Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

I recently got exposed to photos of supposedly original Syncro 16" joker campers.

I have seen a ton of Syncro 14" high roof, Syncro 14" pop top.

But an original 16" joker Westfalia poptop is extreme to me.

Let me know if you have any infos.

Thank''s

-GREG

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel

Last edited by syncrogreg on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

about 1500 were made in 16"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:

That cant be so...

There were made 2138 syncro16's in total. I would guess that less than 20 were full camper Westfalias, some with pop top and some with high top.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
ZsZ wrote:

That cant be so...

There were made 2138 syncro16's in total. I would guess that less than 20 were full camper Westfalias, some with pop top and some with high top.

Then the nrs are mixed in my head
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

Plus one "Kasten" that I know of! Very Happy

http://www.syncronauts.org.uk/syncro-technical/syncro-history/the-syncro-story-2

MsTaboo says maybe 6 were built as Jokers. She just happens to own one!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541682
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

The ones I know of (although I cannot guarantee they are all original) are:

Ms Taboo's white hightop (sold on as far as I know).

One green (metallic, obviously not an original color) pop top with "syncro" lower stripes and german plates

One white pop top with original Westfalia stripes

One white pop top with lower "syncro" stripes (could be the same as above)

One beige pop top with 4wd decals on front doors

One beige hightop with "Club Joker" decals and "Dakar" decals

One blue pop top with "Dakar" decals

One taubengrau with "Joker" decals

One red pop top with "Joker" decals and stripes

I could try to upload pics of the ones I know of, and maybe someone could confirm if they are in fact real.

Last edited by OddN on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

Here they are:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone else?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
Here they are:

I think this one is a poptop conversion?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

Going off topic here as it is not the "Joker".

Wasn't the "ATLANTIC" a Syncro 16 Westfalia? There were 20 of those built, one was wrecked that I've heard of.

The "ATLANTIC" was defined by a more aerodynamic cargo box. I think the green one in the images has that cargo box. They also have a decal across the front left side below the windsheild that says "Atlantic". Double-glazed windows too.

Busman had this one for sale through his website recently from Norway.

OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Wasn't the "ATLANTIC" a Syncro 16 Westfalia? There were 20 of those built, one was wrecked that I've heard of.

The "ATLANTIC" was defined by a more aerodynamic cargo box. I think the green one in the images has that cargo box. They also have a decal across the front left side below the windsheild that says "Atlantic". Double-glazed windows too.

Busman had this one for sale through his website recently from Norway.

I have never seen a 16 inch Atlantic. Im very familiar with the one in your pic from the norwegian vwbus forum. The aerodynamic roof was standard on all California and Atlantic models, but you could order the regular cargo box as an extra.

My own syncro 16 Multivan replica has that roof front. It started out as a regular14 inch syncro with original sun roof. So when i converted it to pop top I needed to source the Atlantic roof front:

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

OddN wrote:

I have never seen a 16 inch Atlantic. Im very familiar with the one in your pic from the norwegian vwbus forum. The aerodynamic roof was standard on all California and Atlantic models, but you could order the regular cargo box as an extra.

I could definitely be mistaken! I thought that I had read somewhere that the Syncro "Atlantics" were 16"! I almost bought that one, but decided against it as it was 1-in 20 built and I wanted one that was not that "rare"!
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

some numbers on 80-90:
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144133&sid=bf2237fe444d7a15bcc9ee9d27d6fa2e
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

Ms. Taboo's white high-top has moved south of the border (Canadian) to reside at my house. It is indeed a factory Westy 16. I also know of a blue and white high-top 16 that is somewhere on the East Coast, I was looking to buy it when the Taboo machine came on the market.

I also saw an orange one from the Netherlands on a website that I think was a factory Westy pop-top.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!

Last edited by Microbusdeluxe on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
OddN wrote:

I could definitely be mistaken! I thought that I had read somewhere that the Syncro "Atlantics" were 16"! I almost bought that one, but decided against it as it was 1-in 20 built and I wanted one that was not that "rare"!

Nope, just 14". The Atlantic was a cooler weather version of the California. That gray one has "postal flares" on the front.
Most 16" went into the military and construction trades. Very few outfitted as campers.

Sadly I had to sell mine. Microbusdelux now owns it.
Here's a bit more info:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544479&highlight=syncro

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

OddN wrote:
Here they are:

This one is owned by a friend in NorCal and is 'certified'. He has taken it to SyncroFest a few times.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
OddN wrote:
Here they are:

I think this one is a poptop conversion?

Allright, but is it an original 16 inch, only not a Westy then?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

OddN wrote:

Allright, but is it an original 16 inch, only not a Westy then?

Definitely a 16", but I thought he had told me the previous owner put in all the camper stuff

https://www.facebook.com/Maximum-100kmh-673250492774715/?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

I can't find his samba user name at the moment, but we met up in Southern Utah the very first of this year and drove some dirt roads Smile
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

tangent,
this 16" syncro shows the body crease damage just forward of the rear shock tower.

crease discussion here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=80
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

The blue poptop in pictured above is owned by Rob Baetsen of the Netherlands. It started it's life as a 16" Caravelle and was converted to a westfalia by Rob.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen Westfalia Joker 16" original does this exist? Reply with quote

Syncrozilla wrote:
The blue poptop in pictured above is owned by Rob Baetsen of the Netherlands. It started it's life as a 16" Caravelle and was converted to a westfalia by Rob.

Thanks for the update.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: