section here, & mine (309) doesn't seem to make the list. Any thoughts?

2. While working on the bus yesterday, I opted for some foam flooring to throw down on the ground, as I spent a lot of time under there yesterday, dealing w/ that heater cable - so much better than the tarp I'd been using & very low profile too.
When I finished, I threw it in the back under the rear mattress pad & will now have it on the road. It also makes a nice additional sound barrier in addition to the extra padding.

3. You'll also notice beneath the foam flooring, I added some commercial grade vinyl runner material. It's very similar to the orig. rubber/vinyl material used up front & makes a great sound barrier. I stored my sleeping bag in the wheel well & now have a nice flat floor in the back too Wink

4. While crawling under the bus, I tend to look at everything & this caught my eye. I'm guessing I should be concerned... Appreciate any input

And thanks for the suggestions re: odor & interior. Love to hear from anyone who has vinyl. Do you hate it? Love it? "Just friends" with it?

Anyone have cork floors?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: