Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet Greta, a 1976 Westy. Let's make her beautiful again!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't. I was just going to drill out mine, get the unit powder coated and reinstall them. There is some scuffing on the tag, but minor enough to be getting on with. I wonder if anyone refurbs existing tags?

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Typenschild-AHK-Oldtimer-An...46057337c3

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez. Has it really been since October that I last posted here? Bad form.

So in the intervening months, I have been fighting my poor idle condition which I've made both better and worse with swapping injectors and harnesses and S-boots, replacing phenolic spacers and the cold start valve gasket, hunting for vacuum leaks, ignoring the problem, adjusting the timing and valves, rebuilding distributors, hunting for vacuum leaks again, ordering seals and waiting for slow suppliers, and so on.

Hopefully this isn't speaking too soon, but I think I've spiraled down to the core problem (or at least fixed enough problems along the way that this is that last critical one). The big clue was discovering that the floor of my AFM damper chamber was scored to the point of sticking the flap at certain positions, given me too much or too little fuel about 99% of the time. It got worse and worse over time to the point of affecting driving at all RPM. Pretty miserable all around.

I swapped in a spare AFM (set very rich at the moment) as well as replacing my ECU to match the 77 harness I have in there now. What a difference! I have a decent idle as well as good power through acceleration. The AFM needs tuning so I'm not completely finished, but certainly, I can see the finish line.

Let's hope I don't screw this up somehow.

cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Nokians look like winter tyres,the tread pattern and grooves or slits are excellent for driving on ice or snow.
Winter tyres tend to have a softer compound and can be a bit noisey.

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also handle great in the rain and on wet roads here in the Pacific NW which I why I have them. Noise wise, I haven't had any issues. In fact they are leaps and bounds better than the Yokohamas that I had on there previously.

cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter tyres perform better than summer tyres below 6 degrees centigrade.
I have 2 sets of tyres for my Volvo,some 16" winter tyres which are studded (continentals) and have 18" summer tyres (Michelins).

Its mid winter here in Sweden and everybody uses either studded or just standard winter tyres.

10 years ago I bought a bus in mid winter and drove it over a heavily snowed and iced up mountain pass to get home.It drove very well on ice and snow.It had winter tyres like you have,very impressive.

My Westy doesnt have winter tyres because she is only used when the snow is gone.
She is sleeping now in her heated garage...all be it with a motor...Sad

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past several years, I've been griping to anyone that will list about how my garage and how it's too small for all the VW related stuff I do. I have a sandblasting setup, powder coating setup, workbench, four 4'x2' free standing shelves, a large compressor, a toolchest, a drill press, trash and recycling cans, a freezer. I've restored a 69 Beetle in it, rebuilt my bus' engine it, done oil changes on about 5 different vehicles and countless other maintenance it.

It was 400 sq feet crammed to the gills and heavily utilized. And now it's going away. My wife and I are putting our house up for sale in about a month. Given that houses don't stay for sale in this area unless there is something hugely wrong with them, I expect to be without a garage by early April.

*sniff*

I would like to publicly apologize for anything bad I've ever said about my garage. I'm sure we will both move on just fine, but as I join the ranks of those that do their vehicular maintenance out of doors and in all kinds of weather and temperatures, I will often think kindly of her. She will be missed dearly.

In Memoriam...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Greta, a 1976 Westy. Let's make her beautiful again! Reply with quote

So it's been a long, long time since I've updated this thread and in that time, there has been considerable work going on with Greta, but a couple weeks ago I had another bus fall into my lap somewhat unexpectedly so it was time to sell on Greta. Xevin bought her and I'm sure will have loads of fun with her. Feel free to continue this thread as your own, Xevin, and well wishes to Greta in her new life!

I momentarily owned three buses!

The new owner:

Going...

going...

gone!

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Greta, a 1976 Westy. Let's make her beautiful again! Reply with quote

Just picked up this girl today. PO said its a newly rebuilt Porshe motor (Porsche). Somebody got that joke Laughing

Hello Greta!

Jokes aside, here is the story. Ronin10 mentioned something in a thread last week that he was about to procure a 76 Sage Westfalia and he would have to sell Greta. I thought to myself, that's a nice camper. No more then 30 minutes later he text me to see if I knew someone in PDX looking for a bus. To which I replied ME!
I was sort of joking but I would love to have a late bay for Xatie to enjoy. She is after all the reason I got a bus in the first place.

Ronin10 giving Xatie the finer points of driving Greta.

Plus I know the history and flaws with this bus. Let me put it this way. I know the body flaws. And I know the care, love, and meticulous work Ronin10 has done mechanically to this Bus. Thought it would be great to keep this bus in the circle of friends in the Pacific North West. After all he's one of the first GSBG brothers I met at my first bus gathering in Seattle. Just so you know Ronin10 is a very talented engineer/scientist/ smarty pants, that's helps develop very very cutting edge products you all use. Dude is pretty bad ass and really down to earth. Ok if your still reading and I haven't lost you. On to Greta.

Greta has an idling issues when cold. With that WebCam 107i cam It reminds
me of a big block Chevy.

Link

But the idling issue isn't awful. It makes up for it on the hills. Greta is sweet to drive with tons of torque.

Climbing hills and passing fools Cool

Ronin10 even hooked me up with a new dash, yards of plaid fabric, a new sliding door, Windows, and all the little goodies he was going to install on Greta. That dude is the real deal.

Made it home. Since Xatie is the reason I got into busin' thought it would be nice for her to have her own bus. Plus she doesn't have to hear my dumb ass snore in the middle of the night. She can have her own room Laughing and Rusty the 72 Campmobile digs blonde German chicks. (I didn't say fat Wink )

I'm hoping I can dial in the interior so Xatie digs it.
I'll start by finding some Vanagon seats. Cheers everyone!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked

Last edited by Xevin on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Greta, a 1976 Westy. Let's make her beautiful again! Reply with quote

Good gosh took you two long enough...congrats to both of you for the sale!!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Greta, a 1976 Westy. Let's make her beautiful again! Reply with quote

Congrats! Make sure you thank your lucky stars for someone like Xatie who shares your likes and fun times. Cool

See you twi this July?? Razz
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Greta, a 1976 Westy. Let's make her beautiful again! Reply with quote

Nice. When you sent me the link - I didn't look at it for a couple of days as it made no scence with your 4th of July cheers - So I thought you were drunk again. Laughing

So yesterday at my cuz house bbq - I look up at Stewy and say - oh Keven bought Andrews bus?!? Stews all duh like 2 weeks ago.

Sorry for the late accolades for you and Xatie. Cool

Dancing Applause Dancing Applause

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Greta, a 1976 Westy. Let's make her beautiful again! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I'm hoping I can dial in the interior so Xatie digs it.
I'll start by finding some Vanagon seats. Cheers everyone!

Exclamation Just remember that Greta has the early style seat rails, the later bays switched seat rails (somewhere in the late 1976 model year) and match the Vanagon seats. Exclamation

I do have that Vanagon style swivel seat base on the shelf at home if you want it. It needs to be blasted and painted, but would allow you to drop in a Vanagon passenger seat straight away. When I was considering this, to do the driver's seat, I was going to get another swivel base, cut the support plate from a scrapyard Vanagon and weld it into Greta, bolt in the swivel plate, and you're ready for Vanagon seats. Another thing too...you probably want Vanagon Westy seats, they sit at a different height than the standard Vanagon seats. And lastly, if you have the coin, these are awesome if you want to retain that stock look.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: