Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 Westy - first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Nice bus! Good call on getting the kids involved...these are the memories that they will have for a lifetime. Keep them interested in doing things even though they may mess up. And I tell you one thing useful are their little fingers and sharp eyes....very useful indeed. Laughing

That boy is going to outgrow the top bunk pretty soon, so start looking for a westy tent too...makes the camping soooo much better. Our tent is cooler than everybody elses....yep, kids notice these things. Congrats! Very Happy
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Well that's certainly a familiar looking Bus. Good luck with it. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
busnutdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

awesome score. I have a correct 72 bumper if you need one. Mike in Dover is doing Volksbash again in July. Dave in Delaware
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

busnutdave wrote:
I have a correct 72 bumper if you need one.

Didn't read the thread huh?
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Well that's certainly a familiar looking Bus. Good luck with it. Very Happy

Thats too funny, I would love to hear where you found it (I was told its from Brooklyn). I looked up the name on the owners card and it was some lady who is now in jail for kidnapping, yikes bad mojo! Any pictures, anything you can share would really be great man.

So I took a vacation since sometimes you just gotta chill. But before I left I pulled the motor. And when I got back I took it apart a bit. Hoping to finish tear down this week and decide on my plan - build a 1700 or an 1800 using stock carbs, mostly stock setup.

the pics. comments/suggestions/funny jokes, bring em

Artsy hipster shot

I moved the bus outside so I would have room to stay organized. This is my first type IV dismantle, so I took my sweet time labeling, and organizing hardware in ziplocks, and making notes for myself.

Nasty, but so far not clear what happened. Fingers crossed it was just a minor overheat, enough to spin a bearing and not break stuff.

I gotta watch this one, she has taken quite a liking to the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

busnutdave wrote:
awesome score. I have a correct 72 bumper if you need one. Mike in Dover is doing Volksbash again in July. Dave in Delaware

Dave whats up man, yup I am good on the bumper as luck would have it. Cool I should be at volksbash but not in this setup. see you around!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

I have been giving my bay some serious love the past 2 weeks. Almost every night and straight weekends thanks to great friends and an awesome wife. Where to start? Lets talk about the engine, easily the most intimidating thing about getting this camper back on the road.

Engine case is torn down, fully disassembled, cleaned, and the case, crank, cam, and heads are at the machine shop for inspection/work. He has experience with the type 4 motor. OG Carbs have been shipped out for a rebuild. The plan is to build a mostly stock 1.7L with dual solex carbs, stainless header/exhaust and maybe a mild cam to increase compression, but nothing crazy. I am welcome to any and all advice and opinions, cam not yet purchased.

Parts ordered/enroute:
-new flat-top pistons/cylinders
-bosch blue coil
-type 4 gasket set
-stainless headers - http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Type-4-Headers-155-208-42SCJ-p/155-208-42scj.htm
-stainless muffler - http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Muffler-155-208-R3500-p/155-208-r3500.htm

Need to order:
-good quality SVDA dist
-solid lifters
-plugs, wires
-seals, once I figure out whats not included in my rebuild kit

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Next on the agenda was to install the new canvas for the poptop. I decided to remove the roof since the subframe needed to be rebuilt on either side. Thats when I really started discovering more mice had lived in my bus. I spent the better part of a Saturday, vacuuming, hosing, bleaching (all while wearing a mask). I also sprayed an enzyme solution that cancels out the odor of the mouse urine.

4 trash bags full of mouse stuffing, urine and feces! Just unreal! I ended up having to remove ALL of the wood panels. I will now need to source an original for upfront since it was too far gone with the mouse house.

These last two pics are a camp stool I am restoring. This bus came with a stool that had no legs, and my buddy had a stool that had no pad (it was accidentally run over by him haha). Anyway I dismantled the legs and rewelded them and painted it. Good distraction.

Last edited by Schwing on Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Looking good.
Wood panel kits
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1309401

Good Luck
Tcash
sparky892
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Embarassed

Last edited by sparky892 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sparky892
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Next on the agenda was to install the new canvas for the poptop.

I have the same year and color.

You should, if you have not done so yet, remove the fuel tank and do as good cleaning.

I took mine out with the engine in, that was not fun, it was not to bad, but cleaned it good anyway. I did not do the por15 and time will tell if that was a mistake.

You will want to check those fuel fill rubber hoses and replace as needed.

I am putting mine back to as stock as I can, Back brakes where a hard item to find so I went with 73 brakes on the rear.

I will keep watching and see if you come up with something I am missing on doing to mine and my daughters..
62CdnNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

I also have the same year and colour.

Great looking bus. I will be watching your progress.

Best of luck with it all.
1972 Westfalia (sold)
1974 Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

MMmmm Stool. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
MMmmm Stool. Cool

Everybody likes to sit on my stool haha

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Oh and thank you Tcash, Sparky892 and 62CdnNotch, appreciate you guys checking out the build.

Sparky892 I am watching yours closely and I appreciate the feedback on the brakes which will be soon if I wrap up cosmetic stuff and I am still waiting on machine shop.

Operations had to move indoors due to weather. My garage is a mess since its a single bay now with 3 departments - westy interior, engine guts, and now a roof.

I will post more pics of the roof frame rebuild once I get them off my ipad.

New canvas, so excited. I bought the bus depot brand, not the german one. I just repainted the inside of the roof (just the outer edge). I am waiting on new rubber latches. I already bought all the stainless for re-assembling hinges once the canvas is done.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

I've been working on the camper every chance I get. I ended up removing the rest of the wood paneling and all of the insulation in the verticals due to mouse funk. I sanded and sealed the backside of the panels with Polyurethene and I used magic eraser and furniture polish to protect the side you see. These will get re-installed once I am done soundproofing, welding and painting some sections.

The poptop roof is now ready to be installed. New canvas, latches, hinges painted, rubber seals, and fringe. Installation is on hold until I am done welding and painting which is now the highest priority.

Some shots of the frame rebuild. I used marine grade epoxy to hold the wood in place, then attached them with my pneumatic stapler, and used fiberglass patches. Last I painted white.

Canvas is from bus depot. Installation was really straightforward, I took my sweet time.

Fringe is from a really great guy out of Michigan.
Outer rubber seals are Bus Depot
Over the top seal (between luggage rack and poptop) is just kampers.

Hinges installed with all new stainless hardware.

Hold-downs are from Bus Depot. Not really a fan of the yellow, but its all good.

Really excited about these curtains from Canada. You can see they match the originals exactly. I figured now is when I should do curtains before putting that closet back in.

Metalwork begins. I was waiting on both rockers so I started on the rear where I could make panels. Just coated in Ospho for now.
Mice were living IN my apron. Crazy bastards.

I bought Dupont Nason Single Stage Sierra, and I will paint blend because I would rather enjoy this camper than dig into a resto.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

I started drilling out the spot welds so that I can replace the rotten slider door track. If anyone has any advice, gotchas, etc on this job please do share.

Thanks.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Update time.

Parts keep coming in the mail I am having so much fun. The last bit of my engine parts arrive tomorrow and I will be dropping off my new cam, hd springs, and engine case for assembly/inspection. If all goes well I will have everything I need to start building a motor in the next week or so.

Got my vintage speed exhaust and headers. Taking this out of the box was great.

But I have decided I want to finish all metal work, paint areas that I have repaired, and assemble interior before I start on the engine.

I tore into the sliding door track but decided the inner rocker from Klockerholm was a giant piece of shit, so this side is on hold while I wait on a Gerson piece.

I had the parts to do the drivers side so I started.

Here is what it looked like after cutting away the outer rocker

Inner rocker gone

New inner rocker

Check out this pile. Its finicky to remove this stuff and not damage other areas. I just went slow. Really slow. There was beer involved.

Sorry for all the pics I am happy how this turned out. I got crazy lucky that the dogleg and b-pillar were solid.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Found something similar in my 77's ass end today Laughing I have to tend to some rot there like you Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 Westy - first bus Reply with quote

Clean looking work on the rocker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: