Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Now two years later… (July 2018)

This thread was previously the “64 Kombi partial restore” but it evolved a bit. Smile

It all started with wanting to drive this thing and keeping the cost down. I got a little carried away and it stretched into a two year complete restoration. I enjoyed almost every minute of it. You really need to love the work to undertake a restoration. Ended up with a bus I never expected to ever own. Currently still have a lot of bolt on bits to get perfect and the camper interior to install but we are now enjoying the hell out of it. Smile

Found a 64 kombi 20 or maybe 25 years ago. Started to restore it and then priorities got in the way. A few times every year I look at it and wish I had the time... No sure I have the time now but I am doing it anyway Smile

Originally the goal was a full restoration but over the years I have realized all I want to do is drive it... and also preserve it. I want to drive it to work on nice days and weekends, take it to small shows/meets and do a little traveling and camping.

So the plan is to remove the rust and rebuild/replace the steel back to near factory condition. Rebuild drivetrain and suspension for the purpose of driving. Try to keep the bolt on parts original but not going to put much effort or money in things that can be changed latter.

Going to be a winter project so progress will be slow until October. Hope is to be driving it by June.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

First thing is get it movable under its own power. I drove it there so...

Put some old car tires on the 14" rims. Turns out it came new with 14" rims and my rims are in excellent condition. Thought it took 15" rims. All the tires spin and the park brake actually works on both sides.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Engine... have no idea what shape it is in except it ran. It is a H5 and if it works I will use it. Will keep an eye out for an original though.

First I removed the carburetor and dumped out some rodents food store. Opened it and cleaned. Replaced the fuel lines and vacuum lines.

Pulled the sparkplugs, surprisingly came out easy. Will need to pick up new plugs and wires tomorrow.

Starter is a problem. Battery cable bolt is rotted and loose in the solenoid. I connected a cable directly to the starter motor. Connect the solenoid trigger and then the starter cable to battery and it turns over. Inconvenient but will allow it to be started anyway.

Pulled the drain plug and nothing came out. Oil level was good. Pulled the plate off and it had a little crud. Thinking that is bad. Haha

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

If you know that motor runs, I would remove it and take all the tins off and make sure there are no rat nests and crap covering the top of the heads and cylinders. Replace the oil cooler seals as well.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Agreed, and while your that deep into the engine re-torque the heads. I've squeezed lots of life from old single ports ( I actually prefer them for their cool operational temps). Nice project
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Just trying to get it running good enough to move the it in and out off the shop. Over the winter I will remove the engine and pull the heads off to see what it needs for a rebuild. That is if the crank and block seem good.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

I don't believe that sludge is a concern, I have had cars like that before and driven the engines with no issues after doing a few extra oil changes.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

New coil, plugs and a borrowed distributor. Fuel line clogged at tank so did the hose in the gas can thing.

Runs. Actually quite well. Couldn't run it long as the gas was running out of the fuel pump and with all the sparks coming out the exhaust and such...

Going to see if I can find a fuel pump tomorrow. Would like to move it Saturday so no time to order one in.

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

I bet it was loud running open exhaust ports like that.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:

Not as loud as I thought. Fire and sparks coming out the thing was a bit much though. Especially with the gas running out the fuel pump and carb.

New pump and carb kit on its way.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

Not as loud as I thought. Fire and sparks coming out the thing was a bit much though. Especially with the gas running out the fuel pump and carb.

New pump and carb kit on its way.

all the muffling is really done with the tail pipes

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Bolted on some parts before I move it. Things are in better shape than I remembered. My bumpers are actually in decent shape. Was thinking they were junk.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Last week I decided to restore this thing over the winter and needed it movable. Our local car show was a week away and though it would be fun to put it in. Everything came together. Hubs were all free, park break worked well, got a fuel pump and carburetor kit shipped in...

Loaded it on a dolly and yesterday morning towed it 20km into town. Unloaded it on a back street. Drove it down to show and up main street and parked. That was so much fun. Lots of odd looks and lots of smiles as I went by. Think the car I was fallowing was a bit worried though. Smile

Great show, over 500 nice cars. Loads of people. Was the only split there. Two bay window campers and maybe 6 bugs all in great shape.

The old bus got a lot of attention. Everyone seemed glad it was there. And I got the Mayors choice award! Haha. Yarmouth has a great Mayor and she loved the bus.

Best comment of the day... guy after touching the bus "Hey that's real dirt!"

After the awards I started it up and drove it back to the truck. Hit second gear on a side street. Smile What a fun day.

Cant wait to start driving this.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Getting things ready to start work.

Some parts on the way. Will make a metal order soon. Getting any needed tool and supplies. Decided to media blast everything... except maybe large flat areas. Not sure how prone these are to warping.

Today I assembled some of the rotisserie. It is 1/3 of a 12 sided design that I can switch side to side. Will fit it to bus before I finish it.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Tomorrow it goes in the shop... but I may have gotten a little impatient.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

And since it is in the shop I might as well put it on jack stands... and if it's on jack stands I might as well pull the motor. Engine bay and gas tank look great.

Tins will need replacing and the thermostat has been removed. Will pull the heads and see what it needs. That's a project for when I get tired of body work

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Dropping the front beam seamed like an easy job so that's out also. Can't believe how easy it comes apart. Even the shifting linkage slid out with a few taps.

Front beam looks good. everything is quite greasy so little rust. Seems tight except the center pin. will do a full rebuild on it through the winter.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

I only planned on putting it in the shop...

3 hours later.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Some spare time after supper so out with the transmission. Had to use the 3' bar to get the big bolts out. Will rebuild the reductions and trans over winter.

day -1 was productive

ralexward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Was fun to get it this far. Now progress will involve work and time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 50

Jump to: