Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fair price?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

It looks good in the pictures....but what about up close?

Sure, he says he'll fix it....why hasn't he? Just too busy? Fed up? Moved on from Vanagon love affair?

The engine notwithstanding....does he have receipts for all the stuff he said has been replaced?

4 tires? $500
Brakes all around? $500
Carat springs? $150
Exhaust- $500
Thule bars and basket- $300
Audio system- $300

Those prices are a guess but that's easily 1/2 the asking price of the Van. So long as the rest of the Van checks out I'd offer $2000. You're planning an engine conversion anyway aren't you? Even if the transmission is garbage a good used one is $500.

like danfromsyr said....rust free in the NE USA is going to command a premium. Go with cash in your hand and with a truck/trailer and show him you're ready to take it. Another option is to tell him what you'd be willing to pay if he fixed it.

I wouldn't walk away just yet. I've seen worse looking Vans for more money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

Sure, he says he'll fix it....why hasn't he? Just too busy? Fed up? Moved on from Vanagon love affair?

The engine notwithstanding....does he have receipts for all the stuff he said has been replaced?

4 tires? $500
Brakes all around? $500
Carat springs? $150
Exhaust- $500
Thule bars and basket- $300
Audio system- $300

Those prices are a guess but that's easily 1/2 the asking price of the Van. So long as the rest of the Van checks out I'd offer $2000. You're planning an engine conversion anyway aren't you? Even if the transmission is garbage a good used one is $500.

like danfromsyr said....rust free in the NE USA is going to command a premium. Go with cash in your hand and with a truck/trailer and show him you're ready to take it. Another option is to tell him what you'd be willing to pay if he fixed it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

General maintenance is not additive for dollar value. This is where most sellers go off the reservation trying to calculate what they put in to it recently as adding inherent value. When buying a vehicle one expects the brake to work, if they do not you deduct value. They expect the engine to work, if it does not, deduct some money. A new exhaust means little if the engine does not run. I agree that money and work into a vehicle can add value, but only if you have gone the distance, done the full monty and the buyer can drive off in it. The less a prior owner has done is better to me as I trust my work. I have seen some really questionable stuff done by previous owners depicted here. .
intro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

Up close, it's not as great as in the photos, but still good.

Clear coat peeling in one spot, bad Bondo repair down by the rear quarter panel,
rust forming around tailgate, a little at the windshield, cracked bumper endcap in front, cracked grille with 3 small holes.

I'm hoping he'll reconsider my offer and maybe meet me halfway. His posted price is just too high in my opinion. I dunno. I'm thinking about it.

I didn't ask about the receipts, but it seemed like there was a lot of unfinished work to do (which I'm ok with if it drives the price down). When I asked if the fuel lines had ever been changed he produced a box with said items and said he had never gotten around to it.

And yeah, as Greebly is saying, all these items just seem like a way to put "lipstick on a pig" as they say, all of that should be working on a vehicle you are selling anyway. As far as I'm concerned, keep the giant yakima rack
and sell that separately on your own, it has no bearing on the price I should pay for the vehicle. My understanding is rule 1 when selling a used car is new rubber.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

I do often say
Danfromsyr wrote:
The cheapest thing in a classic VW is the loose nut behind the steering wheel.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

compare it to this ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1945751

which is a avg market price for a decent van with issues that does run but needs service/repair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porky79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
ok since you've passed on it, was it this one?
if so I'd pay $2500 in a instant.. but I have a different scale of economy on what a vanagon is and needs.. to me the body work is the $$$ not so much the engine work

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/5665102701.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Assuming the pics posted are in fact the van you are considering, why are you trying to cheap out? Can you post any other pics? My old eyes can't see any rust on this in the Craigslist pics. You have much more than a chassis worth only "scrap value". You have the engine and trans also. Say What?? 500 bucks on the West Coast? hahahaaaa.. yeah right...

danfromsyr wrote:
compare it to this ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1945751

which is a avg market price for a decent van with issues that does run but needs service/repair.

Look at the rust on that van. Poopoo. If you don't intend to spend money on brakes, tires, engine and possible clutch or trans maintenance then cough up the cash for a better van.

uncommonvw wrote:
I'd offer $2000. Go with cash in your hand and with a truck/trailer and show him you're ready to take it.

Look everywhere for rust and work on 2 grand. If you find any serious rust you may want to pass. If your budget is $1000 then you will likely end up with a POS. Maybe buy a toyota.. ?

While this is unpleasant, it is a great learning experience, so I hope I can contribute something useful for next guy.
itskyle wrote:
"It's ugly, but it gets you there." Nuff said. Kyle

"The Precious" 79 CA Bay Window BUS runnin hot @ 75 or 80
Vincent ~ 84 Vanagon GL 95% Original
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

When I was in the service, I bought a 1970 Ford truck for a good price... it ran like crap. Previous owner told me it overheated. It took me a lot of time to finally figure out all the hydraulic lifter valves had varnished stuck from the severely overheated oil. Because I had only a rudimentary knowledge of mechanics at that age, I really spent a lot of time and money throwing engine management parts at it before understanding about the lifters. Then I had no time or money left to repair the extremely loose front end.

I wound up selling it to the base auto shop manager for more than $1000 less than what I had in it... I was not able to drive my truck home when I transferred. I did not see most of mid-America from Chicago to Los Angeles on leave as a result of this blunder.

You say you're on a budget, and you also say you're planning a re-engine. Which is it, then? A re-engine is a huge expense.

Arrow Walk a away from this. There are too many red flags that have popped up in the three pages of this thread. It is complete bullshit that he didn't at least put some water in the cooling system to help you with the test drive. Obviously, he does not want you to see the whole picture. F**k that guy.

What else is he hiding?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

clean rust free (purportedly) and runs $5900.

http://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/5648717973.html

Quote:
No rust, ready to go, in very good condition. 7 passenger with rear seats that completely fold down and middle seats that can be removed for extra cargo space. This van could also be easily converted into a camper. Lots of new parts, clean title, great investment and fun to drive! can be seen and driven at Johns Car Corner in Westminster, VT 05158. (802) 722-3180

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

intro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

With a 6 cylinder engine. Laughing
uncommonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

intro wrote:
Up close, it's not as great as in the photos, but still good.

Clear coat peeling in one spot, bad Bondo repair down by the rear quarter panel,
rust forming around tailgate, a little at the windshield, cracked bumper endcap in front, cracked grille with 3 small holes.

I'm hoping he'll reconsider my offer and maybe meet me halfway. His posted price is just too high in my opinion. I dunno. I'm thinking about it.

I didn't ask about the receipts, but it seemed like there was a lot of unfinished work to do (which I'm ok with if it drives the price down). When I asked if the fuel lines had ever been changed he produced a box with said items and said he had never gotten around to it.

And yeah, as Greebly is saying, all these items just seem like a way to put "lipstick on a pig" as they say, all of that should be working on a vehicle you are selling anyway. As far as I'm concerned, keep the giant yakima rack
and sell that separately on your own, it has no bearing on the price I should pay for the vehicle. My understanding is rule 1 when selling a used car is new rubber.

You must keep in mind that this vehicle is 30 years old and $2900 obo...It's going to have issues. If it didn't the price would easily be 2-3 times higher.

The "lipstick on a pig" comment is funny. I think it's a safe bet that all these new parts were put on before the overheating issue. That's why you should ask for receipts. They will have a date on them and tell you how "new" they are. While things like engine, transmission, brakes, tires, etc...should be working on a vehicle you're selling/buying, expecting them to be new or nearly new is asking a little much at this price point. I've sold quite a few cars and have never replaced functioning parts with new parts "just because" or without a price adjustment. I sure wouldn't shell out $500+ for new rubber if the tires were in good condition. I'd actually prefer to see used rubber that could point to any alignment issues.

While some of the accessories may not be to your taste they are of some value. You can try to negotiate these things out of the deal to lower the price. The roof bars/rack are very handy for a tin-top.

You need to be honest with yourself with what you want and what you're willing to spend. If you're looking for something cheap you're going to have to make a few sacrifices and you're going to have to roll up your sleeves or open your wallet to compensate for them. If something makes you feel uneasy about this van or the seller keep looking.
intro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

I've realized maybe I was being too cheap. We're still talking but I may have missed the boat. He has a couple of people coming to see it today.

I am willing to get my hands dirty. Looking around now I guess I just thought the market for regular 7 passenger tin-tops was a little different than the present reality. Maybe I should keep my search to the winter months.

Re: the cost of upgrading the motor, I see it as potentially spending $300 for new gaskets, or $1100 for new WBX heads, or around $1500-$2000 for the inline 4 I would like, so it's not either/or for me, just the cheaper I can get a Van with potential problems the better. The last two Vanagons I had been interested in had messed up transmissions, and here I can't even check if it stays in gear.
intro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

Well, lesson learned. Shouldn't have slept on the $2K offer, and taken it on the spot. By the time I worked up from $1000 to $1500 and then $2K he had a bunch of others lined up. He was cool enough to call me just now and told me there was a mechanic there offering $2500 to give me a shot at it. I declined.

So where are those California $500 Vanagons at?
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

Why would he call you if he had someone offer more than you? It is skeezy and several here have mentioned this guy is bogus in how he is dealing. Never get invested in buying a vehicle. You will be taken advantage of.
intro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

Absolutely.
intro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

Ok, so this is pretty interesting.

Much like Roz from Monsters Inc., I'm always watching Craigslist, just in case I happen to see a Vanagon that finally fits the bill for my son and I.

It's now 2 years later and I come across a tin-top van for 3K. Appears to look very much like the original vehicle in this thread -Same color, wheels, Yakima basket, Thule bars. The difference is it now has truck mirrors and a ladder on the side to get up to the basket. Other differences: there is no longer a grille, the interior has been pulled and replaced by a wood floor and a folding rear seat out of an older Westfalia, and the sliding door does not seem to be functioning very well.

When I get there to look at it I start thinking, this has to be the same van so I ask the seller if he was the one who picked it up in such and such place from so and so. He tells me his friend was the one who owned it and then he ended up with it, had plans to convert it to a camper and then stopped. He says he only drove it for 2 weeks, and it was parked 4 months ago.

Because the van still has the very same issue with the overheating and the coolant, I had to press him for more info. Running the Vin produced no sale or title information on the free vin checks online, and he, unfortunately, did not have a title, but still has it registered. We poked in the glove box and he was surprised to find some documentation with the so and so I mentioned earlier's name on it. Lo and behold-The very same van.

It still can't be test driven, the battery is dead. Rust has been addressed in a couple of spots, and there is a tiny rust spot under the rubber seal on the rear windshield that will involve removing the glass to get to it. The underside has been coated since I last saw it, but I didn't notice any soft spots pressing down. It is pretty rust free.

My plan remains the same, to put an ABA with a crossflow head in it. Hopefully, I can still track down all the diesel components but I'm ok with taking a year to make this happen. I have enough other projects at the moment. We've settled at $2500, which is exactly what was being asked for it the last time I passed on it. The difference is money is a bit better now and I have a couple of more years experience wrenching (mk4: 1st clutch job, full suspension refresh. V6 Passat: Valve cover gasket job & cam seals, timing belt) so I feel more comfortable tackling this.

The seller seems like a good kid. He took the ad down and is working with me on a time to come back with the money and set up a tow with AAA (Sunday and a holiday today made it hard to get the full amount at the ATM) . He's also letting me borrow his plates so I don't have to register it first. AAA can be tricky with the free tows.

The only odd thing I would say is that he really seems to be acting like he doesn't know much about the van apart from the camper style conversions he's done, but I got ahold of the seller I had been in negotiations with 2 years ago and he remembered giving the buyer a title and he also said it was a younger kid in a mk1 rabbit or cabriolet, which this kid happens to have. Is this a red flag? He made every effort to convince me that he was not the one that bought it before. I can't see why it would be important to not be truthful about that.

Any way. To me it's feeling like I'm getting a second chance here, I always regretted not picking it up, and I think my son did too. Perhaps I'm meant to find this van again.

Does anyone have any thoughts? This thread was super helpful for me before. I honestly don't see too many good vans go up at a reasonable price in the northeast. This seems like a good shell to start with.

Any nightmare regret scenarios I should watch out for? I'll take a flashlight with me this time and spend more time looking it over. I forgot to check for rust under the rug by the footwell and where the seatbelt bolts in.

Also, can anyone give me an idea how hard it is to find additional Westfalia or weekender interior pieces on their own? Is it a matter of finding a whole parts van?

Thanks folks! VW Logo
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

I wonder what is under that new under coating. Let this one go. Where are you located?
intro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I wonder what is under that new under coating. Let this one go. Where are you located?

It may have been preventative. The last time I saw the van 2 years ago it was solid underneath. I can't imagine too much could have happened since. Especially if it hasn't been driven much, which is how it looks.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

DO NOT buy a motor vehicle without a title if you can't afford to lose your money, your time, your faith in humanity and a fight with the DMV.

Good luck.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fair price? Reply with quote

Quote:
...he, unfortunately, did not have a title, but still has it registered.

I doubt the state issued a registration w/o the new owner having title.

If he lost it he can get a duplicate (4 bucks in my state).

But aside from that - this sounds like a lot of $$$ and heartache in your future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: