Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

volksrod pa
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: volksrod pa Reply with quote

anybody tell me how I can get a car registered in pa. I was told I need fenders etc but I see some running around. thanks
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: volksrod pa Reply with quote

PA has some of the worst vehicle laws around. Fender, bumper, light & engine covering all have mandates. They did pass a law for Pre 1948 vehicles to titled as "street rods". No fenders, no hood, just have to pass a enhanced inspection. My bug is a 1960, making removable fenders for inspection then taking them off ! Most of the time unless you drive like a idiot around here they leave you alone. Basically going to roll the dice and see what happens !
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: volksrod pa Reply with quote

Shop are around for a "hot rod" friendly inspection station and you may be OK. I have done a little research on this and there are all kinds of rules. An "enhanced" inspection station was mentioned. They are listed on the PA DMV site and you may want to make a call to one of them and see what their take is for your car. I just went through some of this with a new buggy build. Had to fab a removable manual windshield wiper to pass, but everything else was fine. And another thing mentioned was not behaving like an idiot with the car. Great advice. Good luck.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: volksrod pa Reply with quote

Agree on that ! " Hot Rod " friendly is what you want. Luckily I have that in my hometown. The owner has been a huge help. Best thing I did was call him, tell him my ideas for the car. They will point you in the right direction for sure.
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: volksrod pa Reply with quote

Can't stress that enough - When doing anything "different". I'll go the the guy that owns the shop and make sure he is cool with what I have in mind. He may make some suggestions (nothing major) that I may or may not use, but since he knows what I am doing and is good, then there is no problem.

For example, the manual wiper on the buggy. He and I discussed this. Car is titled as a 60 bug - 60 bug had windshield wipers. Didnt say anything about being permanently mounted or electrical. The car owner will use Rainex anyway. BUT I had a clamp on manual wiper sitting on the front seat when it was inspected. He was cool with it.

AND don't EVER take a car to an inspection station without being truly safe and roadworthy. All lights working, good brakes, tires, etc. If they see one thing, they will really scrutinize. The shop I use knows my work. When I bring a new build, he knows everything is new, but that doesnt prevent him from putting one on the lift and really going over it once in a while. And actually he did find something once that I needed to correct. And it was a good thing.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: volksrod pa Reply with quote

Find a friend in Maryland, register it as a hot rod at your "Vacation House"

Maryland will issue a dual title and not take your out of state title. they are glad to take your money.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/About-MVA/INFO/27300/27300-07T.htm

You wouldn't have to get it on the road for PA, but lets just say I know a couple guys that have done this for several years now.

No MD inspections ever, but PA cops can be a PITA if you're driving it a lot in PA. You are close to MD though, so....
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: