Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro, fuel gauge inacurate
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Syncro, fuel gauge inacurate Reply with quote

About 3 weeks ago, my fuel gauge didn't show the correct level when I turned on my key. It acted as if the key was off and the fuel level needle was stuck to the far left side of the gauge.

After a day or two it then started working again, but now it's not reading the correct fuel tank level. Example, my gauge was just reading empty, so I filled up but the tank was full at only 8 gallons.

The tank seems to be half full when the gauge reads empty. I put a new sending unit in the tank a little over a year ago.

One other issue I also recently had, is my ignition switch went bad. I haven't had a chance to tear apart the steering column to fix it so I'm starting the van via a jumper wire to the starter.

Could this be a issue related to the ignition switch? (switch still works for everything but the actual starter)
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro, fuel gauge inacurate Reply with quote

Check the grounds. Then clean up the connection at the sending unit. My Syncro only showed 3/4 on the gauge when full it now reads at the top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro, fuel gauge inacurate Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Check the grounds. Then clean up the connection at the sending unit. My Syncro only showed 3/4 on the gauge when full it now reads at the top.

K, I'll do that when I fix my ignition switch.

TY
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro, fuel gauge inacurate Reply with quote

I am in the same boat right now when full it reads just above half and at empty is really about half full. Starting with grounds and connections when I get the time until then driving by mileage.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro, fuel gauge inacurate Reply with quote

I also added another ground to the chassis from the sending unit.

A great article from GoWesty:

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=174
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro, fuel gauge inacurate Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Replaced sending unit, all is well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: