Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Couple of (possibly stupid) q's about cranking for oil pressure
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Couple of (possibly stupid) q's about cranking for oil pressure Reply with quote

Ok - just about to install motor that sat on stand for 6 months. Have filled the motor and external filter with oil, put a little oil into each cylinder and then will install the motor into the car, pull the plugs, coil middle and oil pressure switch.

Question 1 - (possibly stupid!) Can i crank for pressure without the inlets/carbs bolted up? - just to ease the pain of replacement of spark plugs with carbs (48's) in.

Question 2 - once oil comes out of the oil pressure switcn the motor is primed right?[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Couple of (possibly stupid) q's about cranking for oil pressure Reply with quote

#1: probably the best way to do it, since you don't want to be sucking fuel into the engine unless it's getting burned. I usually build oil pressure and break the cam in on the ground before I put the motor in, but if you don't have a run stand or spare tranny that won't work for you.

#2: yes, more or less. I'd put the switch back in and crank another 5-10 seconds so you know it's made it to the bearings too.

I will add that I've had good results packing the oil pump with grease. Helps create a good suction, especially if your pump is on the loose side.
If anything comes out perfect it just means your measuring tools are substandard.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of (possibly stupid) q's about cranking for oil pressure Reply with quote

Makes sense on the carbs thing. What type of grease do you pack the pump with?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stan_tichomirov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of (possibly stupid) q's about cranking for oil pressure Reply with quote

I stopped putting grease in the pump a while ago (assembly moly grease). I just use thick oil on the gears when putting them in, or the red assembly lube. Primes just fine.

Last time I did it with plugs installed, and dual springs. Starter was weak (dying), but still primed fine.

Stan
My budget 2276 build
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of (possibly stupid) q's about cranking for oil pressure Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Stan and excuse me here but I thought I was supposed to have plugs out? The motor is not a fresh build but has been on the stand for 6 months. Do I still need to oil the gears?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of (possibly stupid) q's about cranking for oil pressure Reply with quote

richierich wrote:
The motor is not a fresh build but has been on the stand for 6 months.

Forget about all the witchcraft VooDoo magic. Put everything together and start the engine up.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of (possibly stupid) q's about cranking for oil pressure Reply with quote

All you need is the pump and lines to be air bound and have a pocket of air that limits pressure. Do what is necessary and not make your money burn to guarantee that engine doesn't sieze.

In fact air bounding happened on an engine I broke in yesterday when I took off the oil pump mating surface leak from casting flash.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of (possibly stupid) q's about cranking for oil pressure Reply with quote

Dave - i tend to take that view but i dont want to **** this up!

Jfats - I'm not 100% sure what is necessary.......that's why I am asking.......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: