Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear PVC cot
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: rear PVC cot Reply with quote

Inspired by the cot that Needlenoddlenoo put together on his camper build, I decided to give it a try and set one up for my 5 year old. She's a small fry. I set mine up primarily using 1inch sch40 pvc except for the longest spans, in which I used 1 1/2 inch. The 1 1/2 inch conveniently slips tightly over 1 inch couplings. I boneheaded one of my cuts, so you can see I had to unnecessarily couple a bit of 1 1/2 inch pipe together on the rear long span. The inner demensions are 18 x 50. That should be plenty for her and some room to grow. I could have brought it out towards the rear door another inch, but the rear feet sit nicely on the rear board where it currently is. Here is the composition of the structure.

(1) 1 1/2" x 10' sch40 pvc pipe
-A seat side span length - 50 1/2"
-B tailgate side span length - 43 1/2"

(2) 1" x 10' sch40 pvc pipe
-C (4) vertical legs under side windows- 16"
-D (2) horizontal leg supports - 11"
-E (2) vertical rear legs - 17"
-F (2) longer head/foot pipe - 11"
-G (2) shorter head/foot pipe - 5 1/4"
-H (6) 1" T's

(10) 1" elbows

(1) coupler connectors - 2"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With just the standard cushion underneath, there is a lot of clearance. I believe it was 14 inches. We use an extra 2" foam pad, so we ironically get a foot (12 inches) of clearance to the bottom of the pvc bed.

If I remove the rear two legs, I can still lift the rear table. Something I seldom do, but nice that the functionality is there. I haven't glued any of the pipe yet, but I think it will be wise to leave quite a few spots unglued. I plan on leaving all of the vertical connections unglued as well as where the 1 1/2 inch pipe slips over the 1 inch couplers.

I'm working on the fabric now. I've got some duck-cloth(like canvas) that I'm using. I'm going to set it up sort of like a trampoline, where I'll string the edges of the duck cloth out towards the pipe. I'm not sure if I'm going slip wood dowels in the edges of the bed mat or use grommets. I'm leaning towards some dowels. More to come.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93

Last edited by Joshwa on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Needlenoddlenoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: rear PVC cot Reply with quote

Awesome, I'm sorry I wasn't as detailed as you when I did the build, that's very well put together and a great presentation, so glad my tinkering inspired someone.
Ivan

The Tortuga (99 Eurovan)
Elsie (87 vanagon ) sold
Luna -RIP.
Sunny the boxer
Leland,Sawyer,,Gallagher
Wife and I
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rear PVC cot Reply with quote

I've finished the fabric part of the cot. Duck cloth with looped ends holding old fiberglass tent poles along each edge. I used cable ties to pull the poles in the fabric towards the pvc pipe. I can take out slack as the fabric stretches. I can top it with a blanket or short inflatable mattress. This is going to be in use this weekend. Hopefully version 1 is good enough.

Last edited by Joshwa on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: rear PVC cot Reply with quote

Reminds me of a PVC cot I built last summer for the OTHER end of our Eurovan. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: rear PVC cot Reply with quote

The cot worked out great on our 4 days of camping at Ft Stevens on the NW tip of Oregon. Not just for getting the kid up and out of the main bed, but also to toss stuff onto when we were changing the bed back to a seat. I'm sure you are all familiar with the shuffling of items from front to rear. Especially when you have an extra foam pad to fold up and tuck under all the gear that goes to the rear.

Last edited by Joshwa on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: rear PVC cot Reply with quote

Brilliant -- and thanks for the cut list too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: