Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'82 Vanagon Diesel Engine to Transmission bolt/stud?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: '82 Vanagon Diesel Engine to Transmission bolt/stud? Reply with quote

First Obiwan, I have used the search. This is a question deep in the recesses of an experienced jedi.

Hello! I'm working on my conversion build, and I'm trying to obtain information about a particular part.

I have an 1z/AHU engine that I'm using for an mTDI install, and I have a DK transmission with all the bits and what not on it (DV BH, DV tranny mount, regeared, etc.)

I'm now stuck trying to obtain the part/number, as I'm documenting this for others on my conversion site, or at least the correct determined size.

I've used http://etka.cc/vw/main_group/markt/USA/modell/VA/y...t/4/lang/e hoping to find the correct part/place there, but nothing stood out. I'm not sure if it's a bolt or a stud. Or if all 7 are the same length or of difference sizes.

There's been a few people who think they remember the part, but no for sure "this is exactly it" responses. Looking for certainty.

There's 7 bolts, two towards the starter motor the other 5 going around towards the bottom of the transmission.

Yes, I could take out my existing tranny/engine in my diesel van and use those bolts/studs, but then I wouldn't be able to drive it or document it Wink

I'm also trying to prepare this all in advance to hopefully mitigate the down-time during the conversion installation of the engine & transmission, IC, etc.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: 82' Vanagon Diesel Engine to Transmission bolt/stud? Reply with quote

No studs. Two bell housing bolts that hold the starter are longer. I believe the majority are 12mm high grade and there maybe a few 10mm ones that connect to the pan. I am not where I can look them up for a few days.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 82' Vanagon Diesel Engine to Transmission bolt/stud? Reply with quote

All bolts, no studs. ETKA is both inaccurate and incomplete on this. The starter bolts are in:
Electrical Systems, Starter and Single Parts, diesel eng.

M12 x 1,75 x 122mm, N 040 350 1, two of those, the one on the clutch slave
has no washer.
On the other side of starter washer is:

A13 x 24 x2,5 , N 011 531 7

For the rest of the block. in Engine, Clutch, look under cylinder block with pistons, oil sump

Then next 2 are:

M12 x 1,75 x 80mm, N 010 464 4, both with same washer as above.

At bottom of block,

M12 x 1,75 x 100mm, N 010 458 2, washer same as above, nut:

M12 x 1,75, N 011 030 4

Two bolts from bellhousing to oil pan (never found those in ETKA):

M10 x 1,5 x 65mm, N 010 465 9, both with washers:

A10,5 x 21 x 2, N 011 527 11
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 82' Vanagon Diesel Engine to Transmission bolt/stud? Reply with quote

You Sir, are a saint. Thank you so much for the information!

syncroserge wrote:
All bolts, no studs. ETKA is both inaccurate and incomplete on this. The starter bolts are in:
Electrical Systems, Starter and Single Parts, diesel eng.

M12 x 1,75 x 122mm, N 040 350 1, two of those, the one on the clutch slave
has no washer.
On the other side of starter washer is:

A13 x 24 x2,5 , N 011 531 7

For the rest of the block. in Engine, Clutch, look under cylinder block with pistons, oil sump

Then next 2 are:

M12 x 1,75 x 80mm, N 010 464 4, both with same washer as above.

At bottom of block,

M12 x 1,75 x 100mm, N 010 458 2, washer same as above, nut:

M12 x 1,75, N 011 030 4

Two bolts from bellhousing to oil pan (never found those in ETKA):

M10 x 1,5 x 65mm, N 010 465 9, both with washers:

A10,5 x 21 x 2, N 011 527 11

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 82' Vanagon Diesel Engine to Transmission bolt/stud? Reply with quote

For those on the other side of the pond (Europe) you have the option of;

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-d-td-engine-to-bell-housing-bolt-kit.html
rallyview
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 82' Vanagon Diesel Engine to Transmission bolt/stud? Reply with quote

Anyone have a good source for these bolts?

Maybe it's just trying to search catalogs on this phone but no one seems to have these available.

Has anyone switched these to hex socket cap style bolts ?

(2) of the ones I pulled out of this 8v gas conversion were cheap socket cap style (3) were standard bolts with no washers. The remaining bolts were missing. Probably not a good sign.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: