Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it ok for a quick fix
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KillerTux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Is it ok for a quick fix Reply with quote

I was greasing up my front end and the rubber seal broke. I clamped it up with a hose clamp. Will this work for driving and how do I go about installing a new rubber seal?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To replace the seal, you'll need to remove the trailing arms from the beam. Not too difficult of a job, but you might as well replace all the seals while you'll got it apart
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok for a quick fix Reply with quote

KillerTux wrote:
I was greasing up my front end and the rubber seal broke. I clamped it up with a hose clamp. Will this work for driving and how do I go about installing a new rubber seal?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Describe "broke"??... these torsion arm seals are only dust/dirt seals in that if you grease your beam like your supposed to...grease will come oozing out of the seal/beam... that is how they were designed. They are not meant to "contain" the grease permanently like a wheel bearing grease seal....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KillerTux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok. I thought they sealed in the lube and as the new stuff was injected in it would give around the edges. Glad to know. Very Happy
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok for a quick fix Reply with quote

Thread Revival!

I have a dust seal that is split. The body is off the link pin pan.

Is it possible to remove the set and grub screw, lower shock bolt, sway bar and tie rod and remove the entire hub assembly with the trailing arms still attached?

More or less slide the upper and lower trailing arms out of the beam.

Or am I taking apart the brakes, hub, king/link pin setup, all of the above, just to replace the seal?

Thanks!
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok for a quick fix Reply with quote

yes but way to hard to get everything lined up to go back together. Easier to pull it apart and do it the easy way.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok for a quick fix Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
yes but way to hard to get everything lined up to go back together. Easier to pull it apart and do it the easy way.

x2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok for a quick fix Reply with quote

OLDveedubs wrote:
Thread Revival!

I have a dust seal that is split. The body is off the link pin pan.

Is it possible to remove the set and grub screw, lower shock bolt, sway bar and tie rod and remove the entire hub assembly with the trailing arms still attached?

More or less slide the upper and lower trailing arms out of the beam.

Or am I taking apart the brakes, hub, king/link pin setup, all of the above, just to replace the seal?

Thanks!

This won't be that easy, but it won't be very hard. The upper and lower trailing arms have a slightly different angle on the torsion bars, when you get the king and link pins assembly removed and pull the arms out a little you will see the difference in angle. That is why you cannot pull everything together and put it back together.

You can remove the wheel, then the drum, then unbolt the backing plate and hang it from a wire wrapped around the tab on the body for the brake hose. You won't have to crack a brake line or even bleed the brakes when done. Keep the bearings covered so they stay clean the don't push the brake pedal after the drum is removed or you will blow the wheel cylinder.

Now pop the tie rod and and remove the 2 link pin pinch bolts. Next you can slide the king and link pin assembly out as a unit. Take care to watch the shims between the link pins and the trailing arms so you can put them back on the proper link pin (make sure they don't go dropping in a pile as you pull the assembly.) As you pull the link pins the lower arm will want to drop a some, but with little force, while the upper arm is resting on the bump stop. Last, you just remove the lock nuts and grub screws holding the trailing arm to the torsion bars and pull the trailing arm out.

As long as you don't find more messed up parts it is really not hard to do. Smile
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it ok for a quick fix Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys!

The seal was brand new two years ago when I rebuilt the pan. Have been working on the body in the meantime and cleaning up the pan yesterday found the split seal. When I was working on the body the pan often spent time in the sun, between that and the grease I'm sure that's why it perished.

Appreciate the insight, I will do it the right way and avoid the major headaches. Although a pain, at least I found it before the body goes back on as that would only complicate it further.
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: