Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber issue
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sen2two
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Weber issue Reply with quote

When shutting my fuel pump off to kill the car. The car continues to run until it drains the entire fuel bowl. I have an exrernal fuel bowl sight glass from JayCee and I can watch it drain from there while it's idling with all the power shut down.

It's a single 51mm IDA Weber with a Mallory 140 pump. Mallory 4309 return regulator. Has 4psi while fuel pump is on with car off and 3.5psi with car idling. -6 fuel feed and return.

This is a 12a Rotary engine, but I don't think that makes a difference.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber issue Reply with quote

I can understand turning the fuel pump off but there is still pressure after the pump to the Carb and the float will still allow the fuel to enter the bowl.

If your Ignition is still on to the coil the engine will continue to run until the fuel in the bowl is Kaput (gone) like going Dry.

I have a Turbo 1776 engine with a glass filter between the pressure regulator and the Weber DCOE Carb to verify the pump is working.

The pump is a Facet and my pressure to the Carb is at 2.5 lbs....Webers like that.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber issue Reply with quote

I think you forgot to mention what the problem is.
sen2two
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber issue Reply with quote

I did. Maybe I wasn't clear.

When I shut the car down. It continues to idle for about 20-30 seconds as is draws the fuel from the bowl until it is empty.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber issue Reply with quote

your spark plugs are likely too hot. Try a couple steps colder.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber issue Reply with quote

sen2two wrote:
I did. Maybe I wasn't clear.

When I shut the car down. It continues to idle for about 20-30 seconds as is draws the fuel from the bowl until it is empty.

Idling with ignition off.
That's called dieseling. Dieseling might be a problem or it might not. sometimes they will diesel when there is no actual problem. This is why the majority of carbs have anti-diesel solenoids.
IDA is a racing carb and does not have idle cutoff solenoid, because you don't need one. How do you stop it from dieseling?

Put it in high gear and release the clutch.

Last edited by modok on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber issue Reply with quote

Turning off the fuel pump won't stop the carb from working, it works until there is no more fuel in it, then it stops working.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber issue Reply with quote

Does it have a MSD 6 box on it by chance? If it does it might need the diode in line to kill the power from the alternator.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: