Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

UPDATE: Bought a fill value from Terry as someone below suggested. Still don't know the part number! Doesn't matter though. I will check with Bus Depot about the extend a stay option but I'm a bit worried about safely adding an extra tank.

I finally found someone who will replace my fill valve but he wants me to order the part. Anybody know the part number? I don't see it listed in my Bentley ('87 westy). I got these numbers off the valve: V20154 and under that was written: 6L25 (not sure if first character is a six or a G. Then elsewhere: 070120 and under that 10/07

Any help?

Also I figured I'd have him add an extend a stay. Any recommendations? I'd like to be able to connect a 20 lb tank when camped.

I'd love to order from Amazon and take advantage of free two day shipping.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Westy1999 on Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

This member contributes often and has gone to the trouble to figure out what parts are needed. At least you know they will be correct. Scroll down on his webpage to see the tank parts. I have no affiliation with Terry or his accessories for sale. http://vanagonwestfaliaaccessories.com/ Sorry I don't know the part numbers you desire. mark
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

You can add LP to your tank or run off a separate tank (as off gas) with a simple BBQ to BBQ adapter hose. The inside of the fill valve has the BBQ adapter thread. Tip your 20lb tank upside down and let the LP flow into your empty tank or just connect and let it sit on the ground for gas feed.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

I bought the extend a stay that Bus Depot carries which allows you to connect other equipment to the vanagon propane. It also has the necessary hookup to back feed your system (not through the fill port).

It is simple and requires minor bending of the copper line to accommodate the extended length.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
You can add LP to your tank or run off a separate tank (as off gas) with a simple BBQ to BBQ adapter hose. The inside of the fill valve has the BBQ adapter thread. Tip your 20lb tank upside down and let the LP flow into your empty tank or just connect and let it sit on the ground for gas feed.

None of the fills I've seen have that internal POL thread. WHen I was shopping for a new fill valve, I searched and searched and could not find anyone that sells one with those internal threads.
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I've updated my original post.

Any concerns about adding an extend a stay type option like the one Bus Depot sells?

http://www.busdepot.com/53700
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

As I mentioned above, I had this installed and it is awesome. I had this installed this past March (March 2016). I bought the extend a stay from bus depot and the additional "second chance" adapter.

Easy peasy, but does require bending the copper lines. there is a post on here that shows the bends w/ the extend a stay.

-Dana

Westy1999 wrote:
Thanks guys, I've updated my original post.

Any concerns about adding an extend a stay type option like the one Bus Depot sells?

http://www.busdepot.com/53700

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

This is what I use.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It will not fill your on board tank, it just allows you to stay in one place for a long time.
I rarely use it, much easier to get the Westy tank refilled.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
This is what I use.

It will not fill your on board tank, it just allows you to stay in one place for a long time.
I rarely use it, much easier to get the Westy tank refilled.

So you only need this hose to connect the extra propane tank? Where can I get one and what do I search for? Do you think this is as safe as the Bus Depot option? Thanks.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

It's absolutely safe. The main bit is the large brass connector, you can get that from a good propane service/supplier (sorry there is no part # on mine) and the extension hose is available just about anywhere that has propane accessories.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
LTBeck41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

The connections shown in the photos connect to the existing tank as a pass through to the vehicle. I wish to totally yank the existing VERY old, rusted tank and connect directly to the previous Van to Tank location. New tanks are seriously expensive for this occasional user!

Is this doable?

Anyone done it before?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

LTBeck41 wrote:
The connections shown in the photos connect to the existing tank as a pass through to the vehicle. I wish to totally yank the existing VERY old, rusted tank and connect directly to the previous Van to Tank location. New tanks are seriously expensive for this occasional user!

Is this doable?

Anyone done it before?

Hello, I started this topic some years ago. I was interested in connecting a 1lb bottle to my stove and fridge till I revamped my propane tank. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244556&highlight=

Quite a few good ideas surfaced. Our tank, looked like ass. What I found though is the tank material is quite thick. I media blasted the tank and skid plate and painted with gloss white automotive paint I had around. I then installed new fill valve and a regulator. Mounted it back and actually found someone selling new decals for it. It works as it should and have never had a problem getting a fill. It is very convenient to have the tank permanently mounted and connected. We easily get 2 weeks of stove and fridge operation between fills.

Looks like you are in FLA. Every January we have a GTG at Convict Springs along the Suwanee river near Mayo Florida. Its a good time. mark
gsmith58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

Older post and since I just messed around with an extend a stay on my second tank I thought I would post.
Got everything from my local propane store and everything was plug in play. This is my second tank I had picked off an old van and is for heat only.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

^^^

Could you list part numbers? Or names. Thanks
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

it's just an extend a stay.
not sure why you have the T after the regulator with the cap? maybe a future possible use/need?

but for Ahmed.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ei=Rwm_XNGQKoqE5wLhk5ToCw&q=extend+a+stay+propane

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat. Terry doesn't have the replacement valve in stock. (Though he did provide an unsolicited rant about politics in lieu of the part.) Bus Depot has it on their website and my order for it has been on back order for a couple of months; they don't answer inquiries about when it might be available. Searching for it on the net yields nothing. Local propane shops aren't any help (one said they wouldn't sell me a non auto-stop replacement as doing so would incur liability). And so on.

Any clues where to get either a V20154 or the simpler alternative?

Thanks!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

Our longtime Samba member Jim Davis has been rooting around in the Westy propane netherworld as of late.
https://www.vanavation.com/products.html

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Our longtime Samba member Jim Davis has been rooting around in the Westy propane netherworld as of late.

Thanks! Just made the order.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

87RedWesty wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Thanks! Just made the order.

I'm eyeing that future product of the Quad Knob Syncro panel, I think would be cool for either a hidden switch for anti theft or I personally run a manual radiator fan switch because I don't trust my resistor!
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Propane fill valve part # and extend a stay options Reply with quote

I talked with our local propane supplier recently and said I was interested in an extend a stay since we now have a Propex. He said they build a hose with the fittings to attach to the OEM fill valve and the portable tank you might carry.
Just like MsTaboo had posted. The LP company would make the hose and supply the 5lb.(I think) tank full of propane for $200. While this sounds expensive I think it seems simple and easy. All I have to figure out is the proper bracket to carry the extra tank on the van and there are many options. Any ideas, pictures?

Last edited by Schuylersister on Sun May 15, 2022 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: