Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help: Engine lurching rearward!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

Again I seek your help on a new '65 Beetle just purchased for my son. It is surprising us each day with more and more idiosyncrasies...tis an old Bug I guess.

So today's mystery is the engine lurching. We noticed this behavior when the large pulley tin was "popping" out of place. With the deck lid opened we observe the engine lurching sharply rearward when taking off. This does not look good. This is not the standard torque twist but rather the engine in whole dipping back. See the 2 videos below to witness.

The front trans mount doesn't look great but doesn't show any major looseness. It is my likely suspect but before I get into the tear down of the engine and trans to replace the mounts, I wanted to get some feedback on other potentials to investigate.

Thank you in advance! More idiosyncrasies to follow...I'm sure.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxB9n0UOE4GDMVU5YUxJWUxuVnc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxB9n0UOE4GDRlRnSmJfdXVkd2c
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

Looks normal to me, but it's moving about 2x what it should

Engine mounts are probably turned soft from oil soak, age, ect.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

Replace all three tranny mounts, easy fix once the engine is out.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

We can guess. OR, you can crawl under the car and diagnose it. Light pressure from a large pry bar or a floor jack applied near the transaxle mounts will easily show you the condition of the mounts.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

Replace those three mounts now!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

Bad mounts ... One on front of transaxle specially.... They need to be replaced...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
... One on front of transaxle specially.... They need to be replaced...Dale

Do a few more clutch dumps per vids & you'll also be R&Ring a broken transaxle nose cone.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

See...I knew I could trust you guys for some solid feedback! Very Happy

I guess this was too easy for you....I suspected bad mounts and visually they look like crap. Definitely planning on replacing all 3 which will allow for some other idiosyncrasy corrections as well.

Q-Dog, could advice on the pry bar test but at this point, between the visual, the video and the fact these are most likely from 1965...I am just going for the re-mount!

Again - THANK YOU ALL!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

While you have the transaxle out to replace the 3 mounts I would also replace the spring plate grommets in the ends of the torsion housings. Might as well also replace the Bowden tube while your in there.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

Nice looking Bug btw!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help: Engine lurching rearward! Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
While you have the transaxle out to replace the 3 mounts I would also replace the spring plate grommets in the ends of the torsion housings. Might as well also replace the Bowden tube while your in there.

vwracerdave....all 3 tranny mounts replaced...plus some new shocks and bump stops...

what a mess it was in there! You have to love buying an old bug someone else tooled on with little regard for doing things right...I have repeated the term "Mickey Moused" alot going through the paces to get the motor dropped and to the transmission.

spring plates are next...i have to reset the height anyhow...they lowered via some torsion bar notches moves but have it unbalanced and too low...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: