Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yeti cooler?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

We have a Yeti 45.
It is a little small for our family of 4, long weekend, trips... but works, with some efficient packing.

I researched the Pelican as well, but chose Yeti as the footprint and weight were smaller (if I recall), with a similar interior volume.

We also have a Luna Weekender 52 Liter Fridge Freezer - which is plenty big for a family of 4 for a long weekend... or longer... we have packed up the Luna fridge for 7-10 day trips... 52L, no space needed for ice... it is a bit larger footprint/weight than the yeti... so sacrifice of more floor space

FWIW, I love the Yeti... bomber insulation.. is not magic... but way better than any other cooler I've ever owned...

I also love the Luna (except for the sticker price)...

Last edited by DeadSetMonkey on Thu May 26, 2016 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

I have a yeti 65 but it lives in the back of my truck. I have an engel mt45 in the van and love it, couldn't imagine using the yeti as it's quite a bit larger. I use an engel drybox for ice and drinks, it rides between the front seats. The drybox isn't really practical for that as it has no drain and it's not insulated very well. I'm trying to decide between another smaller fridge or a yeti hopper to replace it with.
offthewallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Yeti 50. We liked the footprint better than the 45 with just a bit more room. Nice height for a seat. And... Tall enough inside for Growler or 22 oz bottles to stay upright.

I use the rear facing seat seatbelt as a tie down.

1989 Wolfsburg
2212 WBX - Manual
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

jwallace wrote:
Yeti 50. Nice height for a seat. And... Tall enough inside for Growler or 22 oz bottles to stay upright.

I do wish I'd tested out growler and tall bottle fitment.
I'm resigned to short bottles or tall bottles laying down.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Take a look at the Igloo Sportsman 55. Yeti-like, without all of the bragging rights and cost.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sportsman-cooler/prod10150470.ip?navAction=

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

To continue the of topic posts. Sorry.
http://orioncoolers.com/

I saw one in person in Steamboat. Burly. I believe they are made in Tennessee at the Jackson Kayak factory. I like to support USA made things.
Bearproof too I think.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
Grab a tasty beverage and watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg

Here's the follow-up. The Yeti is good, but not really any better than some of the other roto-molded coolers that are less expensive. The Orca looks like a really good cooler. I didn't do full price comparisons.

I have the Igloo Sportsman and it fared as well as the Yeti with greater actual interior volume for the stated size (the Yeti 45 is really 37 qt).

Link

Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Here is a photo of my Yeti 50 tan color in my Westy. I chose the 50 for its dimensions so I could still walk through the aisle from the front to the back. I did have to move my fire extinguisher. If you note from the picture it fits perfect with the optional seat cushion and is very handy as a seat with the rear table extended. It also provides for a good step to reach the top bunk. The drain is also on the door side so it can be easily drained. The downside is that you must slide it forward a little to open it, since it just fits under the seatbelt reel. I also considered the pelican 35 which is a perfect fit also but the drain is on the wrong side. The good thing about the pelican is the lid has a cutout that perfectly matches the location of the seatbelt reel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mrcool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

This ice test makes more sense imo. The Yeti outlasted all the similar sized igloos, pelican, engle. The video starts at the results of the test.

Link
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:
Take a look at the Igloo Sportsman 55. Yeti-like, without all of the bragging rights and cost.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sportsman-cooler/prod10150470.ip?navAction=

This was on my list but I have seen mixed reviews of it.
johnnyjewel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

My good friend has been talking about getting a Yeti for years now. So, for his and his wife's 50th anniversary, we got them a Yeti!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is a Yeti Beverage Entry tool! He was sort of delighted.

"Everybody matters or nobody matters." Hieronymus Bosch
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

what makes these coolers cost so much? even the alt.not-yeti is $200

a Coleman is $50
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

My point in alternatives to the Yeti is that you can pay twice as much for 5% better performance. This is the case with a lot of things, like guns and stereo equipment, etc. I personally don't like wasting money. And the Yeti is just too expensive for what it is and does. The less expensive coolers made from the same materials and with similar performance proves this. Yeti is no longer relevant in the market. They will either squeeze the brand name for all it is worth and then die, or innovate and/or drop prices to stay alive.

Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

For sure the expense of them is silly really. I use a basic cooler. It works pretty well. I am got to try to a DIY upgrade for fun.

I will take my cooler. Buy a smaller cooler to put inside (maybe just styrofoam) and insulate between them. I will add some thin weather strip to the lid and see how it goes. Should be fun anyway.
KristianS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Dont bother with Yeti. Cheaper and better alternatives.

OZARK from Walmart tested better or equal as Yeti

Yesterday I stumbled over RTIC coolers from Texas. (made in China) Cheaper than YETI but seems like a good deal - backordered for a few weeks though.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
Save up just a little bit longer for a proper fridge (ARB). You won't regret it.

THIS.

Not dealing with ice ever again is worth the little bit of extra dough. I love my Engel chest fridge/freezer.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
steyrwolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

I have two, the Roadie and the Tundra 45...both were a gift from a friend who won them and didn't want/need them.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay a dime for either if I was in the market. I appreciate them because they were a gift and I certainly use them, but I don't think they come close to living up to the hype compared to anything else at a fraction of the price...
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
what makes these coolers cost so much? even the alt.not-yeti is $200

Marketing.

High margins are needed to fund a sales force and buy ads (and stickers!) needed to fuel the consumer demand. As others enter the market they also need to spend $$$ to capture the consumer's attention.

Fundamentally, these coolers do offer higher quality, even though most folks could get by with a $50 cooler. Just like we all could get by spending much less by driving a domestic van.

As for Yeti, I hope they're plowing some $ into R&D. I'd love to see what they'd develop in camp stoves, storage containers, furniture, etc. Camp Chef stoves are an improvement over mass-market, lowest-common-denominator Coleman products but there's room for differentiated product.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Yeti cooler? Reply with quote

https://www.walmart.com/ip/34105098?wmlspartner=wl...mp;veh=sem

anybody wants to design a really good cooler, let me know - it won't be cheap...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: