Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
...Bus depot is recommending and selling the RA18 now a good replacement for the RA08.

Thanks Pinetops. I've ordered the RA18; apparently they are in demand and will take seven days to get to my tire place (the set is coming from Texas). ...so I just need the current tires to do about a total of 120 miles this weekend for the Kelly Park meet in San Jose.

Unrelated (for our Ghia), if anyone has favorite/quality upholstery places in/near the Bay Area of California, please let me know.
Particularly if they specialize in VWs. Thanks. PM is fine.

Current/OLD tires:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Hankook 185R-14 RA18 Reply with quote

Received a nice call while at work; the tires arrived (early) to the tire shop.
These are the Hankook 185R-14 RA18, new model replacement to the RA08, which is no longer being made.
Made a quick trip out to get them put on.

I've only had the chance to drive 18 miles on them so far, but the difference was noticeable, and now I feel much safer again.
Handled very well in the gusty windy areas of the 4 highway.

Expensive? Youbetcha!
$100 a tire + $25 freight shipping (per tire), plus balancing, stems, taxes, etc.

Let's just say that if a 1967 Westfalia had cost, back in 1967, around $2,667
...then I just paid 23.73% of the cost of The Toaster for tires (inflation not accounted for ~ tire joke/pun intended).

Happy just the same, and ready for Kelley Park on Sunday (Show/meet in San Jose, California. April 17th, 2016).
If you're going to be there too, drop by and introduce yourself.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Glad they worked out. Did you see if one would fit in the spare tire well (you have a walk thru bus like mine)? I know the previous RA08 185R14's did but the 195R14's were a bit too wide.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Glad they worked out. Did you see if one would fit in the spare tire well (you have a walk thru bus like mine)? I know the previous RA08 185R14's did but the 195R14's were a bit too wide.

I'll have to check sometime... yes, also a walk-through. Knew I couldn't afford a 5th "for looks" this time out, so I hadn't thought to check.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

That was quick, they look great. Let us know if you can tell a difference in the way the bus drives with your new kooks.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Nice job getting them on the bus so quickly. Certainly, it will be one less worry on your next road trip.

I'm surprised you were not able to locate them at a Discount Tire or other national chain and just have them bring them in. They usually order them but you don't have to pay the shipping as they just add them to their normal inventory order.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
C.Moore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

Dada Hi. I also put Hankooks on Gretchen's 67 and there is nothing like, 8-ply, light duty truck tires on your bus. I have an original bias/ply 7:00-14 Continental that came on buses when new just for comparison purposes. It is also 8-ply. Not all mushy feeling going around corners as with 4-ply. passenger car tires.
Thanks for the invite...... we'll be seeing you tonight.... Christopher
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Kelley Park 2016 ~ San Jose, CA (Sunday, April 17th, 2016) Reply with quote

Fantastic VW weekend.

The whole weekend started great since C.Moore and Gretchen took us up on our offer of visiting/staying over in our guest room so that they could cut time off of the drive to the Kelley Park Show/Meet in San Jose, CA.

C.Moore, on the Samba, if you don't already know, hosts a great overnight wrenching party at his property for the Shasta Snow Trip folks each year prior their trip north.
It was great that Kathy and I could return some of the hospitality and help that he and Gretchen provide for the VW community at large.
Excellent visit; so pleased to have such knowledgeable and friendly visitors.

We were up by 4:30am to make it down to Kelley Park to line up for the gate/entrance time to the park.
As always, the camaraderie of the early morning line-up is part of the show as well, and right off we got to meet a lot of great folks and see their VWs in all styles.

We brought both the Toaster and the Kathy's new (to us) 1971 Willow Green Karmann Ghia Coupe.

The Toaster:

Kathy's Ghia:

This posting is already too long (but not as long as it would be if I didn't have to rush to work soon).

The Kelley Park show is also great due to the large amount of shade at the park, the beautiful buildings that we all get to park near, and the relaxed pace.

There were SO many amazing split-window buses.
Here's a random assortment (below), but you can also look at individual pictures here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...ts=summary

I had so many favorites, but after some reflection, I think that this high-roof commercial coffee bus perfectly combines practicality and a certain rare quality (plus I'm a coffee fanatic):

The swapmeet section (parts both new and used) was really great... didn't get too much this time, I'm not after a lot of parts right now.
Kathy did, however, get her own jumpsuit now that she'll be doing so much more wrenching with her VW:

We got to meet some wonderful Ghia folks, so we feel well-supported now in that department should we have questions, need suggestions, etc.
As always; the VW community is such a great, kind and friendly one.

We also very much enjoyed talking to many split bus owners who, like ourselves, use their buses regularly. If not daily drivers, then at least all the time for camping and traveling.
Met some wonderful folks that I hope we'll be in contact again with soon.
PM me if we spoke to you and you'd like to continue conversations we started.

So; before I rush off to work, I just have to reiterate that it is the people of the VW community that makes it such a great hobby, lifestyle and/or mode of transportation.
Thanks everyone for such a great time this weekend!

Me, Kathy, C.Moore and Gretchen:

post script...
The 100+ miles on the new tires proved them to be well worth the funds.
Could certainly feel a stability that The Toaster hasn't had in years.

post post script...
I have SO many more pictures (bugs, other models, etc) from the meet, just no time to post... They'll be in the gallery eventually.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
C.Moore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

It was fun, thanks for the hospitality
C.Moore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/SacramentoGrilledCheeseFestival/ for DADA Cheese anyone???
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement of the Cab's Floor Mat Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
I've seen great threads in which folks have repaired their floor cab floor mats... mine just seems beyond that...

Months ago (eight months?) I bought a replacement from Wolfsburg West, but just couldn't bring myself to replace the original.

Finally did today.
The original is brittle, all the cracks in it that see you see in the picture below are such that the weight of each section is enough for it to rip/break off.
The heel of my shoe has been catching in one of the cracks below the gas pedal.

NO, I didn't throw the original one away. I actually used painter's tape to try to hold it together as I place it away in storage.

The new mat looks nice, fits perfectly, and is pliable enough to have place it in place without worrying about damaging it.

I think the originals are rubber, aren't they?

You might be able to put it back together using tire inner tube material and rubber cement underside to bridge the tears and give them strength, and end up with something looking decent.

Ok, I reuse coffee filters for a week.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Hendy Woods, CA trip. Reply with quote

Hendy Woods, CA

Made it out to Hendy Woods again. 232 miles round trip weekend camping trip.
Were out there with friends, many from SacWater (water cooled VW club out of Sacramento, CA).

Great to be with friends who know how to camp ...and it was also the Boonville (CA) Beer Festival.

There was a shuttle to and from the campsite to Boonville. Lots of beer at the festival. LOTS.

We realize there were a lot of great nearby VW meets this past weekend, but we were really itching to start the camping season, and since it was with VW friends, it was the perfect opportunity.

Hope that all of you were out and about in your split buses this weekend.

OH; below, that's a FAKE cigarette that Kathy has; part of her costume.

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

I know, I know, the picture below mainly depicts a Bay Window, but look off to the right. That's "The Toaster" in approximately 1979.

It's sitting there, and it sat unmoved in that spot for a few years.
Since the Blue Bay was working, dad didn't bother with The Toaster and whatever was wrong with it at the time.
Happened twice. Once for roughly 3 years, another time for almost 5.

It is my brother and sister in the picture.

This weekend:
Ranch Run Appreciation Picnic (Saturday, May 28th, 2016):
https://www.facebook.com/events/1756833267907473/
North-east of Sacramento, CA.

Bug-o-Rama in Sacramento, CA (Sunday, May 29th, 2016):
http://www.bugorama.com/events.php#event3

Anyone attending either?
We can't make it to The Ranch Run Picnic, regretfully.
As to Sunday, my wife's had a slight cold which I hope will be over and that we can make it to Bug-o-Rama on Sunday.
It would be great to meet other split-window folks while there if we haven't met.

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Bugorama, Sunday, May 29th, 2016 Reply with quote

Another hot and fun Bugorama.

The picture below doesn't show the full breadth of the meet (there's much, much more off to the left including the HUGE swap area):

BUGORAMA #77
Sunday, May 29th, 2016
Sacramento Raceway Park
Sacramento, California

Here are SOME of the split-window buses:

For more pictures (and close-ups) look in the folder for the meet:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...ts=summary

Kathy and I were super pleased to show both of our VWs; "The Toaster" and Kathy's 1971 Willow Green Ghia.

The drag races were fun to watch, as always, but it gets SO hot out there. I think the high yesterday was 96 degrees.
Great to have the Westfalia and keep ice cold water in it... wore my hiking sun-block shirt, otherwise I would have fried to a crisp.

Was great to hang out with our friends from SacWater (water-cooled VW club in Sacramento), meet a lot of folks and also run into a lot of other VW friends too.

Super pleased that our neighbor/friend won an award for his 62 Deluxe Bug:

So much to see, so much that stands out at these meets...
Was impressed by this roof-top tent which, I believe is new (modern made):

Also, this phenomenal trailer barbecue:

As always, so much to see, so many great people to talk to.
We were fortunate too, some friends of ours (non-VW folks) invited us to an evening barbecue/pool party at their house which was greatly needed after the hot day at the raceway.

If you were in attendance too, we hope we saw you, or your VW, or both.
Next up; Lakeport Camp & Shine meet/show, June 18th, 2016 in Lakeport, CA.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Lakeport, CA "Camp & Shine" at Clear Lake, June 18th, 2016 Reply with quote

Just a few details of this past weekend's show at Clear Lake, CA (City of Lakeport).
For us; only a 113 mile drive away.

The annual "Camp and Shine" show is great due, in part, because of the camping.
...but even more so because of the people and the chance to relax, talk, share food and drink as well as participate in a show.
Had the chance to catch up with a few people we'd met before, and lots of new (to us) VW folks too.
This relaxed meet is well organized, no pressure, friendly, has great raffle prizes and is just a lot of fun.

We only brought "The Toaster" (for expediency) this time leaving Kathy's Ghia behind.
Arriving late in the evening on Friday, it started to rain, and continued for several hours...
Great to have a Westy; we slept in it the first night, and set up the tent for the second night (more room).
Saturday and Sunday were beautiful; sunny and warm.

The venue for the show is great too; shade trees, a nice park, view of the lake...
Also this year there was even another event happening behind the VW one; a beer and wine tasting fundraiser for the local symphony with food and craft vendors too.

Here's part of the street that the show was on:

...and SOME of the participating VWs:

Some of the buses:

Some of the bugs:

Besides the great bugs, busses, several water-cooled VWs and other custom rides, this odd and amazing VW "Ford" arrived too (below).
I can't even imagine how one starts with a project like this one. Very impressive.

Lastly, we found ourselves both appreciative and humbled having been awarded First Place for "Stock Bus" by the peer-judged show.
Never expecting, or really trying, to win at shows that we attend, we were very surprised.
Naturally couldn't have done it without all the kind votes of the attendees, so thank you; you've made The Toaster very proud.

If you go to the Gallery and look up "Lakeport 2016" I posted a great many of the snapshots I took from the show.

We've also managed to solidify our standing as the couple who makes and shares authentic Swiss fondues at "Camp & Shine"... many thanks, everyone, for the great company, food and drinks!

Volkswagens camping by the lake:

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

The local Lakeport (Clear Lake, CA) newspaper wrote an article about "The Toaster".

The reporter got it right; including the fact that VW folks are helpful and friendly:

http://www.record-bee.com/article/NQ/20160621/NEWS/160629967
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
The local Lakeport (Clear Lake, CA) newspaper wrote an article about "The Toaster".

The reporter got it right; including the fact that VW folks are helpful and friendly:

http://www.record-bee.com/article/NQ/20160621/NEWS/160629967

What a neat article and the author did a good job. I think the vast majority of us aircooled VW knuckleheads have a connection to these old cars from our youth and family. My father has passed and I remember vividly working on our bug in the 70's. I was the kid that passed the tools to him and then got to clean them afterward. Those memories I treasure.

Every time I work on a VW, I think of my father. I love it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Every time I work on a VW, I think of my father. I love it.

Couldn't agree more, wcfvw69. Our families were often the pioneers who drove those crazy VW cars back in the late '50s and '60s...
----------------------------

Had a mostly Ghia weekend (including installing a rebuilt starter), but want to keep this post relevant to Split-buses...
On Saturday (June 25th, 2016), we went to the open house of a VW restoration shop out in Concord, CA; LaVere's VW & Audi.

Was there for the free chili and the opportunity to see any/all of the air-cooled VWs both at the shop, and that showed up for the open house.
We have never utilized this shop for anything.

The name of the type of boat (designed to fit on top of VW buses) is escaping me, but I was impressed that they had one on display (see below).

Here's a few snapshots, there's a few more in the gallery that I posted as well.

Kathy driving us out to Lavere's in her '71 Ghia

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Busy summer with visitors (2016) Reply with quote

Haven't been on The Samba much lately; been enjoying driving around.

Good friends of ours from the Hessen region of Germany came to visit once again, this time with their two daughters who are now 5 and 8 years old.

My good friend Jochen I've known since an exchange program back in 1988 (G.A.P.P. ~ German American Partnership Program).
The program had several students from their German gymnasium came to our town for about 6 weeks and were hosted by students from our high school, and then we went from our high school to their town afterwards for the same amount of time.
Even back then Jochen had ridden in "The Toaster", because that was the car I had during high school.

The program created some wonderful life-long friendships.

His, and his Swiss wife's daughters are wonderful, and it was great fun having them stay with us.
Jochen & Nicole actually met one another in San Francisco.

Their family's visit naturally helps us stay on top of our German language skills.
The kids appreciated this since neither have started English lessons in school yet.

Naturally we went everywhere in "The Toaster" since it could transport all six of us everywhere we wanted to go.

This is the kind of daily use that I love about our VW; practical and fun.

The girls loved riding in The Toaster, but I was very sad to bring them all back to SFO in it yesterday morning.
...and yep, you guessed it; their flight was Delta (which had a computer melt-down on Monday, August 8th, 2016, leaving many stranded travelers).
However, they got home safe and relatively quickly compared to other Delta passengers.

Many visits to many beaches, San Francisco, Santa Cruz and all over the Bay Area.
Great times.
If you aren't already; get out there and use your bus.
We'll see you out and about.

DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: "The Toaster" ~ Personal History and restoration Reply with quote

12th Nor-Cal Bus Fest in Antioch, CA
Sunday, August 14th, 2016.

Another great meet up here in Northern California.
This one almost passed me by; have been busy with work and visitors.
Sister-in-law also in town (but she and Kathy were out driving around in the Ghia on Sunday).

The Toaster at the event:

It's bus only, but all years of manufacture are welcome, so I even got a closer look at some Eurovans.

Yes, yes, this next picture is of a Vanagon, but it was pretty impressive just the same:

Back to splits...

Very impressed with this home/self-made double-awning set-up for this Double-Door.
A husband and wife team collaborated on its creation:

The owner of this next bus did his own camper interior in his split bus, using elements of design from different years that he liked:

Lots of beautiful shiny buses at the meet too:

Overall; great event.
Very relaxed, in the shade (got up to 93 degrees or so in Antioch that day).
Well organized, friendly folks, and great raffle prizes including a set of Safari Windows.
I manged to win a shift-stick extender; a part I've always wanted to try, but had never bought.

There are a few more pictures I took (including Bay Windows and some Vangons) if you look them up in the gallery.

To any and all folks I got to see again; great to see you.
To the new folks I got to meet, including some great newbies to VWs; excellent to meet you.
Absolutely love the VW community at large.

Oh; and finally got to meet Adam (who lives in a neighboring town) in person.
Here's his great bus at the meet too:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 47

Jump to: