Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission for 400 hp track day/everyday bug.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: I ran 400-465hp engine (sold now) in my street bug with a Porsche G50 gearbox (type 4 turbo) for the last few years.

I got a used G50-01 ('87-'89) 5-speed for cheap that turned out to be perfect (most all used ones are afaik).
Used it for road racing (circuit, TimeAttack NL), drag racing and street cruising. I drive to all events too.
Clutch is hydraulic originally (soft) on a G50 and the ratios for a that hp fit that box perfectly.

Eventually I sourced a used LSD (also cheap second hand), replaced the disks for some upgraded ones (original porsche is sh*t) and have a bulletproof OEM tranny.
G50 also has stock an internalgate shifter and shifting action is smoooooth! Love it!

Of course, there's no stack of these things in some corner. You will have to look and source, but its worth it.

Best of luck,
Walter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dalland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, many good ideas now!

I hope to stay with a swing axle type1 transmission just because I don't want to chop up my car when I will probably sell the engine after some years and always keep the car.
I am thinking that without drag starts and on normal tires it will start spinning long before I break the trans, so a mendola shouldn't be needed...
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about Wally's car when I was reading this thread, I guess a nice built type 1 would work if you dont launch with it, maybe 300 hp could get you by haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalland wrote:
Thanks guys, many good ideas now!

I hope to stay with a swing axle type1 transmission just because I don't want to chop up my car when I will probably sell the engine after some years and always keep the car.
I am thinking that without drag starts and on normal tires it will start spinning long before I break the trans, so a mendola shouldn't be needed...

Sounds like you'll need to build up a mean Type 1 then. Mine is based on a new aluminum Rhino case, has Weddle 1-4, and a German 3.88 mounted on a spool(not optimal for the street, but it works just fine once you are used to it).
Mine will break the tires loose while driving, in multiple gears rolling into the throttle as the boost comes up while on street tires. It is definitely smoother on things than launching at 6k. Build it right, invest in a nice clutch or clutch management setup and T1 should last just fine.
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetspeed wrote:
OP: I ran 400-465hp engine (sold now) in my street bug with a Porsche G50 gearbox (type 4 turbo) for the last few years.

I got a used G50-01 ('87-'89) 5-speed for cheap that turned out to be perfect (most all used ones are afaik).
Used it for road racing (circuit, TimeAttack NL), drag racing and street cruising. I drive to all events too.
Clutch is hydraulic originally (soft) on a G50 and the ratios for a that hp fit that box perfectly.

Eventually I sourced a used LSD (also cheap second hand), replaced the disks for some upgraded ones (original porsche is sh*t) and have a bulletproof OEM tranny.
G50 also has stock an internalgate shifter and shifting action is smoooooth! Love it!

Of course, there's no stack of these things in some corner. You will have to look and source, but its worth it.

Best of luck,
Walter

The G50 is the best thing for a bug with this much power. If memory serves me correctly skinne's car also has a G50 and that nonster has 900 HP.

Wally what projects are you up on now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhoefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G50 is definitely a strong box, but it does require quite a bit a chassis work to fit the extra length, then again so will the others:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Levi Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted to do a 915 for mine, turbo 2.2 wasserboxer. I talked to the experts and with less than 300ftlbs under 3500 rpm a 915 will hold up with the appropriate mods. My engine should produce right at 400hp at 7200 and 300ft lbs at 6250 rpm at the flywheel... Yes, it will be a massive pig as low rpm...
The thing with the G50 that turned me off, as i understand it, was having to cut the middle out of the torsion to stuff it in. 915 doesn't require chopping the center out but it's a tight fit... Very, very tight fit.
Oh well, that's my understanding of it... I've only seen photos of G50 swaps and as their wicked expensive... A 915 just made more since to me.
Not too many out there crazy enough to build cars like these. Glad to know I'm not the only nut out there.
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi Harris wrote:

The thing with the G50 that turned me off, as i understand it, was having to cut the middle out of the torsion to stuff it in.

No, you don't with an aircooled VW engine, yes you do with a subaru engine.

Another reason to... nah, lets not go there Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Levi Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 5 VW wasserboxer... Should have made it more clear. Started as a 2.1 but got some bigger jugs.
Any how, just out of curiosity... How do you get it to fit without cutting the torsion? How's the axle line up?
Beetspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would take more then a simple forum posting and also put me wayyyy off-topic, sorry...
On the germanlook.net/forum is a complete topic of my car and mods Wink
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 400 hp track day/everyday bug. Reply with quote

The only trans that will be able to handle the power properly is a MENDOLA and not the entry ECONO mendola that has the same gears as a type 1 trans but the next level.

It will cost you 7 grand and you will be able to sleep at night.Knowing that your trans will live anotherr day without doubt.

With all those other trans you can build them up but after 200 foot lbs of torques it is going to break.

A super dialed rhino trans built to the hilt will run you like 4500.I urge you to talk to FOLTS TRANS IN ONTARIO CA.He did the last 3 trans for my cars and never an issue.

Now my next car will be spitting out 400 clean HP easily with weak barometer and air.That car will end up having a 2nd level trans.

Talk to dave he will set u Set u STRAIGHT.

Dont waste your dough on a porsche trans high cost major modiification. The customs gears alone for a porsche trans are out this world.Unless that is you just plan on using the stock gears.

The gears arent gonna be geared properly to the motor 6cyl motor turbo or not have a different powerband all together.

It like trying to modify a set of TYPE 4 HEADS that out perform a radical set of type 1 heads just because it has a bigger casting with 50x40 valves impossible and a waste.

mendola period.

There is no type 1 trans rhino or not that can handle 400 hp and 350 plus foot lbs of torque
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 400 hp track day/everyday bug. Reply with quote

I have to agree. No built type 1 or 091 will handle that kind of power in the long run. The limit seems to be around 270 hp for the type 1 and maybe 325 for the 091. Especially the massive torque wears the bearings and the housing down. It simply "splits" or throws the ring drive out through the side.
G50 is a good option. Then a Subie trans, then a Mendeola. But in any case 3000 $ will not cover it.

T
buggnuttz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 400 hp track day/everyday bug. Reply with quote

speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 400 hp track day/everyday bug. Reply with quote

G-50 would be the best bang for the buck ... and hold the torque...
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 400 hp track day/everyday bug. Reply with quote

There are plenty of people who run 400-500 HP though a Type 1 box. What kills them is the drag race start. If you have skinny tires, a slipper clutch or a Washington shocker you can make it live. The 6 rib bus box is another great choice (Jeff Fields builds our). I have been racing with them in the desert and a 200+ HP car in the desert will probably see way more stress on the box than a 400 HP on the street. They survive amazingly well. It's the axles that end up breaking the most which is good since they are easy to replace. I have a friend with an 800+ HP Turbo LS kit car with a G50 in it who can drag race launch it all day and has had no problems in years. So you have choices. Transaxles are the part where you can ask yourself which part do you want to be the weakest link. You can break away at the tires, clutch, axles or internals.
I have 400-500 HP in my buggy and ran 10.5" slicks with a normal super diff and 930 CV's. After a couple weekends I decided to change the gearing and put a Quaife LSD in it. While in there, Rancho transmissions said I loosened up the Diff quite a bit from the drag race starts and large slicks. They also sited the heavy 930 CV's added a lot or weight to the bearings so I believe they added an outer support bearing . I have not tested that combo yet but I did go from a Stage 2 clutch to a stage 4 with a longer arm and hydraulic slave. I also added extra welding support (Thanks for the suggestion Mark McTuckey) to the HP cross shaft. The pedal feels like a stage 1 with the longer arm and hydraulics.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 400 hp track day/everyday bug. Reply with quote

We successfully used a Type I against a 440 hp engine in our drag car, but I don't recommend it for a heavier street car that sometimes drag races.

You WILL need to convert to IRS.

I also vote for the G-50 series trans. That's what the Big Boys in your neck of the woods use. But they use the G50/50 or 52 for the FAR stronger R&P (than the G50/01 /02 /05).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 400 hp track day/everyday bug. Reply with quote

this thread is from 2013... Rolling Eyes Laughing
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission for 400 hp track day/everyday bug. Reply with quote

.. and nothing's changed.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: