Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc Brake Conversion Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Disc Brake Conversion Question Reply with quote

I want to change to 2.5" drop spindles with disc brakes up front. I'm sticking with drums out back.

My question is whose set-up to use. I have been trying to compare EMPI vs CB Performance. Are the kits much different in quality? If paying for CB's kit, is it worth putting a few extra bills in and going for Wilwoods?

Thanks
bladerunner80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Question Reply with quote

I would pay the additional cost and go with CB. I bought the rear disc conversion for my 66 and it could have been a lot of better. I had some odd caliper spacing issues and the brake line fittings are kind of garbage. There is a thread over in buggy section that talks about the same install and the problems they encountered.

As for their drop spindles, same thing, they are garbage. I installed a set of their drop spindles and tried to install a set of caliper adapters from VDub Engineering for wilwood brakes and the spacing was off on the spindle causing my driver's side brake setup bind. I ordered a set from CB and they fit perfectly. If I hadn't already install the rear disc kit from EMPI I would have sent it back on bought CB's.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Question Reply with quote

I've run 3 sets of CB spindles (2 were drum, 1 disc) and a CB rear kit. All worked great. The problems with the cheap stuff you read about on thesamba and the pictures people post make me glad I did. Go with CB, the price difference is not that much.

I would say don't bother with Wilwood calipers unless you are running a wider tire to take advantage of them. With the regular CB calipers, it was super easy to lock up a 135-165 size tire. Putting effort into a higher quality tire with more contact patch is money better spent, I think. A power brake and/or vented rotor upgrade would probably help more than a caliper change by itself. I saw big changes when switching master cylinders and a Wilwood adjustable bias valve. The Wilwoods are great calipers, but think of them as part of a total package. Look at when Wilwoods are used in the hot rod world- track cars and cars with big wheel and rotor upgrades. They don't put Wilwood calipers on a car where everything else is stock.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: