Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 correct seat covers (and door panels)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahara74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Replica grommets Reply with quote

No problems with melting so far. I suspect that with the heat passing through rather than on them helps. Only time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Just got my 1966 seat covers delivered to the UK direct from TMI in California, Im stoked they look amazing. Any tips on how to fit them?
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sahara74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Greetings marklee,
You can get good results by following the YouTube tutorials on VW seat upholstery. If your cushions still have their original covers, document their removal with lots of photos. I would recommend using Wolfsburg West's fiber cushions. They worked for me and are as close to OEM as you can get. Just take it slow and plan ahead. If you are reluctant, then get a pro to do them. Good Luck and shoot us some pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Hi all, here are some pics of my completed interior. I was going to order the correct 66 seat covers as well, but I got tired trying to find a nice set of 66 seat frames that weren't beat to hell. I ended up getting the scat pro-car 90 seats in beige and a early 60's rear seat cover in saddle. I did go with the period correct door cards and they look great! I'm so happy that TMI decided to start making these. TMI's saddle actually matches up nicely with the scat beige seats, it looks a little off in the pic, but it's just the crappy garage lighting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fly2kads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Congratulations, your interior turned out well!

I am SO glad TMI is making these reproductions now! I'll be ordering a set in the near future. I purchased some vinyl and a partial set of OG panels to serve as patterns, and started experimenting with a DIY method of creating the heat seaming. It works, but is not as crisp-looking as the originals. The process was quite tedious, so I will be happy to set that little project aside!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:

TMI 1966 door panels bright red (Pigalle) 19-1130-957
TMI 1966 seat covers bright red (Pigalle) 44-1136-957-057

This is correct. They will not be added to the current site because we are making a new site that should contain more pictures
Right 16-1612-957
Left 16-1613-957

On the TMI website it shows door panel part numbers
19-1130-957 for one pocket
19-1132-957 for two pockets

this is correct

Just read all 14 pages of this thread. Thank you so much for putting all the part numbers in one post. Just what I needed for my '66
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Hi guys, be very careful as the TMI 66 Beetle seat covers arent as accurate as they would have you believe. The lines heat imprinted in the rear seat backrest cover are too long,they roll over the top of the seat. the basket weave isnt identical as they claim and the skirt of the rear seat base has a stitched seam vertically from seat piping to the seat rail. The originals are one piece. At their request in February I sent my original covers from the UK at some considerable expense tome, with an admission from Mario that my covers were incorrect and they would be replaced. To date, I have had no covers remade nor my originals returned. Any correspondence from Mario has just been fobbing me off with excuses.

check the vertical lines on this original cover and compare with the TMI ones above

Just be careful. I thought I was engaging with a decent company. I havent heard from them since April....
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Hmm. Interesting. I believe even before the 66 seat covers went into production Mario acknowledged that the basket weave would not be an exact match for the original. When I received my covers which were among the first delivered I and others alerted Mario to the heat seam issue on the rear seat backrest and I thought that had been corrected. I believe someone posted in this thread pictures of corrected backrests. Also, on my seat covers the rear seat base is one piece, without a stitch seam. It seems odd that they now are being produced with the heat seams back to rolling over the top of the seat back and the seat base with a stitched seam in the middle.

I know in the past Mario has always been very good at trying to address issues with the covers and very quick to respond to messages or posts here in the forums, but like you I have attempted to contact him since since about April but no response. Not sure what's up. Hopefully we'll hear from Mario soon.

marklee wrote:
Hi guys, be very careful as the TMI 66 Beetle seat covers arent as accurate as they would have you believe. The lines heat imprinted in the rear seat backrest cover are too long,they roll over the top of the seat. the basket weave isnt identical as they claim and the skirt of the rear seat base has a stitched seam vertically from seat piping to the seat rail. The originals are one piece. At their request in February I sent my original covers from the UK at some considerable expense tome, with an admission from Mario that my covers were incorrect and they would be replaced. To date, I have had no covers remade nor my originals returned. Any correspondence from Mario has just been fobbing me off with excuses.

check the vertical lines on this original cover and compare with the TMI ones above

Just be careful. I thought I was engaging with a decent company. I havent heard from them since April....
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Here's the photo from Sahara74's seat with the heat seams not rolling over the top of the seat (still a bit too long, but closer to the original) and also without a stitched seam on the seat base.

And here's a photo of my seat with the heat seams rolling over, but with no stitched seam on the base.

fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

I agree, those problems were fixed and it sucks that is what they sent you. My rear seat has no seam on the bottom and the upper section does not roll over the back. Mario is actively posting on their Facebook page. Maybe post over there to see if you can get a response. Also I will post the link to their staff and their contact info. I hope you get this resolved quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tmi-Products/168862783129065

http://www.tmiproducts.com/team/

His phone number is 1-800-624-7960 ext. 173
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

[quote="fla2smoker"]I agree, those problems were fixed and it sucks that is what they sent you. My rear seat has no seam on the bottom and the upper section does not roll over the back. Mario is actively posting on their Facebook page. Maybe post over there to see if you can get a response. Also I will post the link to their staff and their contact info. I hope you get this resolved quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tmi-Products/168862783129065

His phone number is 1-800-624-7960 ext. 173[/quote

I am in the UK but have emailed the general manager direct. Thank you
Sahara74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

I might as well jump into the mix. After all the back-and-forth with TMI over helping them improve the correctness of their '66 seat covers, the first set they sent me had the seams going "over" the top of the back seat backrest cushion. After I complained to Mario, he sent the replacement shown in my picture. The replacement's seams are not right but were closer and I was resolved to accept "close" and finally finish my project. Mario made the effort but for some reason the details of correctness we desire were not being communicated at the production level. All I can say is good luck !
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

I have had an email today from the general manager who says he is looking into it....I will keep you posted
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

as always its good to talk, I called TMI from the UK and spoke with Dean Satterfield. He assures me that my replacement covers will be made and sent to me ASAP along with the cover I sent them as a pattern. I shall report back in due course but he sounded like a real nice guy
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

marklee wrote:
as always its good to talk, I called TMI from the UK and spoke with Dean Satterfield. He assures me that my replacement covers will be made and sent to me ASAP along with the cover I sent them as a pattern. I shall report back in due course but he sounded like a real nice guy

Ok so to update. My new covers arrived while I was out of the country, they are as good as anyone could get reproducing 50 year old parts. I am thrilled with them, the fit better than the first covers sent, sit tighter, look better and are more accurate. They even sent my original cover back which Mario said he couldnt do. Mythanks have to go to Dean Satterfield and Kristen Raney for sorting it all for me. Very Happy

mushr06m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm want to order for my '66 red pigalle beetle brand new seats covers and door panels on the TMI site.
After all your post it was quite clear for me:
door panel : 19-1130-957 for one pocket

but on TMI web site impossible to find the good seat reference !
Ok for the 44-1136 but when I want to choose options can't find the bright red basket weaves insert option.

Any one ordered?

thanks.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

mushr06m wrote:
Hi,
I'm want to order for my '66 red pigalle beetle brand new seats covers and door panels on the TMI site.
After all your post it was quite clear for me:
door panel : 19-1130-957 for one pocket

but on TMI web site impossible to find the good seat reference !
Ok for the 44-1136 but when I want to choose options can't find the bright red basket weaves insert option.

Any one ordered?

thanks.

I would not order directly from their site, you will get a better discount going through one of their resellers.
Here is the link to their list of dealers globally:
https://www.tmiproducts.com/dealer-locator/find-a-dealer.html
mushr06m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer, but I'm in France and so need to find a dealer who sent abroad.
In France or Belgium nobody have this specific one year model.
Jbug don't make any international shipping and WW seems not to have the original covers for the one year 66 pigalle cover.
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 correct seat covers (and door panels) Reply with quote

Try emailing the people on this list. I am not sure if Mario is still our VW rep now...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: